Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

V3 Developer updated software thread

Magenta_zpsowb2az6h.jpg

I was wrong that "texture.cfg" was introduced in 2.5, but many of the other similar cfg files were, sorry about that Jim.

Here's the result of a quick test. My own sky mod, very magenta, added to the sim without touching the stock folders.

Seems like the higher number in the sequence in "texture.cfg" gets the upper hand. I had thought it would be the other way around. Here's how mine looks (again):

[Entry.0]
Title=Default Textures
Path=Texture
Type=Global
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.1]
Title=Default Global Scenery Textures
Path=Scenery\Global\Texture
Type=Global
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.2]
Title=Default World Textures
Path=Scenery\World\Texture
Type=World
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.3]
Title=PZ_Inc Textures
Path=F:\PZ_Inc\Texture
Type=Global
Required=True
Active=True
I added my sky mod to "my" texture folder, [Entry.3], number 4 in sequence. It wins.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

I don't think that's true at all. The Beechcraft Bonanza is a a payware-quality GA plane, and the virtual cockpit looks beautiful in v3. I'm not saying that I don't miss my other planes - I do - but the Bonanza is miles ahead of anything FSX ever came with.

Flight model seems to be imroved in v3 as well, feels less like its on rails thn a lot of FSX/P3D v2 planes did.

Agree, Bonanza is a very nice "default" aircraft, better than anything that came default with FSX.  And yes the flight dynamics do appear to be different (in a good way) in V3 ... altitude drop during banking seems more accurate now and one has to pay more attention.

As far as Orbx, recommend you wait for them to release official updates/installers.  I would NOT use any "migration" tools like FSCubed/EMT as they will not work correctly and high probability of really messing up your environment.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks JP, I guess I was missing a big piece of the puzzle. I never went beyond v2.4 so hadn't seen the new texture.cfg, I thought we were talking about the ones like those found in all the aircraft livery folders.

Now I'm wondering if there are any similar provisions for custom AutogenDescriptions? More importantly, do we now have provisions for multiple descriptions from different scenery developers to co-exist and be collectively read and interpreted at run time without overwriting one another's descriptions? That would be huge...

Busy today but I'll get v3 installed tomorrow. Thanks for the info, have a great day! :smile:

For the benefit of those who really want to know the actual and factual details for the new add-on system:

Add-on Configuration:

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_configuration.html

Add-on Instructions for Developers:

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_instructions_for_developers.html

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How do you get them into 3.0?  Just copy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2283QMFGSA

I wrote a small tutorial, it does require to have a 2.5 installation as well, but it can be bare bones as it's not really used.

Don't expect support from OrbX if it goes wrong, if you want to be totally safe wait for the official installers.

Seems like the higher number in the sequence in "texture.cfg" gets the upper hand. I had thought it would be the other way around. Here's how mine looks (again):

The priority for how add-on content configuration files are initialized are as follows:

• Local: Configuration files found at: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • Roaming: Configuration files found at: %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • ProgramData: Configuration files found at: %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

Notice that the "stuff" is loaded from custom add-on configuration files first, followed by the base program files.  In fact files with the same filename will be used instead of the base program files of the same name.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For the benefit of those who really want to know the actual and factual details for the new add-on system:

Add-on Configuration:

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_configuration.html

Add-on Instructions for Developers:

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_instructions_for_developers.html

Thanks, thats where I should really have started :) I really like the way LM are trying to introduce some order to the chaos of addon management ...

If he would let them, perhaps LM can integrate in a future point release the autogen merge utility that Arno has written, http://www.scenerydesign.org, which could very well complement the cfg options they have introduced for lots of other elements?

No risk as the work is done already and it would be the holy grail of comprehensive integrated autogen descriptions? :) Would make life so much easier for addon developers as well, esp freeware creators, who at present just get ridden roughshod over by devs who impose whatever autogen they like on users.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

i have an idea and wondered if it would be stupid, what if i wiped my computer and installed p3d v2 and all my addons accept fsdreamteam and vector and used fscubed to save everything, wipe my pc again and then restore to p3d v3 with fscubed, by the way things look, it can be months before orbx and aerosoft get addons supported. it would take me 2 days to do this process if i sat at the pc 8 hours each day.i bet i have 150 addons across 2 dozen developers.

i have an idea and wondered if it would be stupid, what if i wiped my computer and installed p3d v2 and all my addons accept fsdreamteam and vector and used fscubed to save everything, wipe my pc again and then restore to p3d v3 with fscubed, by the way things look, it can be months before orbx and aerosoft get addons supported. it would take me 2 days to do this process if i sat at the pc 8 hours each day.i bet i have 150 addons across 2 dozen developers.

I would install a few addons you actually use and enjoy flying. And then install a few addons the next time you want to do something else and enjoy flying again. Orbx will be releasing compatible installers this month already (for the main, bigger addons). Why do some people seem to want to install everything at once while it is impossible to actually use everything at once...? I never get that. Some people seem to spend more time installing (and planning it all) than flying LOL I myself would never ever spend a cent on something as fscubed.... Anyway, what you are planning to do seems insane to me and what if fscubed doesn't do exactly what you hope it does...? But well, it's your time and your fun. ;)

Jeroen,

I will install addons as they become available, if for nothing else than not to compromise the new system. 

However, adding up 24 times 1 hour still is the same as 2 times 12 hours. In the end it will be even more as installing in one turn is more efficient. At least that's been my experience.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I would just like to warn people and confirm that Orbtx Global (made for V2)  will not install into V3,  I did not try this myself, a friend told me   :Whistle:   My friend also told me that Orbtx Ireland will not install.  My friend has a wheel in her head but no hamster on it  :smile:    

Jeroen,

I will install addons as they become available, if for nothing else than not to compromise the new system.

However, adding up 24 times 1 hour still is the same as 2 times 12 hours. In the end it will be even more as installing in one turn is more efficient. At least that's been my experience.

Kind regards, Michael

True, but to me it just seems less annoying/irritating/cumbersome/etc. to spread it all out over time... :) And as I said, maybe you will be installing things you won't even use at all. I always like to keep my system and P3D as clean as possible.

Notice that the "stuff" is loaded from custom add-on configuration files first, followed by the base program files.  In fact files with the same filename will be used instead of the base program files of the same name.

Thanks Bill.

I would have gotten around to reading the SDK documentation eventually, but right now I'm too busy playing around and having fun (oops, getting educated I mean of course ...).

I did not try this myself, a friend told me   :Whistle:   My friend also told me that Orbtx Ireland will not install.  My friend has a wheel in her head but no hamster on it  :smile:

Lol Elaine. :smile:

- JP

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

I always like to keep my system and P3D as clean as possible.

I do this using SimStarter, a most valuable (freeware) tool. It reducey loading times to a fraction. I even think it saved me from any OOMs in keeping VAS clear of stuff not actually in need. At least this was under 2.5. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

AIRACs from Navigraph will be avaiable for P3D v3 from next cycle, thats mean from 15th October (info from Navigraph forum).

P.S.

In details they wrote: "We hope to add P3D V3 support in the next AIRAC cycle." :Party: