Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Historical weather planned for MSFS 2024

I thought this announcement deserves its own thread since historical weather has been talked about so much at Avsim. In the Twitch Q&A today, they said a 24 hour historical weather snapshot is planned for MSFS 2024. Just a 24 hour snapshot, better than nothing. But there you go, for all the people that want historical weafher in MSFS.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I have little tears in my eyes ... never thought I would live to see it

• Like 7

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted (edited)

I just want them to make 2024 at least as compatible with ASFS as MFS 2020 is even with it's many limitations...

One day is ok-ish... But ASFS already gives me what I have in p3d and XP historic-weather wise...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

24h is pretty good if it's about having the right weather for the time of day of your flight whereever you fly. That said I wonder how they'll manage to do this with their global weather model with cloud formations and stuff. Also would be great to have something else than 24 hours of cumulus clouds 😄

• Upvote 1

I mean feature wise it's obviously great news and I'm looking forward too it, but it's definitely one of those "wait and see" features so I'm not getting too excited just yet.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

The reason they can't back port it to 2020 is because of how different the weather system is in 2024.

• Like 3

24 hours is enough for me. Good news!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

I thought this announcement deserves its own thread since historical weather has been talked about so much at Avsim. In the Twitch Q&A today, they said a 24 hour historical weather snapshot is planned for MSFS 2024. Just a 24 hour snapshot, better than nothing. But there you go, for all the people that want historical weafher in MSFS.

It sounds like they are tying the time-of-day slider to the weather depicted.  That's how it should have always been.  I mean, they tied the light depiction to the time-of-day, and not the weather?  It never made any sense.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

So get ASFS and you won't be restricted to 24 hours.   Here is what you get in ASFS

Ground snow coverage data is available for the past 10 days only. Tropical storm data is available live and older than 10 days in the past (not available historically within 10 days of present). All other weather data is available, in hourly archives, for the past several years. Some dates/times or data layers may not be available. Coverage, resolution, and availability is subject to change.

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Not so 'historical' if data only goes back to...yesterday. But better than nothing I guess.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So get ASFS and you won't be restricted to 24 hours.   

Yes, hopefully it will still work in MSFS2024.

With this announcement that they will only provide historical weather for just 24h it is already clear now that we will need third party weather addons in MSFS2024 as well.

I just hope MS/Asobo will allow that to a wider extent than they did in MSFS2020. 

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, edu2703 said:

Not so 'historical' if data only goes back to...yesterday. But better than nothing I guess.

It's mostly for people on the other side of the planet that want to fly in the day on the other side where it's currently dark.

Like if someone in Japan wants to fly in America, that's a 12 hour difference (depending on the timezone). It will be most likely night.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

With this announcement that they will only provide historical weather for just 24h it is already clear now that we will need third party weather addons in MSFS2024 as well.

It is? Since we really have no idea of what the new weather engine will be capable of it seems to me entirely unclear what will or will not be needed.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DD_Arthur said:

It is? Since we really have no idea of what the new weather engine will be capable of it seems to me entirely unclear what will or will not be needed.

Well, we already know now that it will only provide "historical" weather for just 24 hours, so it will still be deficient in that regard.

59 minutes ago, Mace said:

It sounds like they are tying the time-of-day slider to the weather depicted.  That's how it should have always been.  I mean, they tied the light depiction to the time-of-day, and not the weather?  It never made any sense.

Exactly. And the same goes for the date. They tie the position of the sun, time of sunrise and sunset to the date set in the sim, but still not the weather. So we will still for example encounter blizzards (as per the IRL winter weather of the current day) even if we set the date in the sim to summer, etc.

So after all this announcement - though better than nothing - is quite disappointing to me. 

I just hope that third party weather addons like ASFS will still be possible in MSFS2024, otherwise it would even be a step back in this regard, now that we have historical weather for several years in the past with ASFS in MSFS.