Sign in to follow this  
davies87

I miss FS9

Ever since my laptop packed up in September i've missed playing fs9.  this might sound weird but playing Fs2020 just doesn't feel the same. It feels empty. In Fs9 i had all the Ai set up after worldwide with correct liveries/schedules. I had sceneries around the world, all AFCADS updated and many aircraft installed. It felt like a living aviation world. Yes the graphics compared to today is awful but it was my world and was the perfect form of escapism. 

It feels like now I won't have the time or money to invest a new laptop and create the world again. Hopefully at some point this will change. I want to thank the community from ai,AFCAD,Scenery to Aircraft for keeping me entertained for 20years. I hope when/if I do come back there is still some activity in the community

Kind regards

an FS9 fan

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

You express how I feel about P3DV5. It just feels like home.

• Like 3

Vic green

This is how i feel about MSFS - also not my cup of tea, even visually is stunning.

Artur 

Although I had dabbled in flight simulation before, FS9 was the first one I spent any serious time upon.  I just loved the Dreamfleet 727 and criss-crossed the world with it, enjoying every second on the ground and in the air.  I held on to FS9 for an unconscionable time even after FSX came out, mostly because of that model (the fact that my PC wasn't very good helped), but eventually made the jump, and then to X-plane and latterly MSFS.  I still have FS9 installed on my old machine and occasionally give it (and the 727) a spin, but I find the lack of a proper virtual cockpit and the clunky controls off-putting and quickly return to the modern world.

So yes, I miss FS9 - like I miss most of my beloved childhood memories, that are better off for remaining memories and not being revisited.

24 minutes ago, lzamm said:

Although I had dabbled in flight simulation before, FS9 was the first one I spent any serious time upon.  I just loved the Dreamfleet 727 and criss-crossed the world with it, enjoying every second on the ground and in the air.  I held on to FS9 for an unconscionable time even after FSX came out, mostly because of that model (the fact that my PC wasn't very good helped), but eventually made the jump, and then to X-plane and latterly MSFS.  I still have FS9 installed on my old machine and occasionally give it (and the 727) a spin, but I find the lack of a proper virtual cockpit and the clunky controls off-putting and quickly return to the modern world.

So yes, I miss FS9 - like I miss most of my beloved childhood memories, that are better off for remaining memories and not being revisited.

😄

I don't... because I still have it in my laptop. Last month I went on holidays. I brought my laptop with me, and man, I think I never enjoyed flying so much and not caring about FPS, CPU temperatures or CTDs. I flew the Level-D 767, iFly 747 (the payware one) and the HNAC A300. Now I want to reinstall the Dreamfleet 727.

Graphics aren't the best, I know, but I have my main rig, P3Dv5 and MSFS for that.

• Like 2

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

May I second Luis words? No need to miss FS9, when you have it. spacer.png

Dedl
(FS2004-Team)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dedl said:

May I second Luis words? No need to miss FS9, when you have it. spacer.png

Dedl
(FS2004-Team)

Dedl, I don't miss it. I was merely snickering at Izzam's post. You know I love it! Wait til David and I release KRNO for FS9 which is finally, and I do mean finally, nearing release.......

Hope your doing well,

Michael

RNO_1
RNO_2
RNO_3
RNO_4
RNO_5
RNO_6
spacer.png

Edited by PebbleBeach
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 4:22 PM, davies87 said:

Ever since my laptop packed up in September i've missed playing fs9.  this might sound weird but playing Fs2020 just doesn't feel the same. It feels empty. In Fs9 i had all the Ai set up after worldwide with correct liveries/schedules. I had sceneries around the world, all AFCADS updated and many aircraft installed. It felt like a living aviation world. Yes the graphics compared to today is awful but it was my world and was the perfect form of escapism. 

