Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Sooooo, what do we do now?

Geoff,1) My TrackIR is working fine2) My CH products and MS joystick are working perfectly as well3) I don't remember a single driver that wasn't recognized by Vista 64 (even my old cell phone and my paleontological printer!)4) I would say smooth sailing with the 4 Gb, the nightmare is already behind you. I first installed the 32 version and can tell you that there is a great difference performance wise with the 64.When Vista was released there was a few problems with Creative and Saitek drivers for 64 bits.Today they are really OK.So.... :--))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

:-lol Well I won't come back to the forum until you finish with your install, I prize my life!! :--))))))))))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Not respected - LOL !!I own 5 of the DF fleet, and the quality of product has always been top notch as is the service. Just please don't forget about your classic iron while your shooting at that now standing target !! Since FSX leaves so little room for the heavy's, I think a few classic irons redux to SP2 (727/737-how about a 200 though) would be a great hit.Regards'Garett

Ok, I'm ready to share it with you, provided that you feed it as well.I am already looking for a GPS for its Xmas present, this poor one is a bit tired to go round in circles continuously.Just add this line to your signature:hxxp://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4590/bestiolnv6pr9gi5.gif(replace xx by tt)Good luck for your 64 install.I am off for a couple of days so don't hesitate to PM me if I can be useful

Best regards,
David Roch

As always, great post Mike...Sadly for me, I have all but given up on FSX. I admit I was one of it's biggest a really excited user/boosters/supporters during its inception and upon release sang it's praises at every opportunity, despite some small niggles I was having at the time.Now some 12 months later I am all FSX'd out. I can no longer accept the frustration of continual CDT's, inability to switch between apps from outside an FSX window to an FSX window or full screen and a myriad of other errors such as oom's.Upon release in the US and the subsequent furore in the various forums about the inability of FSX to run adequately on the so called middle of the road machines of the day, I went out and spent a lot of money on what was at the time a pretty powerful machine. Although FSX runs at a decent 30 - 35 FPS average on my setup when running, I am finding the other issues mentioned above too great a source of frustration that I have for the first time since 1985, decided to spend my spare time doing something else.I truely hope that ACES and the developer community gets their collective heads together and delivers a killer version for FS11. I can't go back to FS2004 as I have tasted the forbidden fruit of the potential of FSX. The comparitively blurry FS9 ground textures etc. just does not do it for me anymore.I will be lurking around there anyway, looking for some magic bullet that will hopefully bring me back to my favourite hobby.Cheers and thanks,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBCH Throttle Quadrant USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track ClipMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Jim, or someone who gets it, what do you mean by "default latency"? I know what the words mean of course, but what does this mean in terms of FS and the feeling you get in the sim?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I just bought the Baron 58 for FS9, and will most likely get the Dakota once the turbo version is available for DL. I'm still waiting for my Airbus though ;)

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Well, FWIW, a couple of weeks ago I finally decided it was time to delete FS9 (and all its associated add-ons...yeah, that was a bit painful in some cases) from my system...FS9 and FSX had been living side-by-side from FSX release, but I found I really never went back to FS9 even though FPS were so much better...So, as a number of key add-ons were being re-released for FSX, I decided to finally go ahead and reclaim the space that FS9 was taking up.We've been there before in the past, but I guess FSX is the most controversial FS release so far...but, I for one am not looking back any more ( which, come to think of it, is kind of unusual for me I have to say ;-) ).

Guest fsxmissionguy

Well, I may not be one of:"the most trusted, respected and admired giants of the FS 3rd party development community"but ... (hahahaha) my experience with FSX has been totally, 100% the reverse of your's Chris.I waited, and waited, and waited to buy and install FSX, because I wasn't sure my hardware could handle it - having been a lurker on AVSIM for over 2 years and watching the initial complaints. Once I finally installed it, I was disappointed with the performance (just like everyone else was).So, I upgraded a few components ... which didn't help much. Frankly, had it not been for SP1, I would have concluded that FSX was unplayable and just waited for the next version. Post SP1, I haven't looked back and have had thousands of hours of enjoyment in this version of FSX.I'm not a "right-slider" primarily because pushing the sliders to the right, for me, results in something that doesn't look realistic.I've never had a single CTD ... probably because I don't live in Nvidia's bleeding edge crashworld (cough8800cough). Nvidia (and HP) will be the downfall of Microsoft if the boys in Redmond don't get their schtick together and reign in these two companies.Smartly, in retrospect, I stayed away from Vista and DX10, because neither of these two technologies is ready for prime time. I have a corporate background as a network administrator, so had ample time to test those technologies at work and kept them off my home machine.Post SP1, I was pleased enough to set out to determine FSX's suitability as a machinma environment. For the first time in the history of the franchise, I believed it was now possible to create movies you could fly in. Again, I was worried my hardware couldn't handle it ... but I was for the most part wrong.Post SP1, it was possible to create mission/movies and so I set out audaciously to produce the Palm 90 mission to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the crash of Air Florida Flight 90.I had never produced any add-on for Flight Simulator before, so I had a lot of learning to do. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that a total neophyte such as myself could - with a little imagination - produce something others would find enjoyable.For the most part, I was happy with the result, and the mission was well received by the community.It wasn't perfect. I would have liked the ability to insert .wmv cutscenes to eliminate texture loading issues (and I found out later that this feature was considered by ACES). Adding this functionality would fully enable machinima on the FSX platform, and I hope ACES understands what is made possible by adding this feature.I think my experience has also been good because I paid attention to what was going on in the larger development community - with some developers selling what were for all intents and purposes FS9 aircraft. I bid my time in other areas of the simulator waiting for true FSX-developed aircraft addons and shied away from the developers with less-than-stellar reputations.Result: I have a 2 1/2 year old Dell that can handle FSX just fine at my slider preferences. I routinely get 20+ frames pretty much wherever I fly, which frankly, is all that is necessary to fly an aircraft in this simulation. The software works just fine for me.I've recently (result of beta testing) reinstalled my FSX system, and have found myself going back and reflying all of the excellent missions that Paul Lange and his team designed in the RTM.I'm having a ball.Couple of days ago, I cranked up FS9. Then X-plane. Just to remind myself what the old days were like.Then I uninstalled them.Having spent some time developing for the platform, I don't envy the task of the "real developers." They have a lot of hard work ahead of them. Some of them won't be able to cut it. Most of them will.The comments left by the excellent ones (you know who you are) leave me encouraged by what will be coming in the next few months and years.So ... thanks ACES. With FSX, despite the bumps in the road, you re-energized my excitement with flight simulation. And I look forward to the next version.Cheers,Kevin D. Greene

Well said Mike T. Your question, what do we do now? The short answer is "suck it in" just like we have in the past by upgrading hardware on routine bases, continue to work with fine folks like HiFi, RealAir, Flight1, and others to make it work or improve. And have lots of money!I have been a fan of flight sim since Com 64 days (1985). Please don't ask how much money I have thrown at this need to PC fly - don't have a glue but it has been a bunch. At present my system has both FS9 & FSX and I use both. And I am happy with both.Regarding FSX, I am very happy when I built the latest Flt Sim computer last year that I elected to not go the Vista/DX10 route although I left the door open. From what I have read about Vista and DX10, I am very disappointed. I'm somewhat surprised at myself because I normally go all out - 100% for Latest/Greatest.Mike T., some may agree with you and some may not but I think we all have to agree that there is some truth to the fact that FSX has been a problem child since day one and continues to be a challenge.Take care, erv/KSDFIntel Core 2 X6800(3.22), P5W Deluxe, Coolmax 650W, Corsair DII800 4G, two 74G/WD 10,000 drives, ASUS 1900XT/512 Card, CoolMaster TAC-T01, Creative Sound Card, USB Logitech 350 Headset with Mic, Samsung 22

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Well said (written) Mike. I think you speak for many. A few months ago I suggested FSX is not a flight sim. It is a game for techies to challenge their abilities. I am not a techie. All I ask is for FSX to work without CTD's and holes in graphics etc. Maybe it will someday. But now, as you suggest, FSX is a mess for us flight sim junkies and those who support our passion.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

I have both. FS9 and FSX. I use neither... Well..I use FSX mostly...but I tend to do quick eye candy flights in the same usual areas. Princes Juliana, Hawaii, So Cal (thanks to Megascenery)... while constantly trying to get something fixed.When I use FSX and I don't get stutters or blurries, I love it..Love Love it! Its spectacular. It's lack of good scenery add on vendors thats frustrating.I also spend more time cruising the forums like a lost dude reading about the upcoming addons that would make FSX look better that would solve all my problems....and searching for good scenery addons with photo/custom runway textures....begging and cursing Fly Tampa and Flight scenery to have a heart and come back and do something!MannyPS: Its interesting to note that what is not being mentioned. The FSX only features like Multiplayer and Missions. Maybe there is a different group out there are having a good time with those.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I do like FSX, however it came with many more problems than FS9.As of now I feel that I have wasted all monies spent on FSX and the few add-ons that I have purchased. Add-on aircraft specifically designed for FSX are rare, and what few are around, have problems.I can't see spending money on add-on aircraft that are just fixed up a bit to work in FSX. I did purchase four GA add-ons. One is a fix-me-up, another gets the frame rate of a TRS-80, and the other two work very well and I enjoy using them.I do have two other products that I like a lot, FSGenesis (mesh and landclass) and GEX.I guess ACES must have developed a system that really hinders the development of add-on products.The release of SP1 made a huge difference in performance for my current computer which runs FSX very well. I didn't install the Accelerator/SP2 package. Now the question is should I try the SP2 release?