Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What do you guys think of Alienware PCs?

1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

That looks like a nice system, especially the case, and it looks like HP is at least using standard motherboard sizes and parts you can swap out down the road. One thing to note after a quick search: it looks like a few years ago HP had a very limited BIOS in this model, and they did some wonky power limiting that kept the CPU from its full potential. It looks like the newer models have an "extreme" mode that will apparently void the warranty, so it's possible it's a bit more tweakable now, but that is the thing with the big names: they are typically limited in tweakability and err on the side of caution by targeting lower power limits and memory speeds. It's not going to result in a huge performance hit, but you could get 5-15% lower performance than what is possible with something custom built.

If I had a choice between the HP and one of MicroCenter's PowerSpec systems at the same specs and price, I would choose the latter since it uses a reputable off-the-shelf motherboard and if something broke, I could always take it back to MicroCenter for support (and you won't void any warranties by running the system at the speeds it is designed for). You may also be able to score a deal on one of their in-house builds. But that HP system is still a beast in its own right with plenty of good reviews.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, YukonPete said:

Most people go the other way. Terrible PC's

And you base this absolute statement on what exactly? When did you last own an Alienware Desktop PC ? I've shared my experience and that I've not had a single issue with it, so not sure what this comment adds.

Edited by Speedbird 217
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Funky D said:

That looks like a nice system, especially the case, and it looks like HP is at least using standard motherboard sizes and parts you can swap out down the road. One thing to note after a quick search: it looks like a few years ago HP had a very limited BIOS in this model, and they did some wonky power limiting that kept the CPU from its full potential. It looks like the newer models have an "extreme" mode that will apparently void the warranty, so it's possible it's a bit more tweakable now, but that is the thing with the big names: they are typically limited in tweakability and err on the side of caution by targeting lower power limits and memory speeds. It's not going to result in a huge performance hit, but you could get 5-15% lower performance than what is possible with something custom built.

If I had a choice between the HP and one of MicroCenter's PowerSpec systems at the same specs and price, I would choose the latter since it uses a reputable off-the-shelf motherboard and if something broke, I could always take it back to MicroCenter for support (and you won't void any warranties by running the system at the speeds it is designed for). You may also be able to score a deal on one of their in-house builds. But that HP system is still a beast in its own right with plenty of good reviews.

I didn't notice it was an HP...I just looked at the specs.  I've owned one HP in my life and it had issues.  I hope this one doesn't because I ended up getting rid of it.  I'm not in the slightest interested in overclocking or pushing past specs.  I want something to perform and use it for years.  Honestly, the only thing I think I'd upgrade on it would be harddrives.  

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

3 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

And you base this absolute statement on what exactly? When did you last own an Alienware Desktop PC ? I've shared my experience and that I've not had a single issue with it, so not sure what this comment adds.

In defense of Dell stuff, the thing that has me looking at them is the warranty.  You get the Plus warranty and, if anything goes wrong, they send someone to your house and fix it, usually the next day.  I think they're about 5-10% slower than the top end stuff so it's a trade off.  

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

In defense of Dell stuff, the thing that has me looking at them is the warranty.  You get the Plus warranty and, if anything goes wrong, they send someone to your house and fix it, usually the next day.  I think they're about 5-10% slower than the top end stuff so it's a trade off.  

I bought a top-of-the-line Alienware gaming laptop, partly because of the warranty, because laptops don't lend themselves to do-it-yourself troubleshooting.  I also paid for the 4-year upgraded service plan.  Within the first week, the display started randomly booting up with green dots all over the screen.

The subsequent odyssey through their horrid cookie-cutter call-center support, where marginally intelligible offshore handlers led me by the hand through scripted procedures to do things I had already done was several orders of magnitude beyond underwhelming.  I never did get the problem fixed, but hey, now I can speak Hindi! 

The computer went back to Dell and I concluded that the company is no longer what it once was.  Never again.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

If your budget is more flexible (i.e., you can spend way more), you might want to look at Falcon NW.  https://www.falcon-nw.com/.  Reviews of the products are not as frequent as they once were, but they were/are well regarded.  

