Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mmcmah said:

I'm away from this thread for a couple of days and there's at least one new feature and tons of messages!

I downloaded and installed v0.4.2-test_10Mar240100Z in order to try out the new Auto FPS feature. I put it in a very taxing environment and felt that it created too many stutters by trying to change settings to hit the FPS mark. Between changing the clouds (which I find creates the biggest stutters) and the TLOD a lot, I felt like a lot of stutters were created when I kept oscillating around the FPS mark.

I turned off Auto FPS and went back to non-Expert mode, which I had previously felt worked really well. I don't know if something changed in the underlying logic of that mode, but I also felt like that mode wasn't as smooth as it had previously been. I also felt that it varied the TLOD a fair bit but that it hit a hard limit when trying to adjust things downwards. As such, I have settled on Expert mode again and enable a 50 TLOD at 50 feet and that seems to be working well in demanding environments. I will try the insane settings up above a bit in more remote locations to see how much of a difference I see.

Thanks for the feedback and for trying out Auto Target FPS, which I admit was a bit rough around the edges in the test version you tried, but it was the first release of it. I am putting the finishing touches on a revamped Auto Target FPS mode so I ask that you don't write it off just yet and give this new version a go when it comes out shortly.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

7 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

@Reset XPDR, I haven't been able to thoroughly follow this thread any more lately (I'm still happily using your DynamicLOD app.). I just wanted to ask if you still see the chance to make this AutoFPS app compatible with systems that need to keep a fixed steady framerate (like with a monitor that is not G-Sync capable.).

I use a tool called CoreTemp which measures and shows the Temps and Loads of all CPU cores. I just came to think if you could adapt your new AutoTargetFPS feature to a AutoTargetTemp or AutoTargetLoad feature, by reading the temps resp. loads of the CPU cores (averaged over all cores and over several seconds) from a tool like CoreTemp and thus adjust LODs to keep that target even with a fixed framerate.

7 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

I haven't forgotten about this and it is on my wish list, but TBH it is hardest thing to incorporate such a feature, especially having only an external look at MSFS's CPU and GPU thread workings, and I am winding down development operations so it is unlikely I will ever get to this sorry.

Understood. I seem to be the only one who is interested in such a feature anyway. So maybe it's just time for me to finally get a G-Sync monitor.

Until then I'll keep on using the DynamicLOD app.

• Like 1

Thank you for developing this tool. I would like to share my experiences as well.

I had final version of v0.4.1 and it was running smooth. No or negligible stutters. However when I downloaded v0.4.2 test 10Mar240100Z, I had major stutters in cockpit and external view. Then I disabled Auto FPS function, stutters reduced but not as smooth as v0.4.1. When I completely exit from the tool, all stutters went away.

Don't take it as compliant to the tool. Just want to give you my experiences to fix or change the difference logic behind between v0.4.1 and test v0.4.2.

• Like 2

Thanks for this tool! I have a lot of admiration for people who are smart enough to develop a program like this. Works very well on my machine .

Great job!

Jozeff

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

New Test Version 11Mar241020Z now available here.

Executive summary of changes:

• Enhanced saving and restoration of MSFS settings by the app to withstand MSFS CTDs.
  • Revamped Auto Target FPS Logic based on tester feedback.
    • In the air, Auto Target FPS will now only ever adjust down (only if a gross discrepancy in performance versus settings occurs), not up, until further notice.
    • In the air, if Auto Target FPS is newly enabled it will adjust lower than previously, to allow TLOD Max headroom.
    • When using FG, MSFS must have the focus for Auto Target FPS to update.
    • Per previous advice, it is best to enable Auto Target FPS on the ground and leave it that way for the entire flight.
  • More gradual TLOD changes when close to your target FPS.
  • Various bug fixes and log file enhancements.

Detailed changes:

• Enhanced saving and restoration of MSFS settings by the app to withstand MSFS CTDs. When the app loads, it looks in its config file for default settings being saved there. If they are there, it means they didn't restore properly from either MSFS CTDing or an issue with the app, so the app will use the defaults saved in the config file, otherwise it will read the defaults from MSFS settings. When you finish a flight or exit the app, the default settings used for the session will be restored and the config file entries will be removed, signifying that it was a clean restoration for the next session.
  • Auto Target FPS changes
    • Removed Auto Target FPS timer and will just use the average FPS being read after settling time, which is a 5 second average in any case.
    • Disabled Auto target FPS auto adjusting upwards when in the air until I can work out a better mechanism to use this without compromising descent graphics quality by having to go through TLOD min and cloud quality reduction to reduce if necessary on descent.
    • Changed auto target FPS auto adjustment in flight when using FG to only occur if FG is active.
    • Added FPS settle timer with Auto Target FPS for transitioning to MSFS having the focus to give the FPS time to settle before making any auto adjustment determination.
    • Changed Auto target FPS auto adjustment in the air to be a progressively lower portion of the current average FPS, ranging from 95% on the ground to 85% at or above 3000 ft, to give head room for Max TLOD that should likely be achievable at altitude.
  • Added logging of GPU load, if available from GPU-Z companion app.
  • Fixed incorrect display of target FPS when an app setting changed and auto target FPS was active.
  • Consolidated cloud quality reduction reset code to a single function and added a call to this from any setting change that would involve this setting, including Use Expert Options.
  • Reduced TLOD step size proportionate to the FPS deviation from target FPS for the TLOD Min on Ground/Landing option.
Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

1 hour ago, vortac said:

I had final version of v0.4.1 and it was running smooth. No or negligible stutters. However when I downloaded v0.4.2 test 10Mar240100Z, I had major stutters in cockpit and external view. Then I disabled Auto FPS function, stutters reduced but not as smooth as v0.4.1. When I completely exit from the tool, all stutters went away.

You are the second person to tell me this. I have completely revamped the Auto Target FPS in the new test version I just posted, so hopefully that will fix it for you. If not, please let me know and I will take a closer look.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

Initial impression is: Auto Target FPS mode = much better. I set it on the ground, and I promise not to touch it for the entire flight. 

Disclaimer: I've set TLOD to 600 in usercfg.opt and OLOD 200 (MSFS menu), clouds ultra. Frame generation on, FPS unlocked. 

On the ground on a remote, icy and probably godforsaken airport very close to the Arctic Circle, I got: FG-FPS 71, TLOD 600, OLOD 1000

Cruising at 11,000ft: FG-FPS 62, TLOD 1185, OLOD 200

These were the droids values I was aiming for with non-expert mode, non-ATFPS mode in my previous posts. Now: AutoFPS does it for me. 

I'll continue testing and check the log file in between also. 

EDIT: At cruise altitude, I notice that TLOD changes ever so slightly. Also, the status line continously (does Chrome has an auto-correct feature?) switches between TLOD+ 600 Priority and FPS Priority. Is this working as intended? Honest question, no critisicm (spelling, aargh). 

EDIT2: Occasionally status will switch to TLOD+ 300 Priority. Not really sure what this terminology means. I don't need to know everything though, however I tend to me quite inqusitive!

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

New Test Version

I get an error message when installing the test build: Exception 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' during AutoStart.exe. Anybody else? Happy start it manually though (which works and is the most important thing)

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

31 minutes ago, DAD said:

I get an error message when installing the test build: Exception 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' during AutoStart.exe. Anybody else? Happy start it manually though (which works and is the most important thing)

I haven't seen this with any of the builds so far. But it seems that it doesn't have any negative consequences?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

50 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I haven't seen this with any of the builds so far. But it seems that it doesn't have any negative consequences?

not when startet manually. will see after the next reboot as obviously the autostart may be affected

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

9 minutes ago, DAD said:

not when startet manually. will see after the next reboot as obviously the autostart may be affected

Some people in this thread have reported trouble with auto-start. I haven't enabled it. I just start AutoFPS after loading into the flight. Works fine. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

Without going into any details, this is your best one yet.  Thank you for all your efforts!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John Wingold

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Some people in this thread have reported trouble with auto-start. I haven't enabled it. I just start AutoFPS after loading into the flight. Works fine. 

The same as I do being it AutoFPS or Adatptive LOD 

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi Guys and gals,

I'm on a 78003xd + 4090 + quest 3 +32gb.

I have been following this thread with deep interest.

As a user of a quest 3 VR HMD, I have been wondering how i can get the auto fps app to work.

Well, with a locked 36fps, with ASW on adaptive, and ultra and high settings in sim, and 1.4 oculus super-sampling, I seem to have had some real decent success so far.  I dont know how it was working exactly, because my fps never budges from an alternating 36 or 37 fps. The 37fps may be an inaccurate number been shown from "rivatuner", but not fully sure. My logic is that if that fps number is true, and 36 and 37 are being cycled intermittently, then perhaps the auto fps logic is using this "tiny" variation and providing some benefit.  Bit baffled at this point, but i havnt been able to get enough time dedicated to it thus far.

Two days ago, is when I began simming with auto-fps, and at first it seemed to work a charm. Rising from base 75 TLOD from 1000ft, and gently rising up to a max of 350 in the DC.  Amazing. Upon landing it was as smooth as peanut butter. 

- That was with 34 fps target and at 5% deviency.  Looking back, i still dont fully understand how it was working.

Then I seen someone mention a 10% target. This didn't seem to work as well, so i reverted back to 5%.

Got to try again tonight, but I hope this continues to provide good results,  because my first few flights with auto-fps were mind blowing.  At one stage i was taxi'ing around Heathrow with full live traffic, and it was stunning, truly stunning. To do this before, I would really have to lower settings and also lower resolution, which never made it worth it.

Like other posters, I cant seem to understand how the TLOD lowers itself. After all, the fps never breaks lock of 36. If it ever does, its goodnight Vienna. 

Also, if it doesn't work well again like the first few flights, my thinking is, i can at least make use of the "on ground/below 1000ft" TLOD minimums. Then, just keep my max TLOD at my usual in-sim values. That way, i get great airport experiences and a normal flying experience in the air. My thinking is that, because of the 36  fps lock (half of 72hz) , and the auto-fps logic not been able to take advantage of a decreasing fps, at least it will detect my high fps overall, and increase from the tarmac upwards, essentially taking me to my max TLOD in the air.  Then, upon landing, it reduces automatically when i hit the tarmac again. So for me, even if it doesn't fully work with fps locks (VR headsets), i can at least have a much better experience then with no auto-fps app at all.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Getting very nice results with latest test build! Just finished a 450nm GA flight in Northern Norway, cruise 11,000ft, landed at several airports along the way. Auto target FPS from start to finish, no tampering with the structure to make it more docile settings, just set-and forget.

Key highlights:

• FPS 60-90
  • TLOD 300-1000
  • At some airports I even got TLOD 600 on ground

I really do appreciate the higher TLODs latest build gives me. IMHO it does make a difference when doing scenic flights. My country newer looked this good in a sim 😁

70JDS3S.jpg

VEKg7Rf.jpeg

WC1uIKy.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

Without going into any details, this is your best one yet.  Thank you for all your efforts!

100% agree! 💯 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2