Sign in to follow this  
JYW

Blown away by SI demo

5 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

P2ATC is strictly scripted. You'll have to stick to the phraseology. if you do, it works perfectly as an ATC.

Thanks, I understand the scripting, what I was trying to point out since this is discussion about how accurate taxi instructions are with SI.   P2ATC wanted me to taxi my C172 to a water runway.  The odd thing is, I just imputed a direct flight from Felts to Harvey and pulled up the runways map in P2ATC and runway 03W is not even displayed, only the hard surfaced runways.

Dumb question but the sayintentions.ai website doesn't provide an answer in its FAQ. Is it voice and button control or voice control only? I don't have a microphone for my simming lol.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Dumb question but the sayintentions.ai website doesn't provide an answer in its FAQ. Is it voice and button control or voice control only? I don't have a microphone for my simming lol.

There is a box in the GUI for typing text.  I haven't used it and have just this second closed MSFS... so not sure if it's working or not yet. What I would say is that SI is almost entirely built around voice communication.  If you weren't using that, you'd probably be better off with something like FS Hud, that is made for using without voice.

4444444.png

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 10:50 AM, turbomax said:

can easily be avoided via email check. and what's the problem with downloading a demo version a 2nd time? time limited trial period has nothing to do with credit card. They should learn from Steam, Microsoft Game pass and others. never had to give them my credit card for a free demo version. ridiculous.

It costs them money to provide that demo time. So if people were able to make several demo accounts they’d lose a lot of money. Most people don’t have more than one credit card, so that limits how many demo accounts you can make.

If it was just an e-mail check, well it’s pretty easy to make new e-mails, there’s even sites for making throwaway e-mails.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JYW said:

There is a box in the GUI for typing text.  I haven't used it and have just this second closed MSFS... so not sure if it's working or not yet. What I would say is that SI is almost entirely built around voice communication.  If you weren't using that, you'd probably be better off with something like FS Hud, that is made for using without voice.

4444444.png

The text field works fine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, I tried an IFR flight with SI... unfortunately nothing worked. Got no radar vectors after departure, no handoffs from departure to center, and when I finally changed to center on my own before my TOD it thought I had just taken off. I quit the app and deleted it after that. Not ready yet, but to be fair I was kind of expecting that and they are very clear about it. Let's see how it develops.
What annoyed me the most - it often did not understand me correctly. My callsign was Kenya Four-Niner-One (entered correctly int he app), and every time I called in it understood "Can you have another one?" and often would just repeat its last transmission. I got four IFR clearances because of that... I really don't think this should happen with AI voice recognition, that's the main reason I wanted to try it, to not have to speak like a robot!

EDIT: By the way that was on my 24h trial, so I did not pay anything.

Edited by Fiorentoni

Opposite experience. Just departed Buffalo on an IFR, using button mode (no mic on my end). While typing entire readbacks is pretty rough on single pilot IFR, it handled everything pretty realistically. My last real world IFR flight was on the 8th, so it's been a minute, but it did everything as expected from CRAFT to handoff to Center. The only thing that could be improved is its interaction (or lack thereof) with other traffic. I use AIG and didn't hear it say a word to anyone else, which shouldn't be the case at KBUF.

We'll see how my landing goes: Flying into the storms in Louisiana for some fun. Expecting to go missed. If it handles that, I'm sold.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

3 hours ago, Mike62 said:

Thanks, I understand the scripting, what I was trying to point out since this is discussion about how accurate taxi instructions are with SI.   P2ATC wanted me to taxi my C172 to a water runway.  The odd thing is, I just imputed a direct flight from Felts to Harvey and pulled up the runways map in P2ATC and runway 03W is not even displayed, only the hard surfaced runways.