Edited by Iadbound

16 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

I owned 4. From 2006 to the last one in 2016. Each generation got worse! My first in early 2006 was awesome. Before Dell wrecked the brand!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

On 4/25/2024 at 3:55 PM, Gregg_Seipp said:

I guess, really it comes down to the fact that I don't want to build my own this time so I'm looking for a prebuilt.

I don't blame you for that sentiment!  I was researching pre-builts myself recently as I had decided to go AMD and never had before then decided what the heck might as well do one more.  

Another option you have if you want to again do your own build is to check with someone here about EXACTLY which components to acquire--this way you don't have to figure anything out and TBH that's for me probably the biggest part of the job the rest is pretty mechanical, and you have proof of what works from that person at least.  I just built my 7800X3D/RTX4090/6000mHz DDR5 system and all is very well, super stable, good temps and great performance.  I'm happy to share my parts list and give instruction on how to configure things, not that there is a lot of that to do after it's all setup and installed.  The plus side of this is that you get very familiar with everything, as you know if you've done this before.  I didn't want to do AIO liquid cooling so opted for Noctua air and temps in MSFS are in the range of 64C to 70C on average, and bonus using the single tower Noctua NH-U12A which is considerably smaller yet amply effective, for this CPU.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

15 hours ago, YukonPete said:

I owned 4. From 2006 to the last one in 2016. Each generation got worse! My first in early 2006 was awesome. Before Dell wrecked the brand!

I feel like Dell has pivoted to primarily enterprise customers, especially on the desktop side of things. Let's face it, outside of gaming, most home users buy laptops these days or just rely on their phone/tablet. I believe Dell is one of the only companies that still offers onsite service, and the use of customized components enables technicians to quickly swap out parts. Gaming PCs are an afterthought for Dell and the other major brands like HP and Lenovo, since enterprise customers are their bread and butter. I would bet the home users make up less than 10% of Dell/HP/Lenovo's desktop sales.

Also, most gaming "influencers" on Twitch/YouTube are using custom PC builds from smaller companies... I'm guessing it's easier to get a sponsorship from someone like iBuyPower than it is from Dell. But the big guys saw the premium these small companies were getting for their custom PCs and decided to get in on the action. Just change the BIOS of your enterprise desktop motherboard, stick it in a case with fancy LEDs and call it a gaming PC!

• Like 1

Just like a true Jedi building must his lasersword himself, a true gamer and simmer must build his own custom PC...

When building a PC yourself you get the good parts for 1000 - some OEM "gaming" pre-build always costs 3000 Bucks if not more. And the best detail when building your PC yourself: you end up with two RAM-bars running in dual-channel.

• Like 2

You can find companies that will build you a PC to your spec`s no bloatware. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Posted (edited)

I like Alienware PC's,  not laptops,  i would never buy a gaming laptop ( personally speaking)   

I had a i73930k alienware PC in 2014,  never gave me a days trouble.   Now they have released the R16 and i will be getting myself a i7 / 4080 set up in the coming weeks,  no hesitation at all.

Just make sure you spend the extra couple of hundred for accidental coverage,  I will be going for 3 years,  well worth it. 

Edited by Poppet

On 4/28/2024 at 3:05 AM, JetCat said:

Just like a true Jedi building must his lasersword himself, a true gamer and simmer must build his own custom PC...

When building a PC yourself you get the good parts for 1000 - some OEM "gaming" pre-build always costs 3000 Bucks if not more. And the best detail when building your PC yourself: you end up with two RAM-bars running in dual-channel.

I tend to agree with this.  Not to mention the satisfaction and knowledge that come from the process pay dividends later in this hobby.   

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Only thing worth a word not allowed carrying the Alienware brand is those OLED Ultrawides. Anything else is absolutely garbage and I wouldn't recommend an Alienware PC even to people I didn't like. Overpriced, shoddy built and awful support.

I will always advocate building it yourself, always the best solution but I'd pick a prebuilt from almost anywhere else before I'd even consider Alienware.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB