Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Highest actively monthly user number in over a year for MSFS

So it looks like MSFS had its highest actively monthly user number in over a year, and the second highest returning user number ever:

LlhYINx.png

Please note this is not the all time high user number for MSFS. I think that was probably back in 2020 on its release (or perhaps the XBox release of MSFS back in 2021). But over the last year, MSFS had its highest "actively monthly user number in over a year" according to Jorg. That's interesting because I wonder if some of the market for the more serious flight simmers are shifting further over to MSFS, if the Navigraph survey is showing the trends of the more serious flight simmer market. It would be consistent with the last Navigraph survey, which showed MSFS reaching 85% in 2023 for "most of the time" for the survey question "How often do you fly any of the following flight simulator software?", versus 75% in 2022.

As for the second highest returning user number ever, I believe Jorg was saying the Top Gun release had the highest number of returning users for MSFS.  So the last month saw the highest second highest returning user number ever, after the Top Gun update. That's also interesting because aside from the A300 release by iniBuilds and Sim Update 14, I don't recall any event or release that was really that earth shattering for MSFS in Q4 of 2023 that would explain the increase in active monthly users or returning users (was Sim Update 14 really that good?).

Seems like MSFS 2020 is in a good spot before MSFS 2024. Now if they have a smooth and good MSFS 2024 release, I can see the numbers getting even better for MSFS. If MSFS 2024 is plagued with issues and problems on its release, I can see the reverse happening and MSFS losing some momentum.

You can listen to Jorg's summary of the highest active monthly user numbers and second highest returning user number here:

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 8

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Those stats simply cannot be true, I have been away from my sim PC for the past two months!...😎

Edited by Bernard Ducret
  • Like 4

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

Like dreams, statistics are a form of wish fulfilment.

Jean Baudrillard

• Like 5

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Dont  think  the  other  sim  will find  some  other  spin  on  this  🙂

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have no idea why "numbers of users returning" has any value for statistics. Most people might have just done a flight in the F18 and quit MSFS again and went on to play something else.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I have no idea why "numbers of users returning" has any value for statistics. Most people might have just done a flight in the F18 and quit MSFS again and went on to play something else.

It has value for a lot of reasons. One reason is because it shows if MSFS is retaining its users. If the users return and remain active with MSFS, they are more likely to purchase add-ons in the MSFS marketplace.

Another reason is that some users may own multiple civilian flight simulators. So if they are returning to MSFS, they may be finding value with MSFS that they may not be finding with the other civilian flight simulators they have installed. I suspect that after the release of the study level airliners back in the spring of 2022, the returning users to MSFS was probably pretty high from spring to summer of 2022.  I know a lot of Twitch streamers that were streaming MSFS on its release, and then stopped streaming MSFS from 2020 to 2022. Chewwy was one of those streamers. He streamed some MSFS on its release in 2020.  Then in 2021, he was mostly streaming other flight simulators, but had the odd stream on MSFS, until the spring of 2022. When the study level airliners came out for MSFS in 2022, he virtually switched his streaming to MSFS full time in 2022 (and now Chewwy works for the MSFS team). Another example is edwardthepilot, who was mostly also streaming other flight simulators, until the study level airliners in 2022. Now edwardthepilot primarily streams MSFS.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 7

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

"HIGHEST MONTHLY ACTIVE USER NUMBER IN OVER A YEAR" @FiorentoniDid you hear properly? He said HIGHEST...!! 😄

Look, we all know Jörg likes his marketing, but the statistic means nothing, why? Because like he says, "now the holiday season is behind us..."

Guess what happens in the holiday season? People have the spare time to play games.

As long as MSFS' average monthly active user number doesn't plummet, that's all that matters for us flight simmers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I use the sim more now because it's winter time where I live (near D.C.) and can not be outside doing more productive things besides playing games like MSFS in the cold.

The Avsim way, anything positive posted about MSFS, will be immediately followed by members claiming that the positive comments are just not true. 

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, pete_auau said:

Dont  think  the  other  sim  will find  some  other  spin  on  this  🙂

Dude, are you hitting the space twice when you're typing on purpose? lol

• Like 3

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

2 hours ago, F737MAX said:

"HIGHEST MONTHLY ACTIVE USER NUMBER IN OVER A YEAR" @FiorentoniDid you hear properly? He said HIGHEST...!! 😄

Look, we all know Jörg likes his marketing, but the statistic means nothing, why? Because like he says, "now the holiday season is behind us..."

Guess what happens in the holiday season? People have the spare time to play games.

As long as MSFS' average monthly active user number doesn't plummet, that's all that matters for us flight simmers.

I would think that more players with more spare time almost certainly results in more sales. More sales is good for MS and good for me.

• Like 3

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

1 minute ago, hansb57 said:

I would think that more players with more spare time almost certainly results in more sales

If it's a consistent theme, absolutely. A one-off data point, meh...

Which chart do you think looks healthier?

spacer.png

spacer.png

^^A one-off 'highest monthly active users in over a year' vs. 'Mr Consistency'

The great news is MSFS is the second chart, chugging along nicely with steady figures. I'm not worried about resources being pulled or the game's servers being switched off anytime soon.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

Dude, are you hitting the space twice when you're typing on purpose? lol

Better 

than

hitting

enter

twice

• Like 4

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

3 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Look, we all know Jörg likes his marketing, but the statistic means nothing, why?

Because the "active users in a year" is a simple counter. Person accidentally opens MSFS? +1 active user, even if he never uses it again in that year.
What actually matters for marketplace sales is the amount of hours users play MSFS. Of course every "new" user is a potential long time user, but this percentage can vary wildly. I think only a very small percentage of MSFS users are regular users. Still a lot more than with P3D or XPL in total numbers, but what I was trying to say is that "active users in a year" has no meaning without the number of hours of usage.

• Like 1

I'm buying more these days from the in-sim Marketplace than I ever purchased before. Thanks to MSFS, now is truly the Golden Age of flight simulation.

• Like 4

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.