Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Can't Launch the Sim

Posted (edited)

For the last day or two, I have been unable to run MSFS.  It just hangs at one of the opening screens.  For example, I have it running right now in another window, and it was stopping at the black screen.  But this time is sitting at "Checking for Updates," and it has been like that for a while.

Am I alone, or are others having trouble too?

Edited by andyjohnston.net

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Posted (edited)

Nope, just happened to me today. I got past the hanging screen by force-quitting the sim and running it as administrator.

Edited by eslader

1st for me, click start, fraction of second I see it start and thats it.  Found the execution file and has zero kb in it.

Trevor Golding

Same for me. Worked this morning and now will not start. Will try again in a few hours.

I had the same issue. 

Just leave it running with the circle Checking for Updates message. It clicks on. 

I struggled with it for a while today, rebooted and whatnot..  From what Ive seen this is a regular occurrence when a big update is imminent 

It took about 10 minutes of watching that screen and it just popped on. Hasnt happened again since.  

Same deal here, worked an hour ago, now spinning wheel checking for updates. Think I will just leave it running.

Matt Williams

This happened to me on Tuesday night.  For me there were pending windows updates that did not auto install.  Once I went to Windows update and found them and installed them everything worked right away.  Just to be sure I signed out of the XBox app and MS Store restarted and then signed back into both.  Haven't had a problem since.

Sim started after about 5 minutes. All appears normal now.

Matt Williams

In this instance, I usually  quit the sim with the task manager, then open office365 (so that it signs in with my user),

Then start the sim, choose safe mode, then restart the sim in normal mode.

The culprit might be the XBox app. Open it, close it, try again. If not 'repair the XBox' up via the Microsoft repair option, then try again.

At least the is what helped me recently.

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Hmmm, today I let it run while I went up for lunch, and when I came back it was still locked at the black screen.

I would try this. Close MSFS. Rightclick desktop and choose Display settings. Change the Scale setting (if it's on 125% change it to 100%). Change the Display resolution (if it's on the recommended resolution, then change it to something close but different). Boot up MSFS as far as it will get. Close MSFS. Now reset your changes in Windows Display Settings back to what they were and boot up MSFS again. Testing during all of these steps: Press the ALT-Enter keys together a few times while MSFS is running.

This may not relate to your problem. But this is a cure for this type of symptom in MSFS. As far as I know, only in MSFS. It's not a general cure for black screens in other programs.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

36 minutes ago, Fielder said:

This may not relate to your problem. But this is a cure for this type of symptom in MSFS. As far as I know, only in MSFS. It's not a general cure for black screens in other programs.

Oh when I say black screen, I mean it is the all black screen that appears after the  title card but before the "Checking for Updates."  So it's supposed to be there, except usually it goes by pretty quick.  Today the program is hitting that and just sits there.  It *is* the first screen where the Sim launches into full-screen mode.

i had that problem too today, and now the sim has started  but has lost all my settings!!!!!!   , anybody knows how to fix it?

thanks