Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Fix for Grainy Clouds...

I could be wrong, but I don't have any grainy clouds since 2 years at least.

• Like 2

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

The CFG edit is now since the release of MSFS.

His other tweak, using the NVidia tool, is more specific, but he says in his video that "it just makes it a bit better". So the video is mostly a clickbait, not fixing anything (excepted for the MSFS users who still didn't know about the CFG adjustments).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Grainy clouds were introduced with the SU5 Great Graphical Downgrade, they got marginally better in an update thereafter but nowhere near the levels they were before that god forsaken update.

I found some early pics of early MSFS on my old pc before SU5 the other day, I shed a tear at how good looking the clouds were 😥

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

My clouds do not appear grainy, although I have only used the "Few Clouds" and "Scattered Clouds" options to date.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Grain free here. (I always use Live Weather but not VR)

Edited by St Mawgan

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

My clouds do not appear grainy, although I have only used the "Few Clouds" and "Scattered Clouds" options to date.

It's seemingly a Live Weather thing and more apparent in VR.

• Upvote 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Low resolution voxel grid = grainy.  No way around that currently and I hope 2024 improves this lord knows the horsepower is there in spades now for those so endowed.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Low resolution voxel grid = grainy.  No way around that currently

That's right.

On the other hand, there's a part of me that can't help comparing the clouds we have now with the ones we had back in the P3D (<=4) / FSX days. I'm still using the same computer. Today I can get in MSFS some very nice looking clouds up to the horizon. This was not an option in FSX or P3D, where I had to cap the cloud distance down to a certain distance, else my FPS would crawl down. Oh, and these were 2D clouds rotating everywhere...

The other day I made a flight in a liner and I just realized how unbelievably GOOD the sky and cloud cover looked like, far, far away to the horizon. Yes, MSFS clouds don't look very good up close, but they look good everywhere else !

• Like 2

I am being perfectly honest here when I say that the clouds do look good close up on my PC. Cloud surfing looks so realistic, with wispy tendrils floating past my window. Some of the clouds are partially transparent, but lots of them are totally opaque, and I can see nothing when I pass through these until I emerge on the other side. The experience can be quite breathtaking at times.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Daube said:

The other day I made a flight in a liner and I just realized how unbelievably GOOD the sky and cloud cover looked like, far, far away to the horizon. Yes, MSFS clouds don't look very good up close, but they look good everywhere else !

I don't understand the technology enough to know how possible this might be, but I have to think the answer is....very possible.  I'm hoping for MSFS 2024 Asobo uses an algorithm or what have you that at a minimum evaluates how far the user is from clouds, and cloud density and whatever else comes into play, and dynamically adjusts voxel resolution, like DynamicLOD is doing for texture and object terrain.   As you say out in the distance things look quite decent so no need to amp up resolution there but up close it would be wonderful to see some more distinct basic cloud types and less of that really blurry stuff you can see now even using Ultra for clouds.  If we think about how much more processing power is available now versus MSFS launch seems no question many can now cope with more rendering demands from clouds, so yes add in the DynamicCloudLOD and let the users adjust w/ a slider or two.     

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I am being perfectly honest here when I say that the clouds do look good close up on my PC. Cloud surfing looks so realistic, with wispy tendrils floating past my window. Some of the clouds are partially transparent, but lots of them are totally opaque, and I can see nothing when I pass through these until I emerge on the other side. The experience can be quite breathtaking at times.

If what you see now is quite breathtaking, how would you describe this, and actually being able to fly thru it.  At the moment we are a long ways from this, but it's worth developing towards this end and at some point it will happen....even if it take a Quantum Computer to produce it!  Below this is a recent screenshot out of the sim showing the low budget resolution effects with close up clouds

337-D41-B4-C89-C-4425-81-A4-520-C9356985

In a word, blurry by comparison:KRNO-low-res-clouds.png

Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

In a word, blurry by comparison:

Doh! ……..Dat be 3 words……

🙂 

• Like 2

Cheers

Steve Hall

On 2/15/2024 at 6:24 PM, Daube said:

That's right.

On the other hand, there's a part of me that can't help comparing the clouds we have now with the ones we had back in the P3D (<=4) / FSX days. I'm still using the same computer. Today I can get in MSFS some very nice looking clouds up to the horizon. This was not an option in FSX or P3D, where I had to cap the cloud distance down to a certain distance, else my FPS would crawl down. Oh, and these were 2D clouds rotating everywhere...

They looked so much better in the first year after release - can't stop seeing them longingly when I see the latest.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

No grainy clouds, what am I doing wrong?  😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310