Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest southie4

How to suspend time for flying at Sunset/Sunrise in FSX...

Folks,Has anyone come across any software/utility that enables FSX time (as opposed to the PC time) to be suspended so that it would be possible to fly at Sunset or Sunrise for an indefinite period of time?The colours and atmosphere are always tremendous at those times.Many thanks.Paul

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Paul,I'm not an expert on the FSX .cfg file ... but there's an entry in there that looks like this:[sIM]SYSCLOCK=1I bet if you change that value to 0 ... you would stop time. Why not try it and report back.Cheers,

>SYSCLOCK=1>>I bet if you change that value to 0 ... you would stop time.>Why not try it and report back.Kev,Thank you very much for your suggestion. I just modifying the fsx.cfg file as you suggested but unfortunately time still advances (verified by going to the 'World' menu option then 'Time & Season' and the Aircraft clock).Paul

Hi Paul,An unusual request to say the least. You can't stop FS time but you can slow it down. Use the time acceleration option and select something slower than x1. The sunset won't last forever but will last a lot longer.

>Paul,>>I'm not an expert on the FSX .cfg file ... but there's an>entry in there that looks like this:>>[sIM]>SYSCLOCK=1>>I bet if you change that value to 0 ... you would stop time.>Why not try it and report back.>>Cheers,No this setting doesn't stop time, what it does, is tell whether the sim should start in actual time of day for the time zone your in, (SYSCLOCK=1) or the time when the scenario was saved, (SYSCLOCK=0) sort of like when you load a saved flight. Also stopping time would cause other problems if say you used AI, since AI is scheduled by time, it wouldn't work properly, if at all. If you want try an Artic circle route. I flew a late afternoon San Francisco to Heathrow flight last month, taking the Artic route and never saw complete darkness.

I grab screenshots, and will soon start recording. Then you can watch it all over again!Have Fun,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA-3GB/S HDWindows XP SP2 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

I see you got O-Level Maths! :-lolI didn't have my FSX machine running so had to guess the options available.

>An unusual request to say the least. You can't stop FS time>but you can slow it down. Use the time acceleration option and>select something slower than x1. The sunset won't last forever>but will last a lot longer.Won't this also slow down your airplane?

Won't this also slow down your airplane? Yes it will but there's no alternative to seeing the sunset for longer.

Well, that's not entirely true.You could get in an SR-71 and head West. Flown at a high enough altitude and latitude, the sun would never set.Cheers,

Yes, that would work. Concorde could beat the sun and would land in New York one hour later than departing London travelling at Mach 2.02. I'd guess that M1.75 at FL520 should leave the sun stationary.Something tells me the OP probably isn't going to go to that extreme for what is a pretty strange requirement in the first place.

Well, to be honest i don't find it a strange request. Sunup en sundown are the most beautifull times in FSX, i sometimes wish they last longer too.

Personally I find sunrise / sunset to be most unrealistic with stars visible when the sun is still above the horizon. Hopefully ACES will finlly sort this out with FSXI.As for flying with time stood still all I can say is each to their own.

The obvious and simple solution is to fly the flight again. You only have to click on the reset flight button after landing.:-)

>>As for flying with time stood still all I can say is each to>their own.Time stand still --Im not looking backBut I want to look around me nowSee more of the peopleAnd the places that surround me nowRhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

>Well, to be honest i don't find it a strange request. Sunup>en sundown are the most beautifull times in FSX, i sometimes>wish they last longer too.Eric,That is precisely right mate, and I was hoping there may be something available to do this. Anyway, thanks to all who responded. Perhaps a developer somewhere may see a need for such an option one day as I am sure there are others who enjoy the Sunset/Sunrise flying as well.Paul

Paul,My final post on this subject. As the summer solstice has just passed you should be able to enjoy extended sunsets just south of the Arctic Circle where the sun barely makes it below the horizon.So set your FS date to late June, setup a flight at an airport around 60N - 64N and enjoy the views.

This might be achieved by using FS Real Time??You could start FS real Time and the flight sim and say after 15 minutes in flight set a negative offset of -15 minutes which should reset the time to 15 minutes earlier ie the time when you started. You may be able to keep repeating this every 15 minutes bringing the time back to the time that you started and you would only be 15 minutes in front at any one time. Not elegant but it might work?I'm not sure if you can keep flying whilst setting a new offset!!Is it worth investigating as it is free?Peter Hayes(No pound pom)

>Personally I find sunrise / sunset to be most unrealistic>with stars visible when the sun is still above the horizon.>Hopefully ACES will finlly sort this out with FSXI.>>As for flying with time stood still all I can say is each to>their own.One thing I wish they do in the next version, is provide the ability for the sun to change colors on sunrise/sunset. Having a sunset with that burnt orange glow would really make them look more realistic!

I could write a small utility for you if you wanted that rewrites the current time via fsuipcie if time was 8:40pm and you wanted it kept at that then once a minute the app would write 8:40pm to fs. You wouldn't notice anything either as if you were to suddenly jump half an hour or so ahead then fs would 'reload' but a few minutes here and there don't cause a reloadLet me know anyway, may write one anyway as thats a good idea!Gray

>I could write a small utility for you if you wanted that>rewrites the current time via fsuipc>Gray,It would be great if you can do that and then upload that Utility to the Avsim File library for anyone to use!Paul

>>Well, to be honest i don't find it a strange request. Sunup>>en sundown are the most beautifull times in FSX, i sometimes>>wish they last longer too.>>Eric,>>That is precisely right mate, and I was hoping there may be>something available to do this. I agree as well, that is not such a strange request at all. Some of the most visually stunning skies are around sunset, and seems to go by too quickly (naturally). It would be great if there were some way to extend this beautiful time of day a bit longer.Thanks to Gray writing this utility, we will be able to enjoy just that! :-)