Sign in to follow this  
Hauptmann

Should I wait for MSFS 2024, or buy 2020 now?

8 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I am just wondering how they are going to handle things such as the B747 and B787 in MSFS2024.  Does it mean if you never bought the deluxe version of 2020 you won't get them in the 2024?

I have the 747 in the Standard version. Is there another, different, model in the Premium version ?

7 hours ago, hitter439 said:

I have an older PC (i7-8700K, 1080TI video card, 32GB ram, 27 inch non-4K monitor)  

Thank you very much.

Look at my sig I run at 30 with all settings on high with a much weaker machine . I avoid the large hubs though. But perfectly OK in mid-size airport.

On the storage side, my main folder named 'official' is more than 300 Gb with almost all the regional world updates (free improved sceneries). If you choose only one, you may be all right but you'll be very very tight. You need more muscle here.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Even with it's quirks, MSFS2020 is still the best sim experience you'll ever have on a PC.  There is nothing that comes close.   For the sake of £50, it's not worth waiting for 2024.  Not sure when that'll be.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 4

I'll wait for MSFS2024. I hope the whole ecosystem (2020 addons) stays the same. They say it's all going to be compatible, but I'd rather see it to believe it...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

11 minutes ago, Juliett Alfa Romeo said:

I'll wait for MSFS2024. I hope the whole ecosystem (2020 addons) stays the same. They say it's all going to be compatible, but I'd rather see it to believe it...

You could also wait for MSFS2028 or await the hypothetical release of the quantum personal computer.

Many of us enjoy MSFS2020 !

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I have the 747 in the Standard version. Is there another, different, model in the Premium version ?

Sorry no, I made a mistake.  I had to check the official list.  I thought because Working Title had done some work on both the B747 and B787, they were both part of the Premium pack.  Like you say, the 747 isn't.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

10 hours ago, hitter439 said:

Are my PC specs strong enough to reasonably run MSFS 2020 and maybe an add-on or two or will I be limited by frame rates (i.e. less than 30 or so), graphic settings and disk space (I would be able to free up about 230GB on my NVMe drive)?

I also have a 8700K, 1080ti but only 16GB RAM. The sim is running smoothly on my system. Need to say that I only fly light(er) GA aircraft en trainer jets into smaller airports. But I do feel there is more headroom as I have my settings on high and some even ultra and the CPU and GPU running relaxed with a capped 30FPS.

3 hours ago, ctdlg said:

You could also wait for MSFS2028 or await the hypothetical release of the quantum personal computer

Errr... mmmok.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

16 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Does it mean if you never bought the deluxe version of 2020 you won't get them in the 2024?

I am pretty sure, that MSFS2024 will also be available in these Editions. So everybody will have to to answer that question completely independent from the MSFS2020 Edition he bought.

16 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Does it mean if you never bought the deluxe version of 2020 you won't get them in the 2024?

I am pretty sure, that MSFS2024 will also be available in these Editions. So everybody will have to to answer that question completely independent from the MSFS2020 Edition he bought.

• Like 1

I would say pull the trigger now

2024 is coming out this year but for addons to become compatible it will be minimum 6 months. Its not " compatible on day one" . not at all.

7 minutes ago, planechaser said:

but for addons to become compatible it will be minimum 6 months. Its not " compatible on day one" . not at all.

Why not? Pretty sure 90% of addons will be compatible on the day one.

Simply consider 2024 as next (or next next even) SU for 2020.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, planechaser said:

I would say pull the trigger now

2024 is coming out this year but for addons to become compatible it will be minimum 6 months. Its not " compatible on day one" . not at all.

I also agree to pull the trigger now.. but it's not obviously clear yet what amount of time will be needed for add-ons just to be compatible with v2024 as they are. Going by MS/Asobo's stated imperative to make current add-ons work as-is or with minimal change, the time could be anywhere from day 1 to few weeks to months (but I highly doubt minimum of 6 months). In order to take advantage of new MSFS 2024 features (i.e. more detailed aircraft geometry definitions, etc) yes that could be in the order of months or more.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

the time could be anywhere from day 1 to few weeks to months (but I highly doubt minimum of 6 months). In order to take advantage of new MSFS 2024 features (i.e. more detailed aircraft geometry definitions, etc) yes that could be order of months or more.

It will take indefinite time for Fenix 😁 

Edited by Vitold69

1 hour ago, fsiscool said:

And just like with MSFS 2020, a lot of folks are going to buy the "Standard Edition" only to shed tears a year later about their choice. 

8 hours ago, ctdlg said:

You could also wait for MSFS2028 or await the hypothetical release of the quantum personal computer.

He's asking about a sim that's due this year, not four years hence. It's perfectly reasonable to question whether he should buy FS20, when it might only be a matter of months before its replacement is released.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org