Send the log to Dave. He can get it sorted

Eddie
KABQ

Posted (edited)

If anyone wants to get an idea about how it performs, with a non-US IFR flight, here's a sample of my log from the flight I just finished (ENGM Leeds - EGPE Inverness).   You'll notice a few repeats.  Eg. At the top of descent, it told me 3 times to descend to FL090.   Aside from that, it was a very immersive flight in the Fenix, with SayIntentions 😎   I'm not instrument rated, so don't expect my IFR ATC work to be realistic 😜   - what is shown as my voice here (in green) is not exactly what I said.  It cuts some parts of your transmission out on the log (such as your call sign if said at the start) and sort of summarises what you said, for it's own interpretation.

In terms of voice recognition, it's never misheard a single transmission I've made, since I started using it.  I'm using the "English - Canada" recognition setting, as I have an eastern Canadian accent (with a hint of north east English).

Note how it gave me Rwy 32 during clearance, but changed to Runway 14 shortly after - this happens a lot.   It also changed the squawk on the second read!

1111111.png

222222222.png

Edited by JYW
  • Like 2

Bill

At the moment at least it’s still using FAA phraseology in the UK, I hope in the future it learns CAA phrases.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, haskell said:

Send the log to Dave. He can get it sorted

Thanks, I think I figured out what I did wrong.  For whatever reason atis was reporting RWY 3,  I think I used the taxi to active phrase instead of taxi to runway 04R/L, so ground sent me to 03 instead of where I wanted to go.  I am still learning this program, and should have tried again with the correct phrase to see if ground would have sent me to the proper runway.

Mike

1 hour ago, jon b said:

At the moment at least it’s still using FAA phraseology in the UK, I hope in the future it learns CAA phrases.

"Oi mate, bit rude putting me in dis holding pattern, innit?"

• Like 3

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Posted (edited)

Man, when you catch this thing in it's sweet spot it's just insanely immersive.

Just flew VFR in the US, from New Bedford, Mass to Martha's Vineyard.   Perfect flight following.  But here's the bit that blew me away, on approach to KMVY I asked to change my intentions to touch and goes.   Got a great response along with revised pattern entry instructions and to call mid downwind.    I then said "Actually, Skyhawk 2DR will be performing one touch and go and then we'll be leaving the pattern and heading towards Block Island".   

Response:-

"Roger sir, that's no problem. Report mid downwide then after your touch and go, turn right and depart the pattern on right base for Block Island. Report when leaving the pattern" [perfect instruction that left me heading in the right direction for Block Island].

As I departed the pattern, I thanked KMVY Tower for the help, and got "No problem at all. Safe trip to Block Island".

At the moment I'm going from disappointment and frustration in some flights, to being blown away all over again in others.  There's nothing in between!   This thing really shines with US GA VFR though.   So convincing, even without detailed taxi instructions yet.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 3

Bill

It has warts but it's being worked on and improved on a daily basis.  It's already better than default ATC for sure and the ability to just talk to it and get what you want without it being scripted is pretty cool.  What impressed me most was military flights.  I was able to fly VFR flight following in the Osprey and told them I was going to the "Smokey MOA" for an hour delay and they told me to fly VFR at or below 8500 and to report prior to entering the Smoky MOA.  Once operating in the MOA they left me alone but gave me traffic advisories for a GA aircraft that was coming through the area.  Then I called them up when leaving the Smokey MOA and RTB back to where I had departed from and it gave me correct instructions.  I even requested an overhead approach at the field and it gave correct instructions to report initial and break overhead.  I even asked for break direction and it told me a right mid-field break.  To me it's these abilities to adapt that they have not even programmed in there yet that are most impressive.  The rest will come.  I was excited for Beyond ATC and still am....it might be better in some cases.  But right now Say Intentions is already here and working better than default ATC which is what I was using.  It's also always online unlike VATSIM so I can get that type of experience wherever I want.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mike62 said:

Run the make runways utility to read the scenery, then import it into P2A. It'll correct most, if not all, of the taxiway issues. For the rest, there's a taxiway editor in the game.