Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Are Avsim REVIEWS totally DOA?

Posted (edited)

Avsim does not have a Review Editor or anyone providing that function AFAIK.

No new aircraft reviews have been published since April 2019.

No new hardware reviews have been published since April 2018.

No new scenery reviews have been published since August 2021.

Edited by raymar

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Maybe one of our outstanding Moderators would step in and carry the ball to get a few 2024 reviews published.  I personally have two hardware reviews almost completed, but, no one to send them to for review and publishing.

@Bob Scott and @charliearon. Thoughts?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

None!

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Maybe something management can discuss to fill the position. It’s wasted real estate space on the webpage that if used would bring additional traffic. I have some ideas. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Well, if someone wants to step up and volunteer to be the review editor, I'll consider it.  As it is. our current staff is stretched pretty thin.

Reviews are always welcome to be posted in the relevant forum.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, raymar said:

Avsim does not have a Review Editor or anyone providing that function AFAIK.

No new aircraft reviews have been published since April 2019.

No new hardware reviews have been published since April 2018.

No new scenery reviews have been published since August 2021.

I'm afraid there are other new sites that make all those reviews in a very good and efficient way.

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

My biggest reservation about reviving an "official" review department here is that when we publish reviews, they are considered to come from "AVSIM".  So reviews published under our banner would have to meet fairly high standards, enforced by an engaged staff review editor or editors.  There are few things that give me a giant case of the beak like being led down the primrose path into buying what turns out to be a real turkey, only to discover that the reviewer had some kind of conflict of interest.  One example: having a sale link posted alongside a glowing review--that's a big red flag that immediately calls the reviewer's and/or publisher's motives into serious question.  Less obvious conflicts include folks that publish reviews but fail to disclose that they were gifted free review copies (and thus expected to sing praise), and even a few fraudsters operating under a fake identity while doing a sock puppet song and dance on behalf of the developer or publisher.  Incomplete reviews that miss (intentionally or otherwise) important aspects (like frame rate performance, missing/incorrect navaids, poor flight dynamics etc), or fail to put the experience into perspective with a thorough description of the testing environment (e.g. system specs, other add-ons, etc), can be equally misleading.

So for a very long time I have generally taken the combined picture constructed from the opinions of known personalities in the sim universe over reviews posted on web sites and video streaming services.  And reading the opinions and experiences of a variety of users, particularly those with credible flying and simulation backgrounds, often paints a more complete picture than even a good thorough, and (relatively) unbiased review.  That said, when contemplating a purchase, a good thorough review with representative screenies and/or video is still potentially illuminating--but only as one of many inputs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

Well, if someone wants to step up and volunteer to be the review editor, I'll consider it.  As it is. our current staff is stretched pretty thin.

Reviews are always welcome to be posted in the relevant forum.

That sounds easy enough, but, it is impossible to post there without rights to post.  I tried last week and was not able to add content to the REVIEWS section.  Closest second choice would be wasted in Hangar Chat.

Bob, I personally do not know a single Reviewer that buys a copy of a product and then decides to spend upwards of 100 hours writing a review.  I would venture a guess that practically all Reviewers are provided evaluation copies and that source can usually be found in the Credits section of the review along with others that may have contributed input and/or screenshots.

Times may be changing along with management, but, some facts remain.  The last 5 Avsim hardware reviews that I contributed that are still listed on the first page have a total of something North of 100,000 views.

Someone once said "You may have thrown out the Baby along with the bathwater" of something similar.

Best Regards,

Ray Marshall

Well, in the present state of affairs without an active dedicated reviews forum, a hardware review would certainly be both appropriate and visible in one of the...hardware forums.  A review of an MSFS add-on would go in the MSFS forum, etc etc.  We could certainly tag it as a review as well.  Given that the major search engines all crawl our forums, a simple web search on DuckDuckGo, Bing, Google etc would certainly find it there just as easily as in the previous dedicated forum.

The "baby" didn't get "thrown out" with anything--the near-crippling loss of some of our long-time volunteer staffers as the result of serious illnesses and death was the biggest factor in the reviews section going dormant, and it was indeed dormant for years--long before I took the helm here.  As I said above, I'd consider reincarnating it...but at present I'm inclined to wait until I see enough activity and quality review content materializing to make it worth going back to maintaining a separate reviews section as we once did.

Of course there are reviewers that put in a major effort and do a great job.  There are also some that try very hard, but really don't know what they don't know.  And there are a few that publish with a marketing agenda--selling a product, directly or indirectly, trying to elicit clicks and views for profit, even a few on crusades to malign a disfavored developer in order to fuel an ongoing feud.  In the past I've been led on to buy some real losers (or to not buy some decent add-ons) by virtue of reading reviews that were completely off the reservation (not necessarily here)...and more than just a few times.  So if we're going to do it under the AVSIM flag, we've got to do it right, and that's a non-trivial proposition for both the reviewers and for AVSIM.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, I've been writing reviews with the Avsim tag as a Contributing Reviewer, which was attached to my Avsim membership until someone seemed fit to remove it.  I was also listed as a Contributing Reviewer along with the Avsim Staff for many years.  (12 years or so)

A simple search using your engine of choice (DuckDuckgo, Bing, Google) seeking "Ray Marshall, Avsim Reviews" should give you a few pages with a short description for each including recommendations and comments should give one a feel for what the cyber community has as records.

Regards,

Ray Marshall

10 hours ago, edpatino said:

I'm afraid there are other new sites that make all those reviews in a very good and efficient way.

Hello Ed,

Can you recommend some of these new sites that you are speaking of?  Links would be great.

Regards,

Ray

31 minutes ago, raymar said:

Well, I've been writing reviews with the Avsim tag as a Contributing Reviewer, which was attached to my Avsim membership until someone seemed fit to remove it.  I was also listed as a Contributing Reviewer along with the Avsim Staff for many years.  (12 years or so)

A simple search using your engine of choice (DuckDuckgo, Bing, Google) seeking "Ray Marshall, Avsim Reviews" should give you a few pages with a short description for each including recommendations and comments should give one a feel for what the cyber community has as records.

It wasn't a tag, it was a forum user group that existed back when we had people actively doing reviews...as you yourself pointed out in the OP, that activity has largely been ceased for 5+ years, so that vestigial user group was removed during an admin update a few months ago, which reverted any remaining former members of that group to "Member."  It's nothing personal...the activity clearly stopped, the volunteer editors that were managing it are gone, and the user group became superfluous.  It could be recreated given sufficient interest, as I have mentioned several times now, but again, that would require a volunteer or volunteers to step up to manage it, and enough activity to justify it.

• Upvote 1

Whatta you know.  I found a neat little tidbit in the history books.  I was personally invited to become an Avsim Reviewer by none other than Tom Allensworth himself.  Interesting reading. . .July 14, 2010

Quality standards near rock bottom on this review - AVSIM Reviews Feedback - The AVSIM Community Top of Page 2.

Regards,

Ray

21 hours ago, raymar said:

Whatta you know.  I found a neat little tidbit in the history books.  I was personally invited to become an Avsim Reviewer by none other than Tom Allensworth himself.  Interesting reading. . .July 14, 2010

Quality standards near rock bottom on this review - AVSIM Reviews Feedback - The AVSIM Community Top of Page 2.

Regards,

Ray

I hope you volunteer and get to review the Turbine Duke again and soon:

https://www.avsim.com/home/reviews/aircraft/review-turbine-duke-2-by-realair-r3030/

https://www.avsim.com/home/reviews/review-training-majestic-dash-8-q400-by-airline2sim-r2380/