Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

MSFS Dev Live Stream 3/13/2024

Ok so Seb confirmed something a lot of us supected. Live wather is drawing clouds way too transparently. He said they're going to take about to weeks to work on it. Funny enough this issue actually afftects cloud turbulence

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Video at 00:28:56

Summary: we don‘t own the weather data, so it‘s hard to expose what we don‘t own.

I try not to inflate small things. But this statement is a big, big disappointment for me. A functioning weather radar is postponed ad calendas graecas (means, Asobo and MS don‘t even think about implementing it).

Please correct me if I got this wrong.

• Like 2

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

20 minutes ago, hhbrbg said:

Please correct me if I got this wrong.

I understood what he said was in relation to an API that would allow third-parties to access the data to which Microsoft has access, under license, to generate weather. Microsoft does not own that raw data, they are licensed to use it for a specific purpose but can not make it available to other parties. That makes developing an API for weather rather impractical, so don't expect to have an Active Sky type program with access to the raw data. It is still quite possible to have a working weather radar, but as Ryan mentioned above whether that is possible is a choice of the aircraft developer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

3 minutes ago, Cognita said:

I understood what he said was in relation to an API that would allow third-parties to access the data to which Microsoft has access, under license, to generate weather. Microsoft does not own that raw data, they are licensed to use it for a specific purpose but can not make it available to other parties. That makes developing an API for weather rather impractical, so don't expect to have an Active Sky type program with access to the raw data. It is still quite possible to have a working weather radar, but as Ryan mentioned above whether that is possible is a choice of the aircraft developer.

Thanks, then I‘m not disappointed 😊👍

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

Martial thought the DLSS blurry glass fix with Nvidia was out but realized shortly after it was never released per someone on his team that he was texting with. He seems surprised by this and indicated he would be getting with his team to figure out why it was not released. Jorg even told him it needed to get done and rolled out.

The good thing about these livestream Q&A is that we can put them on the spot, including repeating questions like the DLSS question. This is a good thing that the MSFS team has a Q&A livestream around once every two months to interact with the community. I think all major game companies should do the same thing.

• Like 8

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

39 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

The good thing about these livestream Q&A is that we can put them on the spot, including repeating questions like the DLSS question. This is a good thing that the MSFS team has a Q&A livestream around once every two months to interact with the community. I think all major game companies should do the same thing.

Unfortunately Seb was made aware of the live weather clouds transparency issues about 2 or 3 Q&As ago, Martial talked about the blurry DLSS screens in 2022. Sure it's good to keep reminding them, but the point is we shouldn't have too, they should be taking notes and getting on with stuff not relying on us to remind them months/years later when we ask again and they sit there looking all puzzled.

After last night though martial can quite frankly do one, his attitude towards to biggest immersion breaking issue in VR is proof they have zero interest in fixing what they broke let alone understanding the severity of the issue at hand. I'm glad the VR community have finally woken up and got their pitch forks out over this, it's about time martial/Asobo understood how many of us have been feeling for years now.

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Unfortunately Seb was made aware of the live weather clouds transparency issues about 2 or 3 Q&As ago, Martial talked about the blurry DLSS screens in 2022. Sure it's good to keep reminding them, but the point is we shouldn't have too, they should be taking notes and getting on with stuff not relying on us to remind them months/years later when we ask again and they sit there looking all puzzled.

After last night though martial can quite frankly do one, his attitude towards to biggest immersion breaking issue in VR is proof they have zero interest in fixing what they broke let alone understanding the severity of the issue at hand. I'm glad the VR community have finally woken up and got their pitch forks out over this, it's about time martial/Asobo understood how many of us have been feeling for years now.

Yeah, it's unfortunate we have to remind them from time to time.

My point is, they aren't obligated to do a Q&A live stream once every two months. I would prefer not to compare MSFS to the competition because it seems to trigger the trolls from the other forums to enter the MSFS forum, but the competition does not have a Q&A live stream every two months or so.  Look at Lockheed Martin, they don't even interact with the non-commercial community at all.  If you had complaints in P3D, I wouldn't even know how propagate your concerns to the development team and get answers from them, especially if you are just a random P3D user and not a commercial customer of Lockheed Martin.

The fact that the MSFS team has a Q&A live stream once every two months is a huge win for the community, IMO.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 7

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The Zendesk support site did no respond positively to my suggestion that the 3 regulars on the Dev Livestream sit on carnival dunk chairs during questioning. And the viewers could respond positively or negatively during the session.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4dgbVW2n-L7AFtD0itmh

• Like 5

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I thought PMDG and Fenix are using WASM?  As far as I understand those types of code cant interface with the default "nexrad."

IniBuilds and Maddog are entirely in WASM, save except for the EFB’s… maybe.

there’s precisely an API for interfacing with the default weather radar for WASM based gauges in the SDK.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I don't understand how Inibuilds, Maddog and a whole host of turbo props and GA aircraft can manage to render a believable weather radar using what Asobo have provided yet PMDG and Fenix can't/won't. 

Active sky provided data related to water droplets visible to them? That's exactly what Asobo have provided.  This isn't NexRad, this is 3D weather data. I can add precipitation which produces a return and I can change the height of this precipitation which will produce a variable return. Neither PMDG nor Fenix seemed to have provided a coherent explanation as to why they can't use Asobo's 3D weather model.

Was Active Sky able to produce 'real' data on windshear or was that just fudged into the overall effect?

This is what I read on the Fenix Discord in January when WXR was brought up:

cagRZrq.png

• Like 1

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I thought PMDG and Fenix are using WASM?  As far as I understand those types of code cant interface with the default "nexrad."

That was changed several updates ago 

Edited by Tuskin38

2 minutes ago, Cyrex1984 said:

No words about Ai/Atc at all in the devstream. Disapointing.

BeyondATC to the rescue... 

• Like 4

I'm going to wait and see what 2024 brings in regards to ATC

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

I'm going to wait and see what 2024 brings in regards to ATC

Don't hold your breath... 🙂

• Upvote 2

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.