Sign in to follow this  
JYW

Say Intentions - money taken, Pilot Portal down for days!

Posted (edited)

No, he is simply wrong and has no idea what he is talking about. American companies can do whatever they want hiding their company names and personal data of their employess, this is per sé a "problem" of the amercian laws and not European law.

When they do business in Europe and are proceeding personal data of european citizens - then the GDPR regulations come into play. But this does not apply to a company name. That´s a total different law he is talking about and this does not apply to american companies.

But of course the turbomax-guy knows everything and we all should listen to his advice. Amen.

Edited by techman
  • Upvote 1

The title is clickbait. Pure and simple. The post itself seems at best half-baked (and that's putting it mildly).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Thank’s I wasn’t aware it was a reoccurring charge, I’m normally away from simming for the summer months and had presumed my service had been paused by not renewing.

Not an issue, I’ll cancel my subscription, only for the time being while away on my summer sim break, I do like the product and will sign up again when the nights start drawing in again.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, techman said:

American companies can do whatever they want hiding their company names ....

not when they do business with european customers. JYW is obvioulsly in the UK He was clearly referring to UK and EU laws. not re. american companies doing business elsewhere.

"he is simply wrong and has no idea what he is talking about" 🤣

"But this does not apply to a company name."

it does, because without address and company name and info you are not allowed to do business in the UK and EU anyway. without such information GDPR rights could not be enforced at all.

"Organisations based outside the EU must also appoint an EU-based person as a representative and point of contact for their GDPR obligations (Article 27)."

"The GDPR also applies to data controllers and processors outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) if they are engaged in the "offering of goods or services" (regardless of whether a payment is required) to data subjects within the EEA,"

whether S.I. is an american company or not is not obvious on their web site as they are hiding all their details and prefer to remain totally anonymous. and it is irrelevant if they do business with customers in the EU and UK.

"American companies can do whatever they want,...."

yes, in the EU and UK provided they pay a €50 million fine. 🤣

"Facebook and subsidiaries WhatsApp and Instagram, as well as Google LLC .... were immediately sued ... for their use of "forced consent". ...... On 21 January 2019, Google was fined €50 million by the French DPA for showing insufficient control, consent, and transparency ..."

"American companies can do whatever they want ..."

"The U.S. state of California passed the California Consumer Privacy Act on 28 June 2018, Virginia passed the Consumer Data Privacy Act on 2 March 2021,[141]  Colorado enacted the Colorado Privacy Act on 8 July 2021"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

I don't to business with an anonymous entity. but that's only my personal preference.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

14 hours ago, JYW said:

I did not feel I encountered anything that suggested that I had agreed to recurring payments being taken from my bank.   I know how subs work, but in many cases, it's possible to use a subscription service, while not utilizing automatic recurring payments.  In other words, one must make the payment manually each month (via Paypal, etc).   This is what I feel the wording suggested I was signing up, on SI.

I must be missing something here, because it says on their website:

"Users may cancel their membership at any time, which will disable the automatic renewal feature."

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mspencer said:

GDPR, a....regulation enforced only in the EU,

"The U.S. state of California passed the California Consumer Privacy Act on 28 June 2018, .. Virginia passed the Consumer Data Privacy Act on 2 March 2021, Colorado enacted the Colorado Privacy Act on 8 July 2021.

The regulation became a model for many other laws around the world, including in Turkey, Mauritius, Chile, Japan, Brazil, South Korea, South Africa, Argentina and Kenya.

"China's first comprehensive law designed to regulate online data and protect personal information" came into force in 2021.

Switzerland will also adopt a new data protection law that largely follows EU's GDPR"

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

not when they do business with european customers. JYW is obvioulsly in the UK He was clearly referring to UK and EU laws. not re. american companies doing business elsewhere.

"But this does not apply to a company name."

it does, because without address and company name and info you are not allowed to do business in the UK and EU anyway. without such information GDPR rights could not be enforced at all.

"Organisations based outside the EU must also appoint an EU-based person as a representative and point of contact for their GDPR obligations (Article 27)."

"The GDPR also applies to data controllers and processors outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) if they are engaged in the "offering of goods or services" (regardless of whether a payment is required) to data subjects within the EEA,"

whether S.I. is an american company or not is not obvious on their web site as they are hiding all their details and prefer to remain totally anonymous. and it is irrelevant if they do business with customers in the EU and UK.

"American companies can do whatever they want,...."

yes, in the EU and UK provided they pay a €50 million fine. 🤣

"Facebook and subsidiaries WhatsApp and Instagram, as well as Google LLC .... were immediately sued ... for their use of "forced consent". ...... On 21 January 2019, Google was fined €50 million by the French DPA for showing insufficient control, consent, and transparency ..."

"American companies can do whatever they want ..."

"The U.S. state of California passed the California Consumer Privacy Act on 28 June 2018, Virginia passed the Consumer Data Privacy Act on 2 March 2021,[141]  Colorado enacted the Colorado Privacy Act on 8 July 2021"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

I don't to business with an anonymous entity. but that's only my personal preference.

Well. Be number one on my ignored list. You are talking such a nonsense that it doesnt make any sense to read your posts in the future. Bye.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

no wonder nearly every dev ignores this place lol

as long as a dev doesn't ignore international laws all is well. most follow the international laws re. customer rights. like Flight1, OrbX and many others. 

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

Posted (edited)

Just to close this one off from my (OP) perspective.

Brian from SI responded to my email and was prompt and helpful.  He refunded the last, unused month's charge, manually removed my bank details and wished me well.

Can't say fairer than that. 

I still think the recurrent payment notice should be larger and more clear but in terms of my issues, Brian has cheerfully and helpfully resolved them all.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I'm very surprised this topic hasn't been closed already

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

4 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

Avsim at its finest....no wonder nearly every dev ignores this place lol

Fallacy of hasty generalization ! You are welcome 🙂

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

6 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

Avsim at its finest....no wonder nearly every dev ignores this place lol

I wonder when this thread is going to pass 25 pages.  😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, edpatino said:

I'm very surprised this topic hasn't been closed already

It should be deleted.

I'm queasy about potential defamatory content in such a small community, especially when we know 85-95% of casual browsers will never find the short post on the second page saying the dev responded admirably and fixed all the issues and all's good now.

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wonder when this thread is going to pass 25 pages.  😉

Don't hold your breath!  Wonder why the developer has not responded to any of these posts! 🤔 

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: