Sign in to follow this  
carlanthony24

Active Sky coming to MSFS

Posted (edited)

That would be something to consider buying on day one, after using it for FSX and P3D. Since there's still no official API, I fear any SU/WU can wreck AS and make HiFi run for an update (that word is beginning to be a bad one for me). Let's see what happens.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the PMDG/Fenix WXRs...and to @Ray Proudfoot's reaction 😂

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON) Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

This will have the same limitations as the other third party wx engines we’ve seen. I’m not really sure why HiFi is staking their reputation on this, but I guess they have mouths to feed. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I had it in P3D, however I am happy with default weather, so I don't see the need for it now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Genuine question here.

What is the deal about historical weather? I assume it means setting a date time and getting exactly the real weather conditions at that location and time? Does that cover "forever" (50 years worth maybe) or just some more finite limit, e.g the last ten days or similar?

I can see how people might be attracted to a specific and unusual weather event (hurricane x, storm z etc), but otherwise, what is the attraction? Like I said in my earlier post, I'm only looking for visuals myself, sky wise, but I have always been able to create whatever I wanted with packaged presets or messing around with the settings manually, so I don't understand this thing about historical weather.

Again, not being snarky, I am genuinely interested to know what the attraction is, if anyone is prepared to bother to reply.

thanks

• Upvote 3

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I'm glad to see a majority here are on the same boat. The days of fleecing the community with a myriad of addons that are either unnecessary or completely over sell their actual capabilities is over. We are speaking with our wallets for once and not just our mouths. We've even see this in the payware aircraft scene. We are much smarter with our wallets now and that's a good thing.  Expectations are exceedingly higher than they ever were in the FSX/P3D era. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

To my knowledge, Asobo has yet to open up the weather API? Means, like every other third party injector, it'll just be a different interpretation of metar data that it injects. Probably don't do anything substantial.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Just now, andy1252 said:

Genuine question here.

What is the deal about historical weather? I assume it means setting a date time and getting exactly the real weather conditions at that location and time? Does that cover "forever" (50 years worth maybe) or just some more finite limit, e.g the last ten days or similar?

I can see how people might be attracted to a specific and unusual weather event (hurricane x, storm z etc), but otherwise, what is the attraction? Like I said in my earlier post, I'm only looking for visuals myself, sky wise, but I have always been able to create whatever I wanted with packaged presets or messing around with the settings manually, so I don't understand this thing about historical weather.

Again, not being snarky, I am genuinely interested to know what the attraction is, if anyone is prepared to bother to reply.

thanks

I fly every evening here in Germany. That means - without historical weather - I will never have
a) high summer temperatures at noon in Europe
b) freezing temperatures and/or fog in the morning in Europe
c) lower day temperatures or night temperatures in the US (it will always be about noon everywhere I fly)
d) anything else than low night temperatures in Asia ( because it will always be night over there when I fly).

It's like being able to see the whole world in MSFS, but not have the appropriate temperatures and weather phenomena for those places.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Probably don't do anything substantial.

Did you even bother to read the website? Historical weather, thunderstorm depictions, turbulence (clouds and clear air)... not substantial enough for you?
Also - what they didn't say for now, but what is given - it should be really easy for 3rd party aircraft to access the AS data and create a weather radar image from it. Just like in P3D. So this could finally enable a useful, real-life like WX radar in many aircraft.
For me this is more than substantial, almost game changing. Much more than BATC or SI or whatever. If all that works, that is, so let's wait and see.

• Like 6

Just now, Fiorentoni said:

thunderstorm depictions, turbulence (clouds and clear air).

All things the default weather engine does.  Again, this is overselling a product.  They are literally promoting features the sim already does. 

• Upvote 3

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, styckx said:

All things the default weather engine does.  Again, this is overselling a product.  They are literally promoting features the sim already does. 

What are you talking about? None of these are done by the default engine!

1) I've not seen an actual thunderstorm (with flashes) in years in MSFS. With live weather that is, not presets.
2) There's no cloud or clear air turbulence in MSFS, none. All it does is create terrain and wind induced turbulence, mostly unrealistic and random.

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fiorentoni said:

What are you talking about? None of these are done by the default engine!

This is the MSFS 2020 forum. Are you still on Flight Simulator 95? 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Genuine question here.

What is the deal about historical weather?

As mentioned above, for me it's using recent (last 24 hours) weather to fly in areas later in the day. For example I like to fly in Australia, being in the UK is mostly nighttime weather, using historical I can pop back a few hours and fly in daytime weather instead. This is the point that Jorg Neumann failed to understand in a Q&As, he simply didn't grasp what we were asking for multiple times. 

We have the world at our disposal, but only Live Weather at any one point in time, ActiveSkys Historical Weather looks to change that.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, styckx said:

Thunderstorms in MSFS have been severely lacking for years now to mention thread bare in their existence, the fact I'm able to fly a C152 through the heart of one without much turbulence at all suggests it's still not working correctly.

(I'm referring to Live Weather)

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

It's not only JN who does not want to understand the benefits of historical weather.

• Upvote 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

8 minutes ago, styckx said:

This is the MSFS 2020 forum. Are you still on Flight Simulator 95? 

You mean because they are so easy to mix up since both have no cloud turbulence or CAT?