Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Poll: Graphic Artifacts with Nvidia RTX 40x DLSS Frame Gen

Do you experience graphic artifacts when using Nvidia RTX 40xx Frame Generation?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you experience graphic artifacts when using Nvidia RTX 40xx Frame Generation?

• Yes, I experience some artifacts but never find them bad enough to avoid using FG outright.
    • No, I never experience any artifacts when FG is enabled.
    • Sometimes graphic artifacts are bad enough I will turn FG off, and sometimes it's not bad so will leave FG on.
    • Yes, but have found ways to reduce or eliminate them so use FG always (see thread for comments)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/23/2024 at 09:16 PM

Posted (edited)

I've been perplexed at why it is I seem to be one of very few who find artifacts associated with hardware based Nvidia DLSS Frame Generation usually much too severe to ignore so 90% of the time I have FG turned off, which of course is unfortunate at best.  Oddly, and this seems mostly to do with time-of-day lighting (dawn/dusk seems worse), sometimes these aberrations are modest enough to use FG so I do.  For me these artifacts happen with any kind of motion including the plane rolling or panning the cockpit and include:

• Flickering/strobing when looking at tarmac, typically out the side window of the airliners I fly.
  • Shimmer/flicker of certain elements in glass cockpits, or for example characters in the PMDG 738 FMC, when panning.

Fortunately I can almost always maintain a minimum native rate of 40fps but the bad part is not able to set native at 30fps and get all of that headroom.  Again, just trying to get a feel for why I seem to be in what seems to be a party of very few with this issue.  I also have two screens at play and discovered this is not the issue, though it has known issues when FG is enabled for the main screen.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

FG on, DLSS on quality, 4K native -> Off we go. No problems. 4080/12900K/32GB

If MSFS runs with FG has to be on DX12, it is in beta! I believe it would be a good idea to raise the issue with ASOBO and make sure it is fixed properly. Despite what some may claim, there are instances of CTDs and other issues related to the unfinished DX12 in this software. Another potential cause for these issues could be an improperly overclocked CPU and GPU.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

What is an artifact?  I have a 4080 and don't really see anything unusual.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Honestly no problems. Loving DX12, FG and DLSS 3,6, Ultra Quality at 0,80 on my 4K display. Not on Beta either.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Honestly, seen nothing that bothers me. Only thing I really see is a hiccup when I click something on my other monitor and back, as it syncs up.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

32 minutes ago, LRBS said:

If MSFS runs with FG has to be on DX12, it is in beta! I believe it would be a good idea to raise the issue with ASOBO and make sure it is fixed properly. Despite what some may claim, there are instances of CTDs and other issues related to the unfinished DX12 in this software. Another potential cause for these issues could be an improperly overclocked CPU and GPU.

DX12 in beta has nothing to do with it though.  Artifacts are just a consequence of using FG at lower frame rates.  I have seen them in titles such as Cyber Punk for example when panning the screen quickly. 

Better drivers and versions of DLSS3 might reduce it in future, but it has got nothing to do with a fault in DX12.

I do agree Asobo need to fix up DX12 and the sims interaction with it, as we still have a few other issues such as tile bleed, and the really poor water reflections from the cockpit when next to the structure of the aircraft, such as the window frames.  Also, although the sim can run in DX12, there is next to no actual optimisation for it.  Other titles show much bigger performance gains in DX12.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Asus PG279Q display (2560x1440) @100Hz Gsync fullscreen, Dynamic Super Resolution 3840x2160 on desktop (200% scale for my old eyes) and in MSFS, DLSS 3.7, Nvidia 4090, 13900KS CPU

Absolutely stutterfree experience without shimmering using TrackIR panning since I read this article and changed my settings.

Posted (edited)

Great idea with the poll Noel. The only FG-related artifacts I see is the ones caused by incorrectly rendered AI frames. I notice this very rarely, even when scrutinizing my own YT videos. Last time I saw it was on fast moving numbers on the dev mode overlay: 

8WKslkB.jpg

Apart from that, FG works great, as long as the native FPS is high enough (30-35). 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I've been perplexed at why it is I seem to be one of very few who find artifacts associated with hardware based Nvidia DLSS Frame Generation usually much too severe to ignore so 90% of the time I have FG turned off, which of course is unfortunate at best.  Oddly, and this seems mostly to do with time-of-day lighting (dawn/dusk seems worse), sometimes these aberrations are modest enough to use FG so I do.  For me these artifacts happen with any kind of motion including the plane rolling or panning the cockpit and include:

• Flickering/strobing when looking at tarmac, typically out the side window of the airliners I fly.
  • Shimmer/flicker of certain elements in glass cockpits, or for example characters in the PMDG 738 FMC, when panning.

