Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Orbx- Airport Quality Fly2High

Orbx used to be my go to for regional airports in P3d- all of good quality and performance.  Lately, I have picked up a couple of MSFS Orbx airports (Fly2High) and have been mostly unimpressed.  Is this a trend or an oddity?

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

14 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Is this a trend or an oddity?

Orbx is now a reseller/storefront much in the same way as Aerosoft, iniBuilds and JustFlight are. As such, Fly2High is a separate developer whose work is being sold through the Orbx store, though I wouldn't rate their stuff particularly highly.

Like all stores, it's worth performing some research on the developer to see if they meet your quality standards.

That said, Orbx's own product quality has been questionable for a while. I would only buy their add-ons where a lead developer is named in their product description e.g. Marcus Nyberg or Finn Hansen.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

The in-house Orbx regional fields are still pretty nice (picked up Dundee in Scotland yesterday and it's gorgeous), but you're right, some of the airports that Orbx just publish that are made by 3rd parties are a lot weaker.  I have 3 by Fly2High and they're all pretty bland and unexceptional.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Which one’s do you have? I think they are pretty decent. The newer ones are noticeably better though, which is offcourse understandable and is akso the case for most developers. The quiet recent Vertical sim KBOI is very nice but his older KORF is super bland.

4 hours ago, JYW said:

The in-house Orbx regional fields are still pretty nice (picked up Dundee in Scotland yesterday and it's gorgeous), but you're right, some of the airports that Orbx just publish that are made by 3rd parties are a lot weaker.  I have 3 by Fly2High and they're all pretty bland and unexceptional.

I have Fly2High Kagoshima (RJFK).  The scenery itself looks great but the AFCAD is a complete disaster and the ILS no longer works.  They've done nothing to fix these issues despite numerous requests from purchasers. 

Fly2High isn't a top tier dev but they do seem to hit airports that probably won't get any other love (medium size airports in the US mostly).  I have quite a few and some have only been 'improved' by MSFSSceneryBuilders and we all know their quality.  I'll admit I have got most of them on sale, so the value has been there for me.

As has already been stated, Orbx is merely providing a storefront for Fly2High and many others.

Their stuff is a fps killer for me and I still see plenty of modeling artifacts with some of their scenery like KPVD.  And there are also no GA parking spots.  There was also a missing ILS but it may have been fixed 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, Dutch-vdM said:

Which one’s do you have? I think they are pretty decent. The newer ones are noticeably better though, which is offcourse understandable and is akso the case for most developers. The quiet recent Vertical sim KBOI is very nice but his older KORF is super bland.

I just picked JAX and RSW as I’m based in FL. So far JAX has been disappointing. I did not expect FlightBeam or FlyTampa, but I was hoping for better than this. VerticalSim is superb in comparison. Is there a way to ask Fly2High to take a moment and refresh?

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

People didn't like John Venema because he was pretty blunt and didn't sugar coat much of anything but you can't deny when he was CEO he ran a tight ship at Orbx. He set high standards of expectations and demanded it.  It's only Orbx by name at this point, anything it was once known for resigned along with John. 

• Like 5

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

43 minutes ago, styckx said:

People didn't like John Venema because he was pretty blunt and didn't sugar coat much of anything but you can't deny when he was CEO he ran a tight ship at Orbx. He set high standards of expectations and demanded it.  It's only Orbx by name at this point, anything it was once known for resigned along with John. 

I wonder what happened to him. I actually really liked his no BS approached to things. Miss the guy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, styckx said:

t's only Orbx by name at this point, anything it was once known for resigned along with John

Unfortunately, and I mean that sincerely, I have to basically agree with this statement. Even the Orbx branded airports I have purchased in the past couple of years -- only 3 or 4 -- have all been very disappointing for me. They are basically a "no buy" outfit for me now. But I will always remember with fondness their heyday with all those small PNW and California airports and flying the A2A Comanche among them. 

Not many of the old developers really made it to MSFS in good shape, maybe only Flightbeam, but which takes years to produce a scenery. FlyTampa is a bit hit and miss. Their Toronto rendition is quite dated and not particularly impressive by today's standards. LatinVFR airports are gradually being replaced by much better options. FSDreamTeam seems to have sunk into GSX, their Charlotte airport is one of the few I have just uninstalled, and I struggle with Louisville but use it because I enjoy UPS ops and there is nothing else. I find them bland with little character. Compare that with Pyreegue and iniBuilds, which I agree needs to work on optimization but I run their airports reasonably well.  FSLabs, Majestic, and Quality Wings are all still missing in action. PMDG made it over reasonably well and while their aircraft are solid and perform quite well I find they lack any innovative development, just the same product with no additional features to aid with immersion and engagement. I am still learning the A300 and it is doubtful I will rush to purchase the 777 when it comes out. Will I get it at some point, almost certainly. But I have no enthusiasm for it; I was looking forward to the PW A300 that just released more than I am to the 777. A2A made it soundly. Their Comanche is a step up from the p3D version and works beautifully in the sim. But then look at Black Square that seemed to come out of nowhere with such innovating and well developed and packaged aircraft. 

I think 2020 may very well be regarded a transition simulator, a transition to a new wave of companies to support our hobby. 

Edited by Cognita
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Dan Scott

1 hour ago, Cognita said:

PMDG made it over reasonably well and while their aircraft are solid and perform quite well I find they lack any innovative development

I have to agree with that.

David Porrett

Fly2High are a conundrum, I have questioned their tactic of being exclusive at different resellers for their releases.

Perhaps they have an attractive offer to be that "exclusive" in that first week or so of release. But splittng up their (growing) customer base to get the new product seems counterintuitive. Unfortunately they do come across as the cash for grab cohort to me. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe they are flying 2 high, and need to drop down a bit from their lofty perch? :smile:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 11:56 AM, cavaricooper said:

Orbx used to be my go to for regional airports in P3d- all of good quality and performance.  Lately, I have picked up a couple of MSFS Orbx airports (Fly2High) and have been mostly unimpressed.  Is this a trend or an oddity?

It's a trend. I find Orbx a 'sell out' to it's once loyal customer base. Originally created by John Venema, their sceneries were beautifully crafted by a small, hand picked group of enthusiastic individuals. Now, like many other things in today's society, it always seem to be about profit above quality. As has been pointed out, Orbx is now simply a reseller of addons, which is fine, but from where I sit, if a business is going to go down that route then they should lay down a set of quality control parameters that developers should have to adhere to when developing their addons. I recently bought a scenery which was a version 2 of an Italian airport and it was advertised as having 4K textures for the terminal... well, there was no way in a million years that the textures were anything close to what I know of as 4K! I asked for a full refund literally within minutes of loading the scenery. I have backed off from buying sceneries from Orbx for that reason. I want to be able to buy a scenery which has a reputable brand associated with it, knowing that when my money leaves my bank account, I am not going to see it as a waste of money. :sleep:

Edited by Rocky_53
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776