Sign in to follow this  
History

FBW320, "better than Airsimmer"

Posted (edited)

I wonder if you remember Airsimmer in FS9? Long story short, I was one of them who were dying for a decent Airbus A320. We tried the skyrocketing Wilco Series, and did many merges. Then there was this developer who gave birth to A320. I instantly purchased the product.

Alas, the bus was a CTD heaven. It was unusable in most flights and people were literally angry with this developer due to their extremely lacking course of actions to clean up the mess. Captain Sim gesture isn't the first one as Airsimmer is a very archetype of Captain Sim. History repeates!

Today I downloaded FBW A320 and gave it a shot. It is a very excellent addon for a freeware, just couldn't believe they didn't charge even a dollar for this. However, the fun was short. Taxiing was stuttering. Fps is ok, capped 36, got mostly 30-34, but they stutter was a joy killer. Takeoff and climbing until transition were not bad but a new issue emerged, the fps was irrationally low. Most of the time, climbing is oftentimes easier in the fps compared to taxiing. Not until I passed 19000 feet did I notice the fps was solid.

Upon approach, 8 NM from WMKK, I got CTD. Did a second attempt. Changing refresh rate to medium yet the aforementioned pattern still repeated. I managed to hit the threshold on Rwy 13 WAHS but the stutters were just frustrating (I7-12650 + RTX 3050). This resulted in instant removal from the community folder. 

All in all, FBWA320 is still a promising solution for those who don't want to spend more on the Fenix. Hopefully they will find solutions for the performance issues. 

Edited by History

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H + RTX 3050

To be honest the stuttering is a recent thing with the FBW certainly for me for the last few weeks, they do update on a regular basis and it appears that after the last update it introduced stutters (Developer Option). Normally the aircraft is very good in regards to frame rates stutters etc. Looking at your specs it should be able to handle it.

Regards

I do remember the airsimmer "story" although I was not among the victims...

I also used the black box Airbuses an the wilco, but fast fwd I honestly don't have memmory of any stuuters due to using the FBW 320 NEO, quite on the contrary?

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Good old days, I never bought it, but I remember the time waiting for a decent airbus and weather radar. Hilarious that we have many airbuses but still no working weather radar.

Posted (edited)

I bought the Airsimmer A320 for FS9. Total mess, unfortunately.

This was way back in 2009(?) and costed me 55 USD, making it an 80 USD addon in today's money. 😆

It was an arms race back then, we had Airsimmer, Wilco and the Reality XP Airbus (collaboration project) all at one point trying to push out a competitive Airbus.

And now we have the FBW A320 for free. Flight Simulation has advanced so far. Golden age of this hobby is here and now.

Ps: Honorable mention for a gong-show payware Airbus goes to Aviograsf (yes that's spelled correctly) and their A340 for FS9. 

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

2 hours ago, Nicholas Jackson said:

To be honest the stuttering is a recent thing with the FBW certainly for me for the last few weeks, they do update on a regular basis and it appears that after the last update it introduced stutters (Developer Option). Normally the aircraft is very good in regards to frame rates stutters etc. Looking at your specs it should be able to handle it.

Regards

Could you try out the Stable version and see if there is any difference?

Are you on the SU15 Beta? And are you using DX11 or DX12?

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

Can try tomorrow but a quick 10 min flight tonight out of Gatwick didn't show any issues.

Not on Beta and DX11, also bear in mind some users have been reporting a stutter issue over Europe in the Frankfurt area myself included which does seem worse in the FBW in my case.

Posted (edited)

I bought the Airsimmer mod. Man, what a flashback.

Here's one of their (many) hype videos. It looked so good!

Edited by WestAir
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

To the OP: Have you tried the AutoFPS app with the FBW?
No issues here on my end re stuttering and with AutoFPS it got even better..

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I was an early adopter of the Airsimmer A320. I honestly don't think i ever completed one flight with it. Good external model and VC, but riddled in bugs unfortunately. My go to Airbus for FS9 was the wilco the A320 which i seem to remember actually being quite good.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I bought the Airsimmer mod. Man, what a flashback.

Here's one of their (many) hype videos. It looked so good!

Wow...wait...how is the cockpit looking so good in FS9.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I just flew the FBW from KLAX to KSFO.... no stutters whatsoever.  The issue is, someone gets stutters then pronounces that "the aircraft has stutters".   Most stutters are often user-dependent.  The current dev build isn't the smoothest but there are no stutters on my end.

BTW... I am one of the few that loved the Airsimmer!  Even with it's release limitations (and failure to be developed to the promised level), I still thought it was an amazing A3XX.  Prior to that, I'd flown the PSS (they are now Black Box!) A320 and the Feethere A320.    The Airsimmer was a huge step up in textures and VC modelling at the time. 😎

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I can't find the archived webpage now, but the Reality XP Airbus looked amazing from a graphical standpoint. The screen reflections and light casting on the underside of the glareshield looked so far ahead of its time in the 'early noughts'.

I put hundreds of hours into the Wilco series airbus products around the same time, and they were respectable enough. 

It is amazing to think how far we've come!

• Like 1

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

On 4/1/2024 at 11:17 PM, SAS443 said:

I bought the Airsimmer A320 for FS9. Total mess, unfortunately.

This was way back in 2009(?) and costed me 55 USD, making it an 80 USD addon in today's money. 😆

It was an arms race back then, we had Airsimmer, Wilco and the Reality XP Airbus (collaboration project) all at one point trying to push out a competitive Airbus.

And now we have the FBW A320 for free. Flight Simulation has advanced so far. Golden age of this hobby is here and now.

Ps: Honorable mention for a gong-show payware Airbus goes to Aviograsf (yes that's spelled correctly) and their A340 for FS9. 

I could not agree more. Even default Asobo A320Neo is tens times better :D. It was a total mess apart from the potential it once had. I bought it in 2011 and it was 36-37 USD IIRC. I think I missed this Aviograsf A340. However Wilco A340 was quite fun, in fact the Wilco's families were joy to fly. It was the time where merging is a common practice (Posky etc) and there was this good airbus merge that I flew regularly (all the files are gone along with my crashing HDD).

Maybe you're right. Now is the high time to call it the "golden age of flightsim", or at least, a major milestone.

Posted (edited)

On 4/2/2024 at 2:56 AM, markadeane said:

I put hundreds of hours into the Wilco series airbus products around the same time, and they were respectable enough. 

It is amazing to think how far we've come!

Awesome. I wish Wilco would jump in to continue their legacy with their A340. 
Yes, and it's pretty saddening for me that we are not getting any younger. 😌

Edited by History
  • Like 2