Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Fenix update is out.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I've never flown with A/THR off. I'd imagine it would be quite challenging to do this on final approach.

Absolutely not. The Airbus basically flies itself on final approach. You pitch up to about 5° in Flaps 3, go to about 45 to 50% N1 and then ride the glideslope by making only slight corrections with the thrust. I never leave the AT on on approach, except when I do challeging circling visual maneuvers like at Madeira or Split.

Addendum: This of course is only easy if you have a proper hardware throttle. With a keyboard or the integrated throttle lever of a joystick it will be difficult.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, thepilot said:

Thanks, hadn't quite considered it could be the livery since it was working before. But it looks like it needs updating.

That should solve it, I had the same issue. I have updated all the installed liveries.

• Upvote 1

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Absolutely not. The Airbus basically flies itself on final approach. You pitch up to about 5° in Flaps 3, go to about 45 to 50% N1 and then ride the glideslope by making only slight corrections with the thrust. I never leave the AT on on approach, except when I do challeging circling visual maneuvers like at Madeira or Split.

Good to know. I'll give it a try on my planned STOL-landing trip (which has been severely delayed as I've been distracted with other stuff). Expect a video showcasing the event - regardless of the outcome 😉

I find it very impressive that you never use AT on approach. Is that because you like the added challenge? I'll save your advice to my ipad as a reference during the flight. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, Cpt_Piett said:

Is that because you like the added challenge?

Basically. I mimick what I see the real world pilots I watch on youtube do. They do it because they see it as the only way to get some handflying in, while being on the line. You have to keep those skills somehow, if you don't use them, you'll unlearn them. And then you'll be in trouble the day the automation fails. I try to keep that in my sim routine as well.

29 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I try to keep that in my sim routine as well

That's not a bad advice at all. I'll aim for more hands-on flying in the future, for sure. As well as continuing to learn new skills. It's a time-consuming process, which is why I only fly a handful of aircraft at the moment. In addition to the Fenix, the only other airliner I use regularly is the A300. And I find that if I've flown the Fenix a lot (which I've done lately), I quickly get flustered when returning to the A300 (what? no flybywire!). 

Most of the advice in this thread, from you and others, have been priceless. Studying the documentation is very time-consuming 😉

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

...trying to bring the aircraft "safely" down to the "just a bit too short" runway at ENSD 😁 

Well, I did in fact manage the landing - sort of. As per my usual style I wrote a very lengthy report on this. As I found it inappropriate to make such a long post here, I decided to start a new thread, hopefully continuing the valuable discussions we've had in this thread.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/643237-fenix-a320-landing-technique-and-general-discussion-thread/

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 8:57 AM, JYW said:

Hmm, the way you're describing this is like there is no sound change when you open the window.  As Captain Piett said, there is.  But like other aircraft in MSFS it's a canned external ambience sound.  So you're right that you won't hear the specific sound sources (like the APU or hydraulic pumps).

Sorry to say but absolutely no change 😞...not a big deal but would be nice to have. As I said before...I am comparing how competition had in P3D and by many accounts sounds were perfect and close to real one. Also, I flew many times with Bus and as a PAX I could compare and trying to be objective from that point of vies (sound)....at least CFM engines....somehow I am a sucker and want to book engine seats... 🙂 

Interior "noise and sound" is ok but I am not sure about engines. It could be me or that I am used to other product. And as per exterior noise when you open window, if you have FSL and P3D please compare..... This by any means doesn't mean that Fenix is bad lol, just would like to hear that difference since Fenix guys spent lot's of time making real nice product. 

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Alex 

1 hour ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Sorry to say but absolutely no change 😞.

I could have sworn there was a canned wind/ambience sound change when opening the window.  Not that I don't believe you but I'm about to fly the Fenix so will check this out!

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

3 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Sorry to say but absolutely no change 😞

My apologies, you're absolutely right.  There's no change at all.

• Like 1

Bill

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JYW said:

I could have sworn there was a canned wind/ambience sound change when opening the window.  Not that I don't believe you but I'm about to fly the Fenix so will check this out!

There totally is. 100%. That's the actual reason why I always open the window during pre-flight! Not sure what's going on on his side.

EDIT: Or on your side...? Have they maybe took that out in the recent update? Can't check my side right now, but I swear there was ambient sound before.

EDIT2: From Discord: "Hi - this was removed as more and more airports are adding their own ambient sounds, along with GSX and other add-ons providing sounds, it was clashing with this." I totally disagree with that change. GSX and what else can not know if my window is open, and none of them sound like the Fenix did before. Bummer.

Edited by Fiorentoni

16 minutes ago, JYW said:

My apologies, you're absolutely right.  There's no change at all.

Yup...that would be nice to add if possible...

• Like 1

Alex 

1 minute ago, Fiorentoni said:

There totally is. 100%. That's the actual reason why I always open the window during pre-flight! Not sure what's going on on his side.

EDIT: Or on your side...? Have they maybe took that out in the recent update? Can't check my side right now, but I swear there was ambient sound before.

Yeah well, I would like to see on video....I have not heard any difference....And that was not a feature on V1 nor V2. Once you are "out" it's ok but when window open on the ground no difference. Not even when you starting engines....

Alex 

1 minute ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Yeah well, I would like to see on video....I have not heard any difference....And that was not a feature on V1 nor V2. Once you are "out" it's ok but when window open on the ground no difference. Not even when you starting engines....

Yeah I was wrong, changed my post. Fenix took it out on their latest update, see above.

6 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I totally disagree with that

Yeah, I must admit that feels slike a backward step.   I like the ambience outside sound,

Bill

As I fly mostly JBU or AAL I work in LBS.  I have had a recurring issue after Block 2 that continues after the Hotfix.  There is an open ticket, but I wonder if it's just me?

The EFB and AOC Load Sheet 2 have identical ZFW, but not CG.  This was not the case prior to Block 2.

Any others?

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper