Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

DLSS or TAA

I have noticed that with DLSS on, my Fenix displays are pretty blurry.  I get good performance though and i don't get any outside shimmering in the distance or on airport objects.  With TAA on, I get sharp Fenix cockpit displays, good performance, but awful shimmering on airport objects and things in the distance.  Has Asobo said anything that will be done in the future to address any of this?  I have always used TAA, but the last 2 flights switched to DLSS and thought it looked better outside the plane.  I am on DX11 if that makes any difference.

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I use DLSS with DLAA, it helps slightly with the blurring. I agree, I see shimmering with TAA.

Lee

• Like 2

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Just now, Midnight Music said:

I use DLSS with DLAA, it helps slightly with the blurring. I agree, I see shimmering with TAA.

Lee

Dumb question, how do you use DLSS with DLAA?  I only see one or the other in the settings

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Dumb question, how do you use DLSS with DLAA?  I only see one or the other in the settings

Never use the AA mode DLAA, that's an outdated post-processing AA (like FXAA). Use the AA mode DLSS with DLSS mode DLAA, which is something completely different (DLSS deep learning anti aliasing without the DLSS upscaling, so a quite big performance impact compared to TAA).

Edited by touchdown84
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

15 minutes ago, touchdown84 said:

Never use the AA mode DLAA, that's an outdated post-processing AA (like FXAA). Use the AA mode DLSS with DLSS mode DLAA, which is something completely different (DLSS deep learning anti aliasing without the DLSS upscaling, so a quite big performance impact compared to TAA).

I don't think i have an option for DLSS with DLSS mode DLAA.  Is that in the sim or in Nvidia settings?  

Posted (edited)

There is nothing in TAA that should result in shimmering -- unless you're over-sharpening the image. I use TAA at 4K with the in-sim sharpening option set to 70. The cockpit and ground scenery look perfect, with no blurring and no shimmering at all. Above 70, shimmering begins, and the higher you set the sharpening option above 70, the more shimmering you'll see.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

9 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I don't think i have an option for DLSS with DLSS mode DLAA.  Is that in the sim or in Nvidia settings?  

https://imgur.com/a/GP7GYWr

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

6 hours ago, touchdown84 said:

On my system the negative performance impact when using DLAA is enormous. And therefore DLAA is unusable. It was also unusable when I had a 3070 and Ryzen 5600 instead of now having 4070 and Ryzen 58003DX. DLAA has never been usable for me. Stutters, less than 1/2 the fps. Terrible. But DLSS Quality is smooth as glass and fps 75 to 105.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

Dx11 and TAA here... Even in dx12 with fsr3 fg I never liked DLSS.

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

TAA for quality, DLSS if your GPU is the bottleneck.

DLSS / DLAA is deep learning AA at native resolution and does not bring any performance benefit.

Displays and water from low altitude will look bad in both cases and there is no remedy.

It's just a subpar implementation in this game, as well as DX12. 

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

From the last Asobo Q&A it seems they forgot to put the fix they found for blurry cockpit screen with DLSS… hope that’s true and it makes to SU15

Pierre

DLSS is a mess. TAA all the way, the higher quality is very noticeable.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I don't know...

I don't see any difference between DLSS / Quality, DLSS / DLAA and DLAA alone. None of them look 'blurry'. Maybe I don't know what to look for. This is in 4K. I have an RTX 4070 Ti Super. I'm glad, that they fixed the blurry fonts/displays with DLSS, though. Looks SO good.

• Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

5 minutes ago, anden145 said:

I don't know...

I don't see any difference between DLSS / Quality, DLSS / DLAA and DLAA alone. None of them look 'blurry'. Maybe I don't know what to look for. This is in 4K. I have an RTX 4070 Ti Super. I'm glad, that they fixed the blurry fonts/displays with DLSS, though. Looks SO good.

Well that's strange.  They haven't fixed it yet.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 minutes ago, anden145 said:

I don't know...

Same here. I think 4K is the key. 

• Like 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog