Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

How to remove MSFS from a computer I sold.

Posted (edited)

I purchased a new computer and sold my old one. I removed MSFS 2020 before I sold the machine. Now when I install MSFS on my new computer it also installs it on my old machine. How do I tell the owner of the old machine to remove it? I imagine it has to do with the registry on the old machine?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Vineguy

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Has the owner of the new PC confirmed to you that MSFS is actually installing on his machine, remotely, without him doing anything?

If not, I doubt it's actually installing on his/her machine, even if the MS Store is telling you it is.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Posted (edited)

I believe the install is linked to your MS / Xbox Live login. In other words, the new owner is using your credentials because you didn't wipe the computer before you sold it. You should change your Xbox Live password and when you do, choose "sign out of all accounts." That will prevent the new owner's system from logging in as you.

Edited by eslader
  • Like 3

Maybe he's a Steam user (?)

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

52 minutes ago, eslader said:

I believe the install is linked to your MS / Xbox Live login. In other words, the new owner is using your credentials because you didn't wipe the computer before you sold it. You should change your Xbox Live password and when you do, choose "sign out of all accounts." That will prevent the new owner's system from logging in as you.

I was a beta tester back in 2020. I purchased MSFS from Microsoft Store. Much later, I found that I had to install Xbox to remove or install MSFS. Why did that change from me uninstalling or installing from Microsoft Store to now using Xbox? Can I remove Xbox from my system and still be able to install MSFS from MS store?

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

12 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

Why did that change from me uninstalling or installing from Microsoft Store to now using Xbox?

It didn't...if you bought the MS Store version, you still use your XBOX account.

I think what he is trying to explain, is that the new owner is signing into your XBOX account...basically he has your identity now...

If you use hotmail or outlook as your email, this means he can also log into your hotmail or outlook accounts and see your email.

By changing your password, he will no longer be able to log into your xbox (or hotmail/outlook) account.

You really should change your password...

• Like 1

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Thanks for the reply. I think we both use GMAIL.

But if what you said in your first post is correct, he's still logging in to your Xbox account which is why MSFS keeps installing to his computer.

I'm not saying he's doing that maliciously. If I had to guess, he doesn't even know it's happening. However, that doesn't mean something he does in the future couldn't impact you. Maybe he buys a different game thinking he's on his account, and then your account gets charged for it, etc.

Change your password. Also, change your Windows password/pin, because if Xbox Live is still on his computer, you probably didn't sanitize the Windows install either.

In general when you sell a computer that includes a hard drive, it's a good idea to completely reinstall the operating system. That way all of your data gets wiped so the buyer can't find it and, whether unintentionally or nefariously, do things that cost you money.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

You should have formatted the SSD/HD, not only remove MSFS... there is a bunch of personal information in a PC, no matter how you clean it.

Even formatting, something can be recovered but it's much more difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Posted (edited)

It's a bit too late for that for the OP. But follow the great advice/directions that others have given.

1. Log in to your XBOX/Live account and change the password.
  2. Afterwards, log out of all devices.
  3. Also change the passwords for any other accounts, that you may (inadvertently) have left behind.

Do this as quickly as possible to limit the exposure.

Look here for instructions on how to log out of all Microsoft/Live accounts

Good luck! 🙂

Edited by anden145

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

You should format all drives and preform a clean installation of windows when selling a PC

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Posted (edited)

@VineguyDid you just remove MSFS from that machine or did you erase the entire disk, or at least reinstall Windows?

If you did not reinstall Windows I hope that you used the PC just for MSFS. In that case you should immediately change the passwords for your Xbox / Microsoft accounts.
There is also a chance that your addons are still somewhere on the PC.

If you used the PC also for banking, e-mail, webbrowsing, taxes etc. than you might have an issue. I would try and contact the buyer and ask whether he allows you to erase the drive and remove your personal information. If that is not possible you must at the very least change every password you can think of (banking, insurance, business, government, health, web sites etc.) and be alert for signs of identity fraud in the near future. Also keep an eye on your paypal/credit card accounts

If you cannot get the data erased than what happens depends very much on the buyer. If he is trustworthy, he would inform you about the data or at least do a clean install. If he is a computer illiterate, he probably would wonder about all the data he suddenly ahs access to and not know how to get rid of it. If he is curious he could browse through your personal e-mail and look at your family photo's before wiping everything. He could also try and find a way to benefit from the information he now has if he is untrustworthy.

Edited by orchestra_nl

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5