Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

TDS GTNXi Pro with Navigraph Support released!

Tru Flightsim playas will probably roll with both and use the feature in BSquare planes (and others) toggle between PMS/TDS 

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

11 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Tru Flightsim playas will probably roll with both and use the feature in BSquare planes (and others) toggle between PMS/TDS 

I have been a user of the PMS unit since day one, but I no longer see a reason to use it anymore.  The TDS is based on the Garmin Trainer, so operates the same as the real world unit.  The only thing holding it back was outdated AIRAC data, but now that is fixed PMS has an uphill battle to stay relevant.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

30 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Unless something has changed, this is not possible.   You certainly used to be unable to have both the TDS and PMS active in MSFS at the same time.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

3 minutes ago, JYW said:

Unless something has changed, this is not possible.   You certainly used to be unable to have both the TDS and PMS active in MSFS at the same time.

I can use AddonsLinker to enable or disable the PMS unit.  When I enable it, I do not also disable the TDS unit... and the PMS unit works just fine.

Bert

8 hours ago, Skywolf said:

So what is now going to be the big difference between PMS and TDS as they both have Navigraph Support?

One important thing for me is how the two handle flightplans.  The Garmin (TDS) flightplan logic consists of a series of waypoints.  You can add a waypoint to the end at any time if you wish.  The Asobo/WT (PMS) flightplan logic consists of a departure and arrival waypoint with enroute waypoints in between.  If you add a waypoint to the end, it gets inserted before the arrival waypoint.  This is really confusing if you are not used to it..  I am sure that experienced users can work around this, but it totally throws me off..

• Like 2

Bert

11 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I can use AddonsLinker to enable or disable the PMS unit.  When I enable it, I do not also disable the TDS unit... and the PMS unit works just fine.

Ah, interesting, ok.

It must have just been in the very early days. When the TDS had just come along.

Bill

2 minutes ago, JYW said:

Ah, interesting, ok.

It must have just been in the very early days. When the TDS had just come along.

Now, some aircraft may "autodetect" what you have installed... and that may indeed not work correctly..

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Now, some aircraft may "autodetect" what you have installed... and that may indeed not work correctly..

You know, that's indeed what I was thinking of!   It was one or more aircraft where the manual stated that you couldn't have both the PMS and TDS installed at the same time, as the aircraft used an auto detect routine, that would be disturbed by both being 'seen'.

Bill

Another difference between the TDS and PMS GTN's that I recently discovered as I was doing some sim training on them, are Hold Patterns. The TDS has an easy way to insert Holds into your flight plan. The PMS does not, at least that I could find.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Just bought the upgrade. Says I need TDSGPSManager.exe. to install the upgrade. Otherwise all I download is a zip file. Unzipped and nothing executable. Does anyone know where this is? I bought this in 2022. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

27 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Another difference between the TDS and PMS GTN's that I recently discovered as I was doing some sim training on them, are Hold Patterns. The TDS has an easy way to insert Holds into your flight plan. The PMS does not, at least that I could find.

Holds are a PMS50 GTN payware version feature. And the website also says: "Only for aircraft compatible with the Working Title Technology (WTT) or when using the toolbar panel GTN750 with an aircraft having a WT GPS in the cockpit. See the list of compatible aircraft ".

Al

Just now, ark said:

Holds are a PMS50 GTN payware version feature. And the website also says: "Only for aircraft compatible with the Working Title Technology (WTT) or when using the toolbar panel GTN750 with an aircraft having a WT GPS in the cockpit. See the list of compatible aircraft ".

I do have the payware version, but was not aware of it only working with compatible aircraft. I cannot remember if I used one of the compatible aircraft or not when I tried it. Either way, I have both the TDS and the PMS and I generally like the TDS.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

13 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Just bought the upgrade. Says I need TDSGPSManager.exe. to install the upgrade. Otherwise all I download is a zip file. Unzipped and nothing executable. Does anyone know where this is? I bought this in 2022. 

You need to log into your account on the TDS website, go to Purchased Products, and on that list you will see the below -- click as indicated by the red arrow to start the download of TDSGPSManager.exe.

Al

spacer.png

Edited by ark

2 minutes ago, ark said:

You need to log into your account on the TDS website, go to Purchased Products, and on that list you will see the below -- click as indicated by the red arrow to start the download of TDSGPSManager.exe.

Al

spacer.png

Yes. It states while downloading TDSGPSManager but when I go to the downloads it has only a zip file. It's clearly not the exe manager.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

16 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Yes. It states while downloading TDSGPSManager but when I go to the downloads it has only a zip file. It's clearly not the exe manager.

Then it seems like it is being downloaded to somewhere else -- was not a zip file when I did it.

spacer.png

And it downloaded into  C:\ProgramData\TDS\GTNXi\FlightSimEXE  When you click on Save File it should show you where it will be downloaded to so you can change the destination location if so desired.

Al

Edited by ark