Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

Is there any good ATC addons?

Well, FSX ATC isn't very exciting to talk to. Once, on approach to KROC, ATC literally flew me across Lake Ontario to Toronto, then asked me to come back. After that, I never used ATC for approaches. Then, today I was in my NGX, and I had an engine failure. I also had some severe avionic issues, but I couldn't tell the ATC that I had an emergency, which bothered me.

So the question is, are there any good addons that make the in-game ATC better and make it possible to simulate emergency landings?

My regards,

Nathan3219

Radar Contact 4.

Wow, thanks for the quick response! I am looking at it right now, and am considering it.

Well, I was looking for something for offline flying on FSX, but thanks for the idea :)

I do have a VATSIM account, but I still need to get my squawkbox to work, which I haven't gotten to yet.

One question about Radar Contact, does it allow you to request an emergency landing?

I use pointsoft ProAtc. One meaningful point is that it is active development, and the dev listens and tries to implement the suggestions, and fix any issues that come up. Ive tried RC4, and while it was good for its time, this is getting to be the ATC addon to have. Its by no means perfect, but it certainly works, and Ive had many sucessful flights with it. Many features and fixes coming as well.

Just my thoughts.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I always used default, and even modified it with editvoicepack (Mods in the the FSX/Sound library) I now use Proflight 2000 Emulator (PFE). I find it has the best interaction with AI aircraft, although it does have some issues. While it does eliminate the unnecessary traffic alerts, which you should only get at less than 1000ft separation (Adjustable in the settings), because AI is vectored, you still get the vectoring instructions just like default ATC. I've used RC4.3, and while it does an excellent job with the user aircraft, it doesn't do as well with AI. I also tried ProATC-X, wile it shows great potential, IMHO, it's not there yet. It's voices are very inconsistent. For example callsigns will be included for some, but not others, for example you may get an instruction for Southwest 123, but your response will be SWA 123. PFE will handle SIDs and Stars, but must be setup before hand. I think RC4.3 does that too. ProATC-x on the other hand assigns them during flight. PFE is also seen as more difficult to setup, because you actually process your flight plan through 2 separate programs, but it's really not that bad IMHO, and only takes a few seconds. For emergencies, PFE and RC4.3 models them (Although I haven't ried it in either program myself. I'm not sure about PROATC-X. I don't have any experience with VOXATC, but it's also has a pretty good reputation, from what I have read about it. Here is an example of a flight I recorded with PFE. (It is a full flight video)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I find nothing wrong with default atc for basic operation. I personally love the voice packs, they sound very realistic, especially compared to all the addons (except flying online, obviously)

I just wish these addons worked with the default voicepack and accepted editvoicepack mods. They all sound so bad. That's the only thing holding me back. Until then I just listen to liveatc.net and fly published procedures only listening to the ai for ground directions.

I find nothing wrong with default atc for basic operation. I personally love the voice packs, they sound very realistic, especially compared to all the addons (except flying online, obviously)

I just wish these addons worked with the default voicepack and accepted editvoicepack mods. They all sound so bad. That's the only thing holding me back. Until then I just listen to liveatc.net and fly published procedures only listening to the ai for ground directions.

Actually PFE is the most versatile as far as voices go. With the optional expansion pack and the free XPACK2 pack available on their forum, there are 99 individual voices divided by region available. Most sound very good and have a radio feel to them. (Again IMHO) Default has 10. I'm not sure about RC 4.3, but what is there sounds very robotic. There is a freeware addon pack that is said to sound better, which I've only heard one sample of in videos, and it did sound pretty good. Much better then the standard ones. Last I used ProATC-X it had 9 voices, but the developer has released a voice editor to create and distribute new ones, but as I've stated, this method seems to introduce inconsistencies between voices. Not sure how many voices VOXATC has, RC4 and PFE both also have the option of background ATC chatter instead of AI interaction. While RC4 uses canned recordings, PFE does something unique. If you use this option PFE will simulate an ATC session using the criteria of your flight (Origin, destination, and you can set up what Airlines to use). This is a great option if for performance issues, you can't use AI.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Actually PFE is the most versatile as far as voices go. With the optional expansion pack and the free XPACK2 pack available on their forum, there are 99 individual voices divided by region available. Most sound very good and have a radio feel to them. (Again IMHO) Default has 10. I'm not sure about RC 4.3, but what is there sounds very robotic. There is a freeware addon pack that is said to sound better, which I've only heard one sample of in videos, and it did sound pretty good. Much better then the standard ones. Last I used ProATC-X it had 9 voices, but the developer has released a voice editor to create and distribute new ones, but as I've stated, this method seems to introduce inconsistencies between voices. Not sure how many voices VOXATC has, RC4 and PFE both also have the option of background ATC chatter instead of AI interaction. While RC4 uses canned recordings, PFE does something unique. If you use this option PFE will simulate an ATC session using the criteria of your flight (Origin, destination, and you can set up what Airlines to use). This is a great option if for performance issues, you can't use AI.

Can you post a video of the new voices in action? The one you posted sounds really robotic to me.

VoxATC is great and free demo is available.

RC is ok if you like to click on windows and numbers to answer to ATC. If you want to use voice, then look into Vox or Vatsim.

ProATC, I use it all the time, and with the advent of the new update(1.2)It will lead to whole new experience including I believe the ability to divert etc, there will also be Voice activation much like VoxATC. Also ProATC is a work in progress like Opus, and so updates come thick and fast and the programmer listens to his customers. Like others have said Vatsim would be the best except on many occasions in many places there is no coverage, so very inconsistent at best. ProATC in conjunction with Opus and FS2Crew make for one of the most realistic experiences ever!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

(...)

So the question is, are there any good addons that make the in-game ATC better and make it possible to simulate emergency landings?

My regards,

Nathan3219

As far as emergencies in particular are concerned, as far as I remember my own experiences with PFE, PFE always had to struggle with them. IMO RC4.3 handles emergencies in a better way, with more options to choose from for the pilot "in distress".

Must admit, though, that RC4.3 appears a bit outdated and schematic.

PFE is also seen as more difficult to setup, because you actually process your flight plan through 2 separate programs

Ive always found that annoying and antiquated. Takes longer to setup PFE than to plan and implement the flight. One could take the ease of RC4 and combine it with the complexity of PFE might have something. I m seriously considering ProAtc since I've tried every other ATC prgran out there and still not satisfied. No, not satisfies with "online" flying either.