It feels like now I won't have the time or money to invest a new laptop and create the world again. Hopefully at some point this will change. I want to thank the community from ai,AFCAD,Scenery to Aircraft for keeping me entertained for 20years. I hope when/if I do come back there is still some activity in the community

Kind regards

an FS9 fan

Why buy 'new'? There are tons of 'lightly used' Laptops out there that'll run FS9 perfectly well. Get a few years use out of it, then move on to another. Heck, I'm thinking of getting another one as a Spare! 

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

On 2/13/2024 at 8:22 PM, davies87 said:

It feels like now I won't have the time or money to invest a new laptop and create the world again.

5 hours ago, ViperPilot said:

Why buy 'new'? There are tons of 'lightly used' Laptops out there that'll run FS9 perfectly well

Actually, when I purchased my last 2 laptops, I chose them with FSX in mind. For my current one, not only I wanted it to run FSX, but to be less than 1.5 kg (since I knew I wanted to move it a lot). That's why mine looks so premium. It can run FSX, but I didn't like the temperatures I got, and I moved my airliner flying to FS9. But I agree: depending on the addons you fly (specially panel and traffic), and if you don't care that much regarding weight, you can get something cheaper and keep 30 FPS almost anywhere. Just make sure the base CPU frequency is not that low.

To the OP: if I understood you correctly, your old laptop no longer works. If you can remove the HDD (or SSD) and put it into an external enclosure, there may be a chance of recovering your FS9 info. That may solve the time part.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Long live FS9 , Level-D 767 on Windows 11

• Like 2

I found this thread by accident, but I thought I'd chime in. I had FS9 and the Level-D 767, so I know what that buzz is about. But let me say that I think I've found "peak sim" for me now. It has a bit of a FS9 vibe, so maybe you guys will understand.

For "world" visuals (displaying everything that's not in the cockpit), I use MSFS, which is pretty beautiful. But that's networked in to PSX, another stand-alone sim, which supplies aircraft systems, cockpit views, and flight physics. The other sim, PSX, is a down-to-the-circuit-breaker perfect simulation of a 747-400, but the developer didn't go the route of concentrating on virtual cockpits or VR. Instead, you get a 2D panel.

That makes most MSFS users cringe ("the 90s called and they want their 2D panel back") but from an immersion standpoint, it's fine. You can look at the entire cockpit from overhead, to P6 and P7, down to the pedestal, and literally every switch works, including the interphone. It even has CPDLC, SATCOM, and a functioning weather radar with all the switches. You can look at thunderstorms using the tilt and the gain, and the radar displays shadows and turbulence, just like the real 747. You can get refueling reports on paper from the cockpit printer, and send maintenance and scheduling memos over ACARS. While on the ground you can trick the airplane into thinking it's in the air by pulling circuit breakers to fool the air/ground relays. And you can do anything on the FMC that you can do in the real aircraft, including using RTE2. And the TCAS will show live real-world traffic with an add-on. And there's a lively community forum where the principal dev answers questions directly, usually within a few hours. And it's still being updated (some 200 updates since 2014).

Anyway, all of this sounds fantastic, but 99.9999% of people are thrown off by the fact that there's no virtual cockpit. 

Fans of FS9 should get it, when I say that it doesn't really matter. The sim (PSX) is quite perfect for me--even though it came out in 2014. And with MSFS providing the "eye candy" visuals outside the window, this era ia really peak sim for me. 

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. Sorry for posting this in the FS9 forum... I guess it has nothing to do with FS9, except my solidarity with you guys. 🙂 (Mods can delete if that's appropriate.)

Edited by prolixindec

Hard to beat FS9 in all areas! It does nearly everything right. And performs effortlessly. 

Retro is cool! 

On 2/22/2024 at 10:43 PM, prolixindec said:

Anyway, all of this sounds fantastic, but 99.9999% of people are thrown off by the fact that there's no virtual cockpit. 

Fans of FS9 should get it, when I say that it doesn't really matter. The sim (PSX) is quite perfect for me--even though it came out in 2014. And with MSFS providing the "eye candy" visuals outside the window, this era ia really peak sim for me. 

And what do you use as external model?

Best regards,