Fortunately I can almost always maintain a minimum native rate of 40fps but the bad part is not able to set native at 30fps and get all of that headroom.  Again, just trying to get a feel for why I seem to be in what seems to be a party of very few with this issue.  I also have two screens at play and discovered this is not the issue, though it has known issues when FG is enabled for the main screen.

I don't understand why you are still perplexed. Several weeks ago you posted on this forum that you'd determined your old CPU was not capable of keeping up with the new GPU you'd just installed. Your explanation for the graphics problems made perfect sense. You further speculated that others here had purchased entirely new machines -- with state-of-the-art CPUs and GPUs correctly matched from the start -- and that they therefore didn't experience the graphic artifacts you suffered with your current mismatch of CPU and GPU. I don't understand, now, why you are once again befuddled. You already correctly diagnosed the problem and solution (upgrading your CPU). 

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

43 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

DX12 in beta has nothing to do with it though.  Artifacts are just a consequence of using FG at lower frame rates.  

Better drivers and versions of DLSS3 might reduce it in future, but it has got nothing to do with a fault in DX12.

Other titles show much bigger performance gains in DX12.

I am afraid that there might be a misunderstanding. What I meant was that FG is only supported in DX12. Additionally, I agree that it's possible for artifacts to appear during frame generation when using DX12, especially at lower frame rates. Even if we have the latest drivers and versions of DLSS3, it won't make a difference if the software isn't optimized correctly for DX12.

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

6 minutes ago, LRBS said:

I am afraid that there might be a misunderstanding. What I meant was that FG is only supported in DX12. Additionally, I agree that it's possible for artifacts to appear during frame generation when using DX12, especially at lower frame rates. Even if we have the latest drivers and versions of DLSS3, it won't make a difference if the software isn't optimized correctly for DX12.

I see.  Yes I agree.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, David Mills said:

I don't understand, now, why you are once again befuddled. You already correctly diagnosed the problem and solution (upgrading your CPU).

You are the guy that was sure to note I hadn't updated my sig when I made the original post some time ago, that some believed the post title might be about the FG mod, not Nv hardware-based FG, since I had already installed RTX4090.  I updated my sig a few weeks ago when I installed the new CPU, take note.  The issues persist, hence as I stated clearly in this post I remain perplexed others aren't having the same issues that obviate the use of FG, most of the time in my situation.  I made the post to find out how common this might be with high end hardware, and if there might be a potential solution.  The first step of this is finding out how much is just that people are sufficiently happy with FG to ignore its artifacts, or if it's possible others aren't seeing this.  I am 1000% certain if anyone sees what I see, they would likely react the same way I have.  Maybe it's my specific display?  That is common to both CPU/motherboards.  I just don't have a clue and wish I did.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

What is an artifact?  I have a 4080 and don't really see anything unusual.

Did you not read what I wrote, or was this not clear enough? 

• Shimmer/flicker of certain elements in glass cockpits, or for example characters in the PMDG 738 FMC, when panning

These things don't happen w/o FG being ON, and they're anywhere from modest and easy to ignore (rarely) to so distracting I end up killing FG.  I tried once before to video this and maybe I can do it with my iPhone.  Capturing w/ built in video altered what I see live so I will try this once landed in....Bucharest ;o)

Edited by Noel

Noel

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

Did you not read what I wrote, or was this not clear enough? 

• Shimmer/flicker of certain elements in glass cockpits, or for example characters in the PMDG 738 FMC, when panning

These things don't happen w/o FG being ON, and they're anywhere from modest and easy to ignore (rarely) to so distracting I end up killing FG.  I tried once before to video this and maybe I can do it with my iPhone.  Capturing w/ built in video altered what I see live so I will try this once landed in....Bucharest ;o)

The only thing I really get is the occasional flicker from my monitor, especially if I tab over to my second non gysnc monitor.  It used to flicker quite badly (the main MSFS monitor) when I tabbed out or the screen focused on the 2nd monitor.  But I think a recent SU along with new nvidia drivers fixed that.

In my experience the artifacts tend to happen when the actual FPS drops and the AI tries to generate the new frame...  if I have like 30+ actual fps, frame gen works very well.  But when I go lower (and I do haha - eye candy!!) I definitely get some flickers here and there.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |