Sign in to follow this  
davenicoll

In sim ATC

1 hour ago, techman said:

I play flight simulations since 1980 and I have never seen a good working ATC. FSHud is close, but makes to many "unforced errors" and the developer doesnt listen or hasnt the ability to correct them, or insults people in his beta forum, BeyondATC seems to be the best concept so far, but there´s too much silence and I honestly expect nothing until the end of the year.

Concerning FSHud: for me it works almost perfectly. Just a bit too much heading instructions sometimes during the initial approach and perhaps it let's you descent quite early but other than that I absolutely love it. I use it every flight and wouldn't fly without it. I also have the idea the dev is behaving better lately. ;)

Concerning BATC: you clearly don't have an account on Discord...! Otherwise you would know that 'too much silence' is the total opposite of the truth. The devs speak with everyone on a daily basis. No silence at ALL. But yes, there is a lot of work to do still and I also don't expect BATC before the end of the year. (And until then I luckily got FSHud!)

9 hours ago, rjquick said:

You would think that in game ATC would be right up the alley for programmers and AI. Software simulating real world ATC communication would be an interesting challenge. Instead, it has been basically ignored and uses the same ATC that FS8 used back in 2002. I guess they just can't figure out how to do it.

Have you considered how difficult it is to program? Degree level in trigonometry, access to real-world AT Controllers for both FAA and ICAO procedures and then creating the voice sets with different accents for authenticity.

It’s incredibly complicated and it’s no surprise the default is so poor across all versions of flight sim over the last 30 years.

Radar Contact v4 remains extremely accurate and I use it for every flight. But to use it you’d have to use a different sim and I’m guessing you’re not about to do that.

2 hours ago, techman said:

I play flight simulations since 1980 and I have never seen a good working ATC. FSHud is close, but makes to many "unforced errors" and the developer doesnt listen or hasnt the ability to correct them, or insults people in his beta forum, BeyondATC seems to be the best concept so far, but there´s too much silence and I honestly expect nothing until the end of the year.

You’ve never heard of Radar Contact? Award winner in 2006 and still in use today and still supported here on AvSim in its own forum. Not compatible with MSFS otherwise it would be the outstanding choice.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Radar Contact was my go to ATC engine in FS9.  However, Norton Security managed to make it unable to run.

Until BATC comes out, I will continue to use the VFR flight following even when I fly IFR in airliners.  It's unrealistic but I still get some ATC as I only fly for fun, so I'm not after the ultimate in realism.

as someone who was in the close alpha  during all 2020 the best atc was before release i remember the was like over 15 different voices and  now is the same voice, they fix few things with updates but still useless. 

I stopped using ATC for GA  flying ages ago. I just have chatter files playing in the background and use FSHUD when flying the 738. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

3 hours ago, tup61 said:

Concerning FSHud: for me it works almost perfectly. Just a bit too much heading instructions sometimes during the initial approach and perhaps it let's you descent quite early but other than that I absolutely love it. I use it every flight and wouldn't fly without it. I also have the idea the dev is behaving better lately. 😉

Concerning BATC: you clearly don't have an account on Discord...! Otherwise you would know that 'too much silence' is the total opposite of the truth. The devs speak with everyone on a daily basis. No silence at ALL. But yes, there is a lot of work to do still and I also don't expect BATC before the end of the year. (And until then I luckily got FSHud!)

Yeah, and all the go arounds with FSLTL running etc. Its not perfect, its (in my opinion) the best we have, but I certainly dont wanna hear "Vacating runway with Alpha 3" again 😄

BATC: I don´t have a discord account because I don´t care about all the marketing blabla until the product is released. We have several examples in the gaming industry that are doing perfect jobs in maintaining the expectations but fail to deliver at the end (if they deliver...). So no, I am not on this hype train 🙂 too old for that 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Radar Contact v4 remains extremely accurate and I use it for every flight. But to use it you’d have to use a different sim and I’m guessing you’re not about to do that.

Ahh, I loved Radar Contact back in the days of FS9 and FSX.    I remember ordering it on CDs - they came safely packed in a jiffy bag all the way from the US to the UK; at a very reasonable price too!   You could easily access and get help from the two original gents that created it.   Golden days 😎

Would love to have seen it developed for upgrade to MSFS.... but recognise that with so many other devs trying to win the ATC space for MSFS, that's never going to happen now.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

14 hours ago, rjquick said:

"We choose to go to the Moon (or make a working ATC) in this decade (or in the next year) and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too"

Yes, if almost half a million worker would help, I see a good chance to get a good ATC (400000 workers worked for the Apollo program that you use as comparison). 😁

Edited by fsiscool

11 minutes ago, fsiscool said:

Yes, if almost half a million worker would help, I see a good chance to get a good ATC (400000 workers worked for the Apollo program that you use as comparison). 😁

Apples to oranges as far as the enormity of the task. JFK's speech can be applied to nearly anything and used as motivation.

"We choose to go to the Moon (or get out of bed this morning) in this decade (or in the next few minutes) and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too"

This example only requires one person. 🙂 The ATC issue doesn't have to be resolved all in one go. Many would be happy just to see some part of it be improved in passing FS updates. The updates tend to break things that were working with ATC rather than fix anything at this point.

They have no issue in creating complex, arcade-like 'missions' to save little Johnny from the cliff in the helicopter in the upcoming '24, but it is too complex and daunting to even attempt to improve a basic communication staple in aviation? I do not doubt for one second that they could do it if they wanted to. There are very smart and creative people working at Microsoft/Asobo. I have faith in their abilities if they are allowed to put their minds to it.

10 hours ago, techman said:

BeyondATC seems to be the best concept so far, but there´s too much silence and I honestly expect nothing until the end of the year

Silence? They're updating pretty frequently.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

fshud has a poor voices,  very robotic ,it will be good if it would have an option to use ivonna voices

Edited by motishow

15 minutes ago, motishow said:

fshud has a poor voices,  very robotic

What is or isn't robotic seems to be very (if not extremely) subjective. I know some say FSHud sounds very robotic, I tend to disagree. FSHud sounds quit convincing to me. It's one of the better ones imho. Not robotic at all...! I heard other ATC addons that REALLY sound robotic... imho... ;) But well, to each his own. It's good that there are various options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

Silence? They're updating pretty frequently.

Wake me up when the final product is released in a working state.

I've noticed that ATC often goes silent (though the text is still there) after slewing or increasing the sim rate.  Is that just me or has anyone else found the same?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

I've noticed that ATC often goes silent (though the text is still there) after slewing or increasing the sim rate.  Is that just me or has anyone else found the same?

It can't handle warping around. Have seen this, as well as Azure text to speech errors, and not recognizing where you have warped to, thinking you are still where you left off. on and on and.....

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.