Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FSX SDK Tools

I contacted Microsoft about "Tools" not appearing on the menu bar after verifying that the dll.xml file was in place with the appropriate "false" statements. After they verified online that my files were correct, it was determined that my FSX installation must be corrupted, and the fix was to completely remove FSX and reinstall.The removal and reinstallation of FSX and the SDK was accomplished and the "Tools" item then appeared on the menu bar. After installing SP1 and SP1A, the tools continued to function properly. Upon installing SP2, "Tools" disappeared from the menu bar.I have sent a message to Microsoft and await further instructions. Has anyone else had this problem after installing SP2?ArtNow flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium

Art

Did you happen to install the FSX SP2 SDK Update? If you did not, it will not be available on the "Tools" menu. As the other SDK is not compatible with SP2.

I'm not aware of a SDK SP2 update...can't find it at the Microsoft download center for Flight Simulator.ArtNow flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium

Art

>I'm not aware of a SDK SP2 update...can't find it at the>Microsoft download center for Flight Simulator.>>Art>>Now flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB>RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2),>Vista Home PremiumA Google search for "FSX SDK SP2 update": http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...-SP2Update.aspx

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest Bud

Hello ArtGlad I saw your post. The situation seems crazy so far as SimConnect is concerned. I'm in the middle of a reinstall of FSX following a disaster and have hit the same problem you mention.I'm gonna try this new download see if it helps with SP2. This causes a lot of frustration, well it does for me. I would love to see somewhere some definitive instructions on how to go about reinstalling concentrating on this issue.Bud

Guest Bud

PhilThank you. Let me tell you of my current experience. I've been running FSX with SP1 for some time on WinXP Home. I use a number of applications on a remote computer and the SimConnect process has always worked well. I then made the ill-advised decision to try SP2. Installation problems eventually led to my having to reinstall FSX. This went quite smoothly until it became clear that there was a problem with the external applications connecting to FS. I then recalled that my original FSX installed a faulty .dll and a repair process was required to put that right. OK, I uninstalled everything, re-booted, defragged, made strong coffee and started again. I thought it best that I get the SimConnect situation sorted before installing SP1 and SP2. This is where the frustration really set in. Firstly I wanted just the Traffic Toolbox to show on the menu bar. It will not do so. I've checked and re-checked. The SimConnect.dll is correct and in its correct location in Win SxS; the .dll file is correctly located in Application data and the wording, etc is checked. To be sure, I even copied in the .dll file I used previously and which I know worked. Still can't get the Toolbox up. I then tried a fresh install of FSUIPC. This did not show up either - the correct insertion was made in the .dll, and the usual query box relating to running the software and Trusted status came up during start up, but again, nothing.I'm now on the verge of giving up - unless some kind soul can lend a hand.Bud

Thanks guys. The SDK SP2 update did the trick. I can't believe the "Microsoft Games Escalation Team" (technical support) couldn't give me the right advice. After they uninstalled FSX from my computer and left me high and dry, they sent the following message."I hope that you were happy with the service we provided to you.At this time, I am closing your case as Resolved. Thank you for contributing to Microsoft's success!"Frankly, I don't think Microsoft would have any success without you guys in the forums.

Art

Can't help, but I assume what you are calling ".dll" file is actually dll.xml file?scott s..

Guest Bud

Yep, that's the one. I'm having one more go at this, if it doesn't work this time I think that may be me finished with FSBud

Guest Bud

Bit of a follow up. I did restart the whole reinstall process once again. I followed exactly the same process as the last time - I even used some of the same files. This time all seems to have worked. I've got the bits and bobs up in the menu bar and my external applications appear to work via SimConnect. SP 1 is reinstalled and I'm now having a serious debate with myself as to whether to go on and install SP2, which is what started the debacle in the first place.I should be pleased, in fact over the moon, but what I am, actually, is confused. I cannot comprehend why the process worked this time when exactly the same process previously did not work - twice.Bud

I had the same problem with the Tools menu not showing up. I thought perhaps it was because I had installed FSX in a different directory than the default, so I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled it to the default directory, added SP1 & SP2 along with the corresponding SDK upgrades, made the necessary changes to the dll.xml file and fired up the game. The Tools option now showed in the menu! I don't know if it was the reinstall or the change to the default directory that made the difference.

It was most assuredly the re-install.I have never installed any version to the default pathways...The overly long paths used by the default are a major PITA, and having FSX under the "Program Files" folder in Vista is just asking for trouble... :)Instead, I use:D:FS9D:FS9_SDKD:FSXD:FSX_SDK

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator