Sign in to follow this  
carlanthony24

Active Sky coming to MSFS

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I understand your point, but this is Active sky being discussed.  If somebody recommended a Ferrari for your next car, you wouldn't need to see it to know it's going to be good.

Same thing applies with ActiveSky. 😁☺️😋

Umm no sir. Not for me it doesn’t. Everything sounds positive at the moment but at the end of the day the product.. not the hearsay must demonstrate its value

looking forward to the demonstrations and reviews

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

3 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I understand your point, but this is Active sky being discussed.  If somebody recommended a Ferrari for your next car, you wouldn't need to see it to know it's going to be good.

The restrictions of the locked-down weather API in MSFS are so at odd with every other platform AS has built a product for, I'm genuinely not sure how applicable those earlier products will be to what they can deliver in MSFS.

• Like 3

@Damian ClarkWondering how AS historic weather might work with ATC addons. Does AS come with an API or something like that? No idea how that works. Would be cool if I could use BeyondATC together with historic weather.

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Yeah, about that...

PHOTO-2018-08-10-13-43-01-e1533920894148

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess ActiveSky is going to be better than Ferraris.  😉

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sethos said:

I get your point and I own ActiveSky for every sim but I don't give blind faith to anyone. An artist is only as good as their last work and releasing a product to something with a very closed down API, that has lots of roundabout ways of getting it to work means this isn't Active Sky at its best and there is bound to be compromises. So I definitely need to see what they've come up with.

Quite right, that's why I put the smilies in 😄

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I have been a very long time user (since early FS2004 if memory serves but might have even been FS2000 or FS98) of Active Sky and have always been very impressed with the product and support from HiFi SImulations.  I will be purchasing this version for MSFS as close to day one as possible for no other reason then to support the developers.  I have no doubt that when HiFi gets more access to the internal workings of FS2020/2024 they will put out an absolutely fantastic weather generating program as they have always done.  I think its even likely this new version of Active Sky will push the limits of what we have seen already.

A lot of new people in this hobby since FS2020 came out and I don't think they understand the importance of developers like HiFi are to the hobby.  Sometimes you gotta through them a bone every once in a while so they can continue to develop the product.      

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maxis said:

Umm no sir. Not for me it doesn’t.

Of course not. I thought the smilies showed my post was tongue in cheek.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Posted (edited)

Hi all, 

A quick post about air effects. I just performed a quick flight with the latest build of ASFS in real-time 1300z from Venice to Lyon (LIPZ-LFLL) and the turbulence and CAT is amazingly realistic. I had a tail wind down to localizer capture and the PMDG 737 was doing a little dance; just like you would feel or see if you were in the real thing. People are going to love how the "air feels."

With historical weather you will be able to experience what I did earlier today using passive mode. Once ASFS is synched to sim time using historical weather (don't forget to check the box) you'll be able to recreate any flight you have experienced in the last while.

Rob

Edited by HUSSAR
  • Like 4

\Robert Hamlich/

1 hour ago, Matchstick said:

The restrictions of the locked-down weather API in MSFS are so at odd with every other platform AS has built a product for, I'm genuinely not sure how applicable those earlier products will be to what they can deliver in MSFS.

Obviously, hence the smilies in my post 🤔

3 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Of course not. I thought the smilies showed my post was toung in cheek.

Fair enough .. my apologies for misreading.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Will the Active Sky turbulence models replace the need for the  RealTurb V2 addon ?

5 minutes ago, mobeans10 said:

Will the Active Sky turbulence models replace the need for the  RealTurb V2 addon ?

It's designed to be compatible.  RealTurb has always provided some additional features that work on top of AS and this should not change, although it may need an update since ASFS hasn't been available until now.

• Like 1

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Well I put my money where my mouth was earlier this thread. Installed, configured (Realism Mode) and ready to go tonight.

Set my PMDG WX folder default for first time in the sim. 

Point of interest: There is only ONE default PMDG WX folder assignable but I have more than one PMDG plane. I will have to find out if I need to change this default when I change plane or copy files etc. To be fair I don't even KNOW what this does yet hehe. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Well I put my money where my mouth was earlier this thread. Installed, configured (Realism Mode) and ready to go tonight.

Set my PMDG WX folder default for first time in the sim. 

Point of interest: There is only ONE default PMDG WX folder assignable but I have more than one PMDG plane. I will have to find out if I need to change this default when I change plane or copy files etc. To be fair I don't even KNOW what this does yet hehe. 

Thanks for your support!

Yes, you should change it when you change airplanes.  We're planning on a more transparent integration here moving forward to eliminate the need to change this manually.  This supplies wind data uplink to the FMC based on AS data.

Edited by Damian Clark

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies