Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

SP2 is Live!

Thanks Phil. We have been looking forward to SP2 for a long time now. I admit I am surprised that it is comprised of so many files, rather than a single installer. Is there any order for installation? Are all files necessary for DX9, if one does not run Vista?Oh, now I see, they are different languages...Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Noel,I think you're confused if I understand your question correcty. Each link is to different language variations. You should only need the "ENU" file for the English version.LOL, you edited your post while I was replying...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Those files are for the different languages. Pick the one that's appropriate for your system.Regards,Jim Karn

Congrats to Aces for getting this out for the holiday season. And a reminder to users of addons which modify the terrain.cfg (Vancouver+, Victoria+, Ultimate Terrain, Megascenery, VisualFlightUK, etc.): run your repair/configurator per the vendors instructions to restore your terrain.cfg after installing SP2.Some thoughts on SP2: http://jonpatch.wordpress.com/2007/12/14/notes-on-fsx-sp2/Jon

Perhaps I missed it, but I thought I should ask anyway before taking the plunge. Are there any special considerations/preparations one should keep in mind before installing SP2?When SP1 came out the advice from on high was to install over a fresh FSX installation. I didn't, but was careful to restore all the relevant default files before running the SP1 installer and I do seem to have got away with it as FSX runs pretty well. Things have moved on since then and for many of us much has changed with the installation of various heavyweight addons. I am aware of the terrain.cfg issue, but if the advice is to start again from scratch, then I'm afraid I am likely to pass on SP2 as the hassle for me will be just too much. There was a day when I wouldn't have minded the challenge and the investment of the time and effort, but suffice it to say that, with my current hardware, FSX with ASX, FEX, GEX, Ultimate Terrain FSX, etc, etc. while important to me, still remains my second sim to the highly customized FS9 which continues to reign supreme. Essentially, the question is: "Can everyone install SP2 over a modified FSX+SP1 and be assured that the sim will not be compromised?"Mike

Hi. Is there a simple explanation of what SP2 will and won't do to FSX? I don't have the Acceleration installed, and don't want it. Will SP2 destroy the backwards compatability of FS9 planes that now work in FSX with SP1? Are there any other features that will or won't work after installing SP2? Thanks, regards, Bob.

>Essentially, the question is: "Can everyone install SP2 over a>modified FSX+SP1 and be assured that the sim will not be>compromised?">>MikeThere are no guarantees. In theory, you can install over SP1 (you have to) without reinstalling FSX and all should be well (once you fix up terrain.cfg). This should work for most users. Once in a while stuff happens though and it doesn't work. It's a risk, and I'd suggest a small one. Look at one SP2 offers and see if it's worth it to you.Jon

Hi Jon,"Once in a while stuff happens though and it doesn't work. It's a risk, and I'd suggest a small one."To minimize the risk it would certainly be helpful if ACES could let us know what core files are being modified. That would at least allow us to make an educated decision as most of us who have been at this for a while will have a fair idea what files have already been modified by various 3rd party stuff. If these are not being touched by the SP2 installer then the choice is clear. If the changes are being applied only to the likes of dynamic link libraries and executables then the way ahead is also again clear.There must be many in my position who would like to know a bit more before risking wrecking their installation.I'm downloading SP2 as I type so my options still remain open ;)Cheers!Mike

Guest Desert Flyer

Okay I've had to reinstall Vista because something was borked in it that wouldn't let FSX install properly.So now I've got a fresh copy of FSX installed and havn't installed Acceleration expansion pack yet.Would I just install accelleration and not install SP2, or would I install SP2 then install Accelleration?Or would I have to download SP1, then install SP1, then SP2 then Accelleration?What is the proper order?Thanks,