Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

New Build for P3D V3.2- March 2016

Not emotionally charged for me really. Just experiencing incredulity.

Martin.... how 'bout you build that computer you've been talking about for some months and let us know how it works... really works, as in some valuable perf numbers... then maybe we'll have some stock in all the advice you give... some folks have grown weary of all the advice from people who haven't been there and done that...

Greg

What!

At 58 and after building and modifying more PC's than I can remember, and after being a moderator on another forum for 10 years, and 2,969 posts on Avsim since 2006, I have... "been there and done that".

However, I have never claimed to be an expert, so feel free to ignore everything I say. I only post my opinion's and choices, feel free to reject them.

I see in another post you tell us you have built no less than "three 6700K systems"! In which case I would imagine it's you that should be posting "valuable perf numbers". Then maybe we will, as you put it, "have some stock" in your advice.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/485931-intel-core-i7-4790k-or-i7-6700k/

Your post is also out of context. The direction this topic went was in regard to denying something that has been regarded as fact since CPU's have existed. Nothing to do with "advice".

Not sure why you posted that, the contributors have moved on! All you've done is fire up a somewhat heated and controversial debate that had ended. 

Well, migrating Win7 to my new Skylake build wasn't an easy task by any means, but I'm happy to report that it runs very comfortably at 4.5GHz and 1.270v, and my DDR4 is sitting at 3200MHz on the XMP profile.  The ROG motherboard is just so great for overclocking.  And the Samsung 950 Pro SSD is an absolute monster.

I bought the Intel replacement plan at the same time as the CPU, I'll let it settle at 4.5 for a couple of weeks, and then I'll really push it.

sig01.png

Great news. I'll look forward to seeing how you get on when you push it further.

Well, migrating Win7 to my new Skylake build wasn't an easy task by any means, but I'm happy to report that it runs very comfortably at 4.5GHz and 1.270v, and my DDR4 is sitting at 3200MHz on the XMP profile.

Is there some issue with using Windows 7 with Skylake.  I'm getting ready to do a build and was planning on using Windows 7 because it has seemed to get along well with the sims we are currently using.

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I haven't built my Skylake rig yet, refurbishing a couple of bedrooms so nowhere to put it, but have W10 in standby.

For W7 and Skylake, I recall that the Z170 chip set dropped support for EHCI which W7 requires. 

Thus W7 installation on Skylake is a bit more complex.

Others who have installed W7 on Skylake will fill you in on the details... or Google of course.

Thanks, Martin.  I wasn't counting on that issue.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Well,  I'm curious how it might affect things in the relative near-future.  It seems like, from what I've read, that future USB hardware not working may be the issue. This comes just right when I thought I had everything settled for my upgrade.  Figures.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

As long as you install from a DVD and not a USB drive, you'll be fine.  As for me, I had a lot of trouble because I decided that I would migrate my current W7 install to a whole new computer without reinstalling.  That's a very, very complex task that you shouldn't undertake unless you know exactly what you're doing (and then again, I had a lot of trouble).

sig01.png

One questions which bother me

Is it worth from P3D v3 performance point of view to pay more for 6700k over 6600k?

I am reading this thread and others and cannot find reliable information.

I only find opinion that is not worth it based on gaming benchmarks (not P3D) 6700k vs 6600k and conclusion was:

quote:

Bottom line, there is virtually no performance difference between the Core i7-6700K and the Core i5-6600K and it doesn't matter whether you overclock the CPU or not. In other words it also means it doesn't matter if you have CPU with four cores and four threads or one with eight threads for gaming. Buying a Core i7-6700K over a Core i7-6600K makes sense if you do a lot of video encoding or you run other applications which require a lot of processing power from numerous threads. In the case of gaming it still looks like four cores with four threads are sufficient. Looking at the price reveals another good reason to decide in favor of the smaller CPU, whereas the Core i7-6700K costs 348 Euro these days and the Core i5-6600K sells for 233 Euro.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=3948&page=9

As long as you install from a DVD and not a USB drive, you'll be fine.

Thanks, Max.  This may end up being a stupid question, but one thing I've never been clear on is this:  Can a USB drive still be used for storage/data transfer?  I keep reading that it cannot be used for installation purposes, therefore my confusion.  I don't use my flight sim computer for internet except for authorizations.  My routine is to download from the internet on another computer, transfer to thumbdrive or regular USB drive, transfer to my sim computer, and then do the installations from there.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

One questions which bother me

Is it worth from P3D v3 performance point of view to pay more for 6700k over 6600k?

I am reading this thread and others and cannot find reliable information.

The 6700K certainly gives you more options when it comes to core selection/Affinity mask.

Have you a few hours to slog through this 26 page thread?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/477057-a-frame-time-analysis-of-p3d-v3-effects-of-cpu-affinity-frame-lock-and-ht/

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You should see this thread...

http://www.avsim.com...i7-6700k/page-2

PS2 keyboard and mouse may be required for installation.

But, what is the USB support AFTER the Windows 7 installation?  For one example:  If I have a back-up image on an external USB drive and I want to put that image back on my main drive, can I do it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Smith