Sign in to follow this  
GoranM

Official. XP12 has outsold XP11!

11 hours ago, GCBraun said:

That is good news, but it makes even harder for me to understand why XP11 still has more active users than XP12. 

Hi,
Depends on where these new users are coming from! How much of the 12% increase are coming from Professional setups? Also, how many come from those that have purchased more than one copy of XP12? Multiple computers and networking have picked up the pace over these past few years. If most of these new purchases come from these two areas, it won't help the 3rd party developers much.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

14 hours ago, GCBraun said:

That is good news, but it makes even harder for me to understand why XP11 still has more active users than XP12. 

Is that number based  on Steam stats ?
If so it may being biased by many people buying XP12 direct from LR before it was released on Steams.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Is that number based  on Steam stats ?
If so it may being biased by many people buying XP12 direct from LR before it was released on Steams.

Yep, I have four purchased copies from LR direct.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

16 hours ago, GoranM said:

I stand corrected.  I was informed it is for the same time period.

Apologies.  The excitement got to me.

So it's "only" GREAT news 😁

The most important part is having the truth that X-Plane 12 is increasing XPs market share year over year.

It seems any dev who's satisfied with their XP biz should have confidence to continue on with the platform.

That might also help explain why iniBuilds seems to have back tracked on their abandonment of X-Plane.

I can only hope that Flying Iron Sims will do the same and at least upgrade their existing excellent warbirds to XP v12.

Edited by UrgentSiesta
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

So it's "only" GREAT news 😁

The most important part is having the truth that X-Plane 12 is increasing XPs market share year over year.

It seems any dev who's satisfied with their XP biz should have confidence to continue on with the platform.

That might also help explain why iniBuilds seems to have back tracked on their abandonment of X-Plane.

I can only hope that Flying Iron Sims will do the same and at least upgrade their existing excellent warbirds to XP v12.

Going by the conversations in the Slack group, and the growth of the Laminar team, the future is looking very bright for X-Plane, Laminar and the 3rd party dev community.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UrgentSiesta said:

I wish I can be a fly on the wall to see if its true.

6 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

X-Plane 12 is increasing XPs market share year over year.

You are misinterpreting what it means. We simply don't have enough information to draw that conclusion. The fact that  xplane 12's adoption rate is 12% faster than xplane 11 tells us absolutely nothing about its market share. This 12% number is just a comparison of xplane 11 to xplane 12.  It could easily be xplane 11 users converting to xplane 12. The closest thing we have for market share is navigraph even though it really doesn't represent the full sim market.

Edited by brinx
  • Like 1

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

29 minutes ago, brinx said:

It could easily be xplane 11 users converting to xplane 12.

No.  X-Plane 12 has sold more units than X-Plane 11 for the same time period.  If it was just X-Plane 11 customers moving to X-Plane 12, the number of sales would be identical.  

You're overthinking it and coming up with some kind of weird conclusion.  X-Plane 12 has sold more units than X-Plane 11, for the same time period.  That's all it is. And the fact it's sold more is a positive indication of where it's going.

I've seen people on reddit make mention that X-Plane 12 is their first venture into X-Plane.  

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

X-Plane 12 has sold more units than X-Plane 11, for the same time period.  That's all it is. And the fact it's sold more is a positive indication of where it's going.

I agree with you.  We are both pointing out the same thing. Xplane 12 sold more copy in the first 18 months that xplane 11 did and that is a positive. That is all is it. I was only pointing out that it is not correct to say market share went because sales went up without accounting for things such as total userbase in the flight sim market. Sales can increase while simultaneously market share decrease.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC

How I take it... despite MS now dominating the market:  X-Plane 12 has still sold more copies than X-Plane 11 in the same time period when the other sim didn't even exist. Even if this just accounts for everyone who owns X-Plane 11 upgrading to 12, it still shows that the sim has something they want. We're still comparatively early in the X-Plane 12 run as well, with many things still yet to come.

How this translates into sales for addon developers is another matter. There is no denying that we simply aren't seeing much new these days, and maybe the store will be one way LR can attract back high quality developers to the platform.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Just now, tonywob said:

when the other sim didn't even exist.

That's actually a very good point.  I didn't even look at it that way.

6 hours ago, brinx said:

I agree with you.  We are both pointing out the same thing. Xplane 12 sold more copy in the first 18 months that xplane 11 did and that is a positive. That is all is it. I was only pointing out that it is not correct to say market share went because sales went up without accounting for things such as total userbase in the flight sim market. Sales can increase while simultaneously market share decrease.

You are right. But we can assume that the market-share did increase because the last navigraph-study shows that the part of users using XP (11 or 12) as their preferred sim increased from 16 to 20% within the last year. This is a significant growth of market shares by +25%.

Edited by Franz007
  • Like 2

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

8 hours ago, brinx said:

So that slide meant that in the first 18 months of Xplane 12's release, Xplane 12 outsold Xplane 11 in the first 18 months of Xplane 11's release?

This topic and that slide is very confusing.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Flightsky said:

So that slide meant that in the first 18 months of Xplane 12's release, Xplane 12 outsold Xplane 11 in the first 18 months of Xplane 11's release?

This topic and that slide is very confusing.

Correct. For example, if xplane 11  sold 1 million copies in 18 months. It would mean that xplane 12 sold 1.12 million copies in 18 months. Or if xplane 11 sold 100,000 copies in 18 months then xplane 12 has sold 112,000 copies in 18 months. Basically, units sold over a given time for 11 vs 12.  LR does not release the actual sales figures.

Edited by brinx
  • Like 1