Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

If you are NOT playing around with DX10 Preview...GET RID OF...

Manually delete any leftover FSX stuff. The uninstall wont get rid of it all. Forget the coffee, break out the Jack!

Jim Wenham

Hi,I am using nHancer and I checked that my profile settings are the same as my global settings, but still got freeze-ups.Where do I find windows tune up? I'm running windows xp home w/sp2 and all updates with default settings. I just built this system 2 months ago and the only game/simulation I run is FS9 and FSX.Who is Nick and where do I find his recommendations for nHancer?Thanks for your help,Dale

Dale

Where I had a beautiful-running sim, with frame rates of a steady 18-22 FPS, smooth animation, great and clear ground textures......that was before I installed SP2 by the following methodology:1. By the original FSX-Pro 1 disk, REMOVED FSX.2. Cleaned out anything that was left. (what a fool I was!)3. Reinstalled FSX-stock4. Ran FSX, then shut down5. Ran SP1, ran FSX, shut down6. Ran SP2, ran FSX, shut down7. Installed custom aircraft, installed GEXnhanced, installed UTX-USA and Canada, and ran VCRAIN and UTX update patch for water effects and Landclass.Ran FSX..and found it to be cut in half in performance. Junk! Where I raved about GEXnhanced textures and UTX...from what I see now, I wouldn't have touched them! I have gone into the toilet in general frame rates by about half. In my Myrtle Beach (all the same apples-to-apples settings and UNTOUCHED from pre-remove and install) scenario, I now have 7-10 FPS in the cockpit, absolutely LOUSY looking ground textures and blurry with slow to come into focus, and the color of the ocean absolutely SUCKS..with those different block hues that I had when SP2 was installed PRE remove and install of FSX.I shot myself in the foot, big time..and now have to try and figure out how to reverse the damage to what I had as a wonderful FSX simulation.I will ABSOLUTELY STAND, by my original post that for a single core P4 system---STAY THE H*LL AWAY FROM SP2. I now only hope that I can get my sim back to where it was..after getting rid of SP2 as soon as I post this. D*** it! I should have left well-enough alone. I have learnt a hard lesson....Mitch

To be honest.....Once I get FSX up and running again, some year, on my mid-grade CPU; I might not even install SP-1. I liked it the way it was!In the meantime, I'm stuck with FS9, some good planes; but just use Flight Scenery Portland, Glacier Bay, and a few other sceneries. I just can't stand my home town default mountainous country (KSLC) compared to FSX! My FSX aircraft are better too!L.Adamson

When you say you cleared your remaining FSX out, (One you should have backed up your addon scenery and aircraft, gauges so you didn't lose them.) did you also clear out the configuration files in the documents folder, to allow FSX to rebuild a new FSX.cfg file on reinstall? If not remove it now, then restart FSX, remember to manually add any tweak statements you had before. Then hopefully you should at least be back to normal. Geof is right, you probably won't see a improvement with a older system, but you shouldn't have gotten that much of a loss.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Nils79

Are you really running the same settings? I can't believe that.What are your exact FSX settings? What FSX.cfg tweaks do you use and did you configure UTX exactly like before?

Mitch, I really do feel your pain!If you have been following that other thread you will know I came within a cat's whisker of having to start again from scratch. BACKUPS are the key to preserving your sanity and keep them reasonably current. My backup of C: taken a week before it was corrupted by the O&O / old XP SP2 combo turned out to be a godsend.I do have to say, however, that your assessment of FSX+SP2 is a bit OTT. I hummed and hawed about installing it, but did in the end and the sim's performance improved significantly for me. In particular, the blurries are now virtually a thing of the past just as long as I curb my enthusiasm for flying too fast and too low.Never do anything in haste for inevitably the time will come when you will live to regret it.RegardsMike

Probably need to run a defrag to clean things up. FSX installs exreemly fragmented. I agree about letting the sim rebuild the config then add back any tweeks you had. Sorry about all the trouble your having. FSX is like having children, at times they can be a pain in the @#$ but in the end you always end up loving again. Stick with it. Maybe old Nick can come forth and give some advise. I know he has a post somewhere about how to re-install.

Jim Wenham

'1. By the original FSX-Pro 1 disk, REMOVED FSX'What?Why do you need the disk to remove FSX?

Guest Nick_N

MitchDid you rerun ALL THE TUNE UP DEFRAG PASSES AGAIN?EVERY ONE OF THEM, by the LETTERIf not.. get busyYou must completely redo all the defrag runs.. I cant see how you could have done that... all that thrashing is going to take some hours to fix in O&ORULE#1 DONT FLY OFF THE HANDLE UNTIL YOU FOLLOW THE LISTS, ALL OF THEMRULE#2 ALWAYS KEEP A COPY OF THE FSX.CFG FILE SO YOU CAN VISUALLY COMPARE TWEAKS BEFORE ASSUMING A BAD INSTALLRULE#3: ALWAYS WRITE DOWN YOUR SLIDER, CHECK BOX, UTX AND OTHER ADDON SETTINGS BEFORE CLEAN INSTALLINGLOL!:)

>Are you really running the same settings? I can't believe>that.>What are your exact FSX settings? What FSX.cfg tweaks do you>use and did you configure UTX exactly like before?>-------------------ABSOLUTELY..right down to Myrtle Beach R36.I'm right now in the process of damage control....and will post if I get it back to the way it was...which was in hindsight---PERFECT!:(Mitch

Hello Mike!I do have backups...and will use them. It is just a pain that I have to to a C: retrieval for FSX. A pain..but I can do that.On my system---SP1 gives me what SP2 is giving you.I could have been enjoying myself the last 3 hours instead of pulling out my hair...:(Oh well..you are NEVER a fool to make any kind of mistake. You're only a fool if you go and repeat one of 'em....I live by that statement...lol.Mitch

I played it 'kosher' right down to the wire. I used the REMOVE from the Disk one install disk...just to give me that best possible outcome. Yeah...RIGHT! Mitch

Nick..I have all that.Did all that.The only thing I haven't done is defrag. You mean to tell me that I have to O and O again? This is worse than thinking about getting married a second time (as the first acted like a financial-eating-of-prunes fest, it cleans you right out!)....ah lawd.....gasp...Mitch (not flying and enjoying right now) R.