Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

If you are NOT playing around with DX10 Preview...GET RID OF...

>Nick..I have all that.>>Did all that.>>The only thing I haven't done is defrag. You mean to tell me>that I have to O and O again? This is worse than thinking>about getting married a second time (as the first acted like a>financial-eating-of-prunes fest, it cleans you right>out!)....ah lawd.....gasp...>>Mitch (not flying and enjoying right now) R.Yup, once you uninstall, when it is reinstalled, it doesn't necessarily go back on the same portion of the disk it was before, and some, a lot or all of it could reinstall fragmented.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Nick_N

Yes siryour disk is an unholy mess againevery time you add a major addon like UTX you MUST rerun the defragsevery timeand a full install is going to TRASH the hard drive, completelynow, thats not including something small, like a plane.. but even then you STILL need to defrag with a SPACE defrag till the end of the month (or two) where you do the FULL defrags againLearn it, Live itMost people who claim FSX does not work right is because of THEIR own ERRORS and limits of understanding a computer. Although there are issues such as texture problems on older aircraft, etc, ... my avatar from SimV says it all"There is nothing wrong with FSX, the problem is you or your system"LOL!

>and a full install is going to TRASH the hard drive,>completely>My last install of FSX and Acceleration onto a bare drive showed a 35% fragmentation. Nothing else, no UT/X, GEX, ASX or any other type of X, just a new install of FSX and 35%. The defragger loves me when that happens!:-lol

>What the heck..I'm doing it now. I just deleted my FSX>installation via Disk 1 of FSX Pro.>>That's where I am now..and will report back after a full>install, and after adding all my stuff.>>I will HONESTLY report any improvements (I eat crow>**willingly**, if proved wrong!) OR..I will also honestly>report no improvements, or side-effects if any as they were>there, pre-clean-install.>>Who knows how long this is gonna take...sheesh...>>Later,>>Mitch----------------------------------------No matter what I have done in the last hour and a half, I can no longer get UTX and its land and water class to give me what I had before...a beautiful sea and land. I have tropical light blue colors now at Myrtle Beach that should not be there, nor was there before I messed around with installing SP2 'by the book'. This has got to be the worst thing that I have done, and now will simply right off my FSX installation and remove it from the hard drive with all files and folders. I will then tonight try once more to install it clean, and then with only going as far as SP1. I have already uninstalled GEXn, UTX USA AND Can once tonight and have then reinstalled through the Flight1 wrapper. I don't know how many times you can do that before the key craps out on me as well. I guess that I am going to find that out, too. Totally bummed out...and have hours of work ahead of me, just to (pray) that I can get my SP1 FSX back the way it was. Like I said, this has cost me..and will not be repeated.Goodnight, all.Mitch

Guest DALTech_Ops

Where do they find the time.......... LOL

>RULE#1 DONT FLY OFF THE HANDLE UNTIL YOU FOLLOW THE LISTS, ALL>OF THEM>>RULE#2 ALWAYS KEEP A COPY OF THE FSX.CFG FILE SO YOU CAN>VISUALLY COMPARE TWEAKS BEFORE ASSUMING A BAD INSTALL>>RULE#3: ALWAYS WRITE DOWN YOUR SLIDER, CHECK BOX, UTX AND>OTHER ADDON SETTINGS BEFORE CLEAN INSTALLINGGreat set of rules. If I may, I'd add this one as well... ;)RULE#4: Always fully performance tune FSX before adding any third-party addons.Mitch, I have to say that you give the appearance of being way too impatient. To properly install and tune will take days, not a few mere hours......however, once done; it's done. I've installed FSX + SP1 + SP2 once, tuned it to get the best I can get from this machine, and now simply do the requisite maintenance on it.As a developer, I'm constantly adding to and subtracting from my base install, but I'm very careful not to do anything destructive to the system... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N

Goodnight MitchPlease take your time and realize on a clean install there can be settings you may have forgotten about.. UTX does have water overlay files/setting and may need to be adjusted. I use FEX to assure my water color is always what I want based on t theme and it does require the 'blue-clear' UTX water overlay to produce what I like. Unless there is something in your drivers SP2 does not like i cant see how the water went from one type/color to another such as tropical by simply installing SP2. It does not make sense.tomorrow is another day

Well my friend, sorry to say but DX10 preview with a compatable DXt10 card, does improve performance.I get around 20 to 30% performance increase with it turned on.It does have issus, but I put most if not all of them down to Nvida Drivers and Vista itself!Which hopefully Vista Sp1 will do something about.

Guest UlfB

Mitch,I'd recommend not to use the Carenado FS9 Mooney MJ2 in FSX. Have you tried the FSX version?Ulf B

The FSX version is GREAT! My default FSX Mooney may never fly again!

Jim Wenham

Bill...I wasn't talking about mere hours...I spent 8 hours upon it. Straight. I had the time resource. My 'one day' could be some other's week.Mitch

>Well my friend, sorry to say but DX10 preview with a>compatable DXt10 card, does improve performance.>>I get around 20 to 30% performance increase with it turned>on.>>It does have issus, but I put most if not all of them down to>Nvida Drivers and Vista itself!>>>Which hopefully Vista Sp1 will do something about.>Not an entirely true statement. Maybe in your case you have a performance increase. In my case as well as many others DX10 preview causes a 20-40% performance decrease compared to DX9C with all slider settings being exactly the same.Just cause you have the hardware to run in DX10 preview there is no guarantee what so ever that you will have a performance increase.

Ok, I think I got it. I found the post by Nick and went through it - the only difference I found was to set nHancer to single core, application and global. I did that and SP2 now seems to work in full screen when I select menu items. I did an entire flight with RC4 flying the FSD Navajo (fsx version) and had no crashes or freeze-ups.Frame rates appear to be the same, I can hold 20 fps or better at KCVG. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I doubt if I ever would have solved this on my own.Dale

Dale

Unless there is something in your drivers SP2 does not like i cant see how the water went from one type/color to another such as tropical by simply installing SP2. It does not make sense.----------------------------Oh it did, Nick! If you fly off of Myrtle Beach's R18, and at about 1,500 feet, if you look out at your 10-11 o'clock position you will see a big triangle of shallow/tropical water surrounded by deeper blue water. When I had my SP1 tuned like a top, that was shaded a little lighter than the deeper ocean blue tint. It looked so real!Right now, I have SP1 back up and running and am putting the finishing tune to 'er. Then an O and O Complete/Name is in order.I grabbed what I needed from my C: backup that I did on Feb 22/08. The shooting in the foot comment is not that I could not get it back, it was that I should have stopped fiddling where I was---having a great sim experience, and not taking up that SP2 fresh install challenge. That is the lesson I have learnt. If it suits you (your sim configuration and performance)...STOP looking over at the neighbor's yard, at their lawn, and rubbing your chin....lol.Enjoy the evening...Mitch