Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Total Solar Eclipse - 8 April in the USA.

The sun is 400 times larger than the moon so how is it possible for such a small object to cover the sun? By a quirk of nature the moon is 400 times closer to us. So they both appear around the same size to us on Earth.

But the moon’s orbit around Earth is not circular. It’s elliptical. Yesterday it was just 359,397km away. The closest it could be is 356,508km so yesterday was a close approach. Hence totality lasting over 4 minutes over a large area.

But when the moon is at apogee it’s at its furthest point from us at 405,500km and too small to completely cover the sun’s disc. That’s when annular eclipses occur.

So if the moon had a circular orbit and was positioned just 37,000km further away we’d never see total solar eclipses. Lucky eh? 😁

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In our flight simulators the phenomenon is seldom correctly modelled...

FLIGHGEAR used to have the most comprehensive modelling, given it's detailled astronomical formulas...

The April 8 eclipse was poorly represented in XP12, MFS not that bad... I couldn't test it in either FG or ELITE though - not installed 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Though the pictures of Monday's eclipse that I've seen show what it looked like, the stunning brilliance of the absolute black of the moon's disc surrounded by the bright absolute white of the angle hair fine corona and the diamond rings' flash is something that a camera can't capture.  If you've ever seen it you know what I'm talking about, for me it was so moving that I was laughing and crying at the same time.  I watched it all unfold laying flat on my back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

"The moon loves us better"!

(Solar Eclipses are rare in the Southern latitudes).

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

56 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Solar Eclipses are rare in the Southern latitudes).

I can’t think of any reason why they would be. Look at the available land mass in the southern hemisphere. Mostly water so fewer places where the path will cross populated areas.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yeah, you're right. I should  have said total eclipses are rare in the Southern latitudes, instead of just eclipses.

Eclipses are far more likely in the Summer when the sun is up longer. And the sun's orbit isn't a perfect circle. Summer in Northern Hemisphere happens when sun is farthest from the Earth and therefore it looks smaller. Small enough for a total eclipse.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The total eclipse is so different from anything we're used to that the experience is magical.  And it's beautiful.

It's very well worth doing a bit of travelling to see one, but I don't know if I'd get on an airplane.  Four hours in a car?  Totally fine. (heh!  See what I did there?  Totally accidentally of course.)

Three days later and I'm still feeling a sense of wonder.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

11 hours ago, LHookins said:

The total eclipse is so different from anything we're used to that the experience is magical.  And it's beautiful.

Those who have never seen one might doubt how spectacular they are. I cannot imagine any feel the same after having witnessed one.

I found the coverage frustrating on BBC / CNN on Monday. Someone with suitable knowledge should have advised them to position a camera above the crowd on as wide angle as possible pointing SW so the shadow could be seen approaching. And then another camera taking in the ground but also including the sun so the whole scene was visible.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Posted (edited)

It was cloudy during the 11th August 1999 total solar eclipse from my viewpoint on the Devon-Cornwall border, but I can honestly say that it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Do not hesitate to attempt to see one if you have the opportunity to do so. I am already excited about the possibility of seeing totality in 2026! :cool:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

57 years till the next solar eclipse in Guernsey. 😞

There is a partial solar eclipse in 2025 though. 

Next total lunar eclipse in 2025, 7th September.

36 minutes ago, martin-w said:

57 years till the next solar eclipse in Guernsey. 😞

You lucky! After the 2019 eclipse in Córdoba, we have to wait at least until 2187. The day after that I'd be turning 202 😂

Or I can book a trip to somewhere in this list:

Solar and Lunar Eclipses Worldwide – Next 10 Years (timeanddate.com)

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

46 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

You lucky! After the 2019 eclipse in Córdoba, we have to wait at least until 2187. The day after that I'd be turning 202 😂

Oh, well I'll only be 123. A spring chicken. 

That is the age I would be if I somehow managed to make it to the next total solar eclipse visible from mainland UK (23rd September 2090). The next total solar eclipse visible from my home town of Ulverston in England is 14th June 2151 (2m34s of totality).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 4:27 PM, LHookins said:

It's very well worth doing a bit of travelling to see one, but I don't know if I'd get on an airplane.  Four hours in a car?  Totally fine. (heh!  See what I did there?  Totally accidentally of course.)

Three days later and I'm still feeling a sense of wonder.

Hook

Glad you had the luxury of staying put.  Back in 2017 when we missed going to see totality in Oregon we decided that in 2024 we'd be traveling out to Texas.  We had the foresight to book everything months in advance thus dodging all the price gouging.  Absolutely no regrets, joy only (plus a chance for a little sightseeing in Texas).

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

On 4/12/2024 at 10:17 AM, Luis Hernandez said:

The day after that I'd be turning 202 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:04 AM, martin-w said:

Oh, well I'll only be 123. A spring chicken

Just keep taking the sirtuin activators and you'll be OK.

Dugald Walker