Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

The 4 Things that will Disappoint in MSFS 2024

Yes, truly AMAZING. 

Anyone serious about immersion and 'as-real-as-it-gets' owe it to themselves to watch the video (skip the intro and jump to the 3:20 minute mark in the @Krakin video: DRIVECLUB™ Heavy Rain Cockpit No HUD (youtube.com). Since the video is 9 years old it just makes one wonder why those windshield wipers and hand animation is not implemented in MSFS. At the very least, on an experimental basis.

The animation on the video would greatly improve immersion. Imagine if Asobo also implements pilot-controlled-lighting with it. Fixing the suicidal ground crew and dark lines on the water too, and MSFS will be in heavenly skies with me.

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Many older racing titles have features far better than todays bunch, I mean crikey iRacing only just added rain....!

Anyway, my 4 things that will probably disappoint in MSFS2024, just for fun like;

1. Lacklustre VR support, lets face it they may use VR themselves but it's clearly an extremely low priority, can't see that changing any time soon.
  2. Reliance on the Cloud for settings/controllers, all of which should be saved locally in the C:\Documents folder for ease of editing, backup etc. I fear this reliance on the cloud to save everything nonsense won't change and the dreaded "everything's rest to default" threads will carry on.
  3. Server issues, that word reliance again and this time more so as more stuff gets streamed. The current sim struggles at weekends, big loads, how they'll cope with that is anyones guess and I fear those on weaker internet connections could be troubled.
  4. Beta periods that don't evolve, they're OK now but they're far from great. There's zero direction on specific areas to test, there's zero communication with the actual developers which leads to bug threads going around in circles with testers having no clue what's going on. It's blatantly obvious - to anyone who has partaken in other games betas - that MS/Asobo really are poor in this regard and a vast improvement in this area will further improve Sim/World Updates going forward.
  5. ....ok one more; misaligned pebbles...!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Posted (edited)

as much as I agree with you bofhlusr, there are hundreds of issues Microsobo has on their plate trying to re-create the perfect digital twin of the aviation world. it all boils down to priorities, personal preferences and available resources. 

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

12 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Lacklustre VR support, lets face it they may use VR themselves but it's clearly an extremely low priority, can't see that changing any time soon.

Good list. I could add VR as a 5th item on my list actually. Except that I don't use VR all the time, I'm not sure it's an easy fix for Asobo, or in use by the majority of MSFS users. 

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

5 minutes ago, turbomax said:

as much as I agree with you, there are hundreds of issues Microsobo has on their plate trying to re-create the perfect digital twin of the aviation world. it all boils down to priorities, personal preferences and available resources. 

Yes, it's easy to get lost in hundreds of priorities, preferences, and available resources. But the guiding light should be: "as-real-as-it-gets".

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

13 hours ago, turbomax said:

those will all be more than offset by not only 4, but 4 million, and in the professional version by 4 billion of realistically placed new pebbles in shallow, transparent waters and river banks. Joerg Neumann was so  overwhelmed and blown away when he recently saw this latest tech in the new version of Forza Horizon 5 racing, that he decided to apply this also to MSFS 2024. imagine not hundreds, not thousands but billions of pebbles. now we know why they hired 500 new staff. makes me wonder if those pebbles couldn't have been placed by AI instead. 

"Also, ground detail experience in FS2024 is aimed to rival that of Forza Horizon 5 according to Jorg:

"I flew over a woodland area in FS2024 the other day and choose to land at a site where it was possible to - in detail - identify thousands of pebbles under the water of a stream"

https://www.gamereactor.se/vi-pratar-om-norden-uppdateringen-med-flight-simulator-bossen-jorg-neumann-1258623/

And herein lies a problem. Pebbles? The concern here is that FS2024 becomes more of a game title than a flight simulator. Imagine a Grand theft auto scenario. More developer time spent on this than important stuff like sim physics and aircraft fidelity. Whilst pebbles in a stream might be nice, is it really needed in a flight sim? It’s right up there with highly detailed airport and aircraft cabin interiors. It all takes developer time ($$$) and hits performance. Perhaps those gimmicky things could best be selectable options or 3rd party add ons. 

• Like 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

2 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

But the guiding light should be: "as-real-as-it-gets".

ok, instead of hundreds of priorities, make it a thousand then.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

pebbles in a stream might be nice, is it really needed in a flight sim?

I thought the sarcasm in my post re. 4 billion pebbles in FS2024 was obvious. obviously not. 😀

Joerg Neumann is not a pilot, and sometimes it shows. too much of a pilot can also be a problem for a "game" developer, as obvious in Austin Meyer.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

very nice.

7 minutes ago, turbomax said:

ok, instead of hundreds of priorities, make it a thousand then.

🙂

• Like 1

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

I don't use VR all the time, I'm not sure it's an easy fix for Asobo, or in use by the majority of MSFS users. 

unfortunately indeed it is not a priority for them. and here we are back at priorities:

https://navigraph.com/blog/survey2022

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

9 minutes ago, turbomax said:

I thought the sarcasm in my post re. 4 billion pebbles in FS2024 was obvious. obviously not. 😀

Joerg Neumann is not a pilot, and sometimes it shows. too much of a pilot can also be a problem for a "game" developer, as obvious in Austin Meyer.

No the sarcasm was not lost. I was using your pebble scenario as an example of pursuing that level of detail which, imho, isn’t required in a flight simulator.

• Like 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

3 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

No the sarcasm was not lost. I was using your pebble scenario as an example of pursuing that level of detail which, imho, isn’t required in a flight simulator.

I'm glad you're not in charge 

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Hoping and praying I’m wrong, but things that will disappoint me if left unchanged in 2024 are:

1) clouds 2) clouds 3) clouds 4) clouds

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I certainly agree about the seriousness of the misaligned pebbles.  I'm also worried about the present MSFS2020 lack of a bird avoidance module and its unrealistic Boeing alertness module. So in summary, pebbles and bam bam.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

My disappointments, and I'm a late adopter, are;

1) Lack of cirrus clouds. P3D did them better.

2) Road traffic. In P3D, I could see the headlights on busy highways for miles and at significant altitudes. 

3) Leisure boat traffic. Again in P3D, I would take off over Biscayne Bay in Miami and see dozens of little boats and wakes. Made the world a little more "alive" looking. There simply are none in MSFS.

4)ATC. Super disappointing. I'm not sure why more time wasn't spent on this as it is a HUGE part of aviation. I can't even use AZURE as voices appear and disappear for no apparent reason.

5) Stability. I can't spend all day doing flight after flight on MSFS, like I did with P3D, without restarting the sim after about 2 flights. If I do more than that I start having things break, like ATC, or just plain performance degradation. 

Now this is going to be controversial, so I want to be clear: MSFS is light years ahead of P3D and I'm definitely enjoying it. But I still head back to P3D every once in a while, because except for ATC, it does all of the above better (for me) and, I have a great hangar full of long haulers.