Whilst I love Flight's UI map-based concept,
and admire its stylised representation,
I'd always found its implementation,
lacking sufficient useable detail,
and on occasion, downright misleading.

Guessing from some screenies,
the flurry of FTK v1.0.17 'profile issue' posts,
utterly swamped recognition & appreciation
of Steve's incorporated World Region UI addon.

I've no idea whether people are actively using it,
so just as a head's up
using Air1's location pic as a comparison example -

lTkllCj.jpg

mJ7jLbv.png

It displays the terrain topography and some vector data from Flight's native files.

I'd mainly been flying in windowed mode, (small),

since installing I've started using full-screen mode again.

Nice work Steve.   :good:

ATB
Paul

I'm using the latest version 1.0.023.5  and don't have that map nor do I have World-World.

Any info on how to get/activate this?  Looks real good.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

It comes in the World Region addon, available at FSDeveloper. Note that you must have the non-GFWL version of the Flight Toolkit (i.e. no multiplayer) in order for it to work.

Hi Folks

Rick -

My apologies, I guess I'd cited the wrong version.

Thought I'd had it earlier that 1.0.23.

Should be present in latest version.

Definitely makes the map magnitudes more usefull.

EDIT -

Cheers for the link Orion.

Sorry Rick,

I'd thought it was incorporated in the FTK installer.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Thanks guys for the info.  I'll d/l the proper file and take a look.  I am running the Non-GFWL version.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

The map uses stuff built into Flight.  Originally we were going to ship with this map but it was deemed to not match the rest of the visuals of the UI and was too slow to load on some lower end machines..  Unfortunately some of it was disabled in the production version so I had to reimplement it, and GFWL has security checks to prevent modification of the executable code, which is why it only works in non-GFWL.  I can actually add it so it shows up in the list of downloadable addons in Addon Manager.  I'll add that to the list of stuff to look at when I get a chance :)

Thanks for calling it out Paul.

Also Steve, I noticed another tool you mentioned in FSD: "FlightAssetLocator".  

Could this be used to find all the airports in Flight for instance?

I took a quick pass at running it but got no result. 

I think that is Orion's tool, but no it won't find airports.  Airports are part of bgl files which are not considered assets in Flight.

Yep, that's mine, and Steve is correct. There is a third party website, FSXDB, that has an searchable index of both default and selected Orbx airports from FSX.

Just curious, what was your criteria for an airport to be important? Was there some data source of airport traffic that you used?

I was planning on doing that at some point. If you share the XML I can update the add on with it.

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/view/088xa5n6w419hb5/WorldRegionData.xml

Just curious, what was your criteria for an airport to be important? Was there some data source of airport traffic that you used?

First I used a list of the busiest airports around the world in terms of passengers. Obviously, entire continents were still empty then so I used lists of the busiest airports specific to these continents. I always made sure not to choose airports directly next to each other in order to make the map look not too chaotic. In the end I simply handpicked the biggest airports of these areas that were still empty.

It's not exactly a scientific method, but I think the map should represent the bush flying nature of Flight.

Thanks.  I updated the addon with your changes, and also added the World Region UI to the available addon list so it shows up in the Addon Manager automatically now.