Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

RC5 - Feature Requests

I ask for 250kt relief in those situations.
Is there a way to do that in the US that I am missing? I know RC allows you to disable the restriction outside of the US, but I have yet to see the relief in the menus anywhere in the US.As for the above post about the switching the sound device for FSX, that works great for FSX but various addon planes with their own sounds, at least including the the LDS 767, will play their sounds out of the primary sound device, ignoring the FSX settings. I would *love* a sound device selector in RC5.-stefanEdit: VVVV I will look for that next time. I have no idea how I have missed it previously. Thanks!

Guest nshahzad
Is there a way to do that in the US that I am missing? I know RC allows you to disable the restriction outside of the US, but I have yet to see the relief in the menus anywhere in the US.-stefan
Once you take off, press 9 to goto the next "screen" on the menu. The option is under there IIRC, in one of those next menus.

I'd really like to be able to request altitude changes after the whole approach cycle begins at around a hundred miles out = especially in the winter when icing is prevalent. Currently you lose the options to do so, or to declare an emergency.DJ

I think he wants the ATC commentary with AI from RC5 all the time as a replacement for the ATC that MS supply, that's something we would all like to see I'm sure, but I do know this is a big ask.I also think its a good idea being able to send the sound from RC5 to a sound device of our choice, this is what I do now with the FSX ATC audio, I send it to my wireless headset, while all other sound is sent to my speakers.
not sure what more commentary there can be. the ai have to be doing something worthy of chatter, you have to be on the same frequency as them. i'm not going to clear an ai for takeoff, if you are on ground frequency, just to make the sim chattierin vista, i believe you can route sound to different devices, based on app. i'll have to see if that is true.
Is there a way to do that in the US that I am missing? I know RC allows you to disable the restriction outside of the US, but I have yet to see the relief in the menus anywhere in the US.As for the above post about the switching the sound device for FSX, that works great for FSX but various addon planes with their own sounds, at least including the the LDS 767, will play their sounds out of the primary sound device, ignoring the FSX settings. I would *love* a sound device selector in RC5.-stefanEdit: VVVV I will look for that next time. I have no idea how I have missed it previously. Thanks!
have you selected heavy as your aircraft type?
I'd really like to be able to request altitude changes after the whole approach cycle begins at around a hundred miles out = especially in the winter when icing is prevalent. Currently you lose the options to do so, or to declare an emergency.DJ
are you sure you lose the emergency? have you gone through all the menus?and are you wanting to request higher or lower? i think i take away higher, but not lower.you can also request pilot's discretion on the first descent clearance, and descend whenever you want.

Guest nshahzad
in vista, i believe you can route sound to different devices, based on app. i'll have to see if that is true.
Only individual volume, not the device.What I do now, is set my primary sound device as my headphone soundcard (in the Control Panel), then in FSX set that to my speakers. That work around is "good enough" for now.Compared to the MS ATC, RC ATC is much quieter. I turned them both up now, and at JFK for instance, the MS ATC has alot more "going on" than RC does. It's a little hard to explain.

Guest keiron
i'm not sure i see what keeping v5 running between flights would buy you.what would you perceive as more interactive with ai?is it just intersections that need updating? how about i read the nav stuff out of the scenery files?jd
AI- its only minor things really. Like making ATC handle traffic on the ground, making sure no ground collisions happen. At the moment I use AiSmooth with my RC4 and FSATC disabled by modding the FSUIPC ini. So maybe RC5 could take over a the jobs that Aismooth does to. At the moment I think RC4 does the job of making sure I am the priority by pausing alot of AI action around me when I come to land or T/O. It would be cool if maybe I was told to wait, hold short, alter approach speed etc.But bare in mind I dont know what I'm coming out with half of the time, the task of developing Radar Contact is immense, my ideas could be abit far fetched I dunno lol. As for Airac; Navaids and Fixes being updatable. For example I downloaded Airac 608 which was the last of the Airacs I believe for Radar Contact. Although on Avsim it says for RC3 only, I managed to do abit of manual copy and paste to update my RC4.I guess you got a good point about not keeping RC5 running between flights but sometimes I do a series of short haul flights, refuel and choose another flightplan. Its no big deal though, it was just a lazy boy idea :(

Guest Alias

HI,another thing I believe could add more interest is the chance to have approach giving you some "DIRECT TO" (on random basis) thus simulating how real STARs are flown. Or also - but I think this is more difficult - to have approach asking you to follow a certain VOR radial while executing the STAR.That would add something very very realistic.Regards,

already on the listjd

HI,another thing I believe could add more interest is the chance to have approach giving you some "DIRECT TO" (on random basis) thus simulating how real STARs are flown. Or also - but I think this is more difficult - to have approach asking you to follow a certain VOR radial while executing the STAR.That would add something very very realistic.Regards,

Just a minor point here, if you don't mind.Would there be any way that RC5 could have some sort of setting where the controller voice could be simulated to sound like a VHF transmission much like Squawkbox has? Just to add some background static to the ATC and even pilot transmissions?

it's tricky.yes we can. we have. then others say it is too static-y, and can't understand it. we make it less static-y, others say there needs to be more static.i think what we have is a fine balance between the twojd

Just a minor point here, if you don't mind.Would there be any way that RC5 could have some sort of setting where the controller voice could be simulated to sound like a VHF transmission much like Squawkbox has? Just to add some background static to the ATC and even pilot transmissions?

A number of random thoughts on this topic1.Regarding level change requests en route.At the moment ATC says a.yes b.no. c.I have your request.If you get "c" you never hear from ATC again.Obviously I keep asking but in real life you get told what to expect but with "c" ATC usually get back to you without you asking again.2.ATIS is usually audible from further away than 60 odd miles if at high altitude.OK I have AS6.5 but that doesn't give you the runway.Can you increase the range?I know it's a height /VHF range thing3.ATC is pretty slick at getting departing aircraft away in a queue especially if there's 2 runway operation and the arrivals are on the other one.You get us lined up as soon as the preceeding aircraft is away.With single runway ops you don't seem to get us lined up after a landing aircraft until he's left the runway.Even with nothing else on approach.Can this be done?Like "after the landing 747,line up and wait.landing traffic 6 miles" or similar4."Field in sight"is a correct call.I'm not sure that"visual on the field"is.5.Sometimes the pilot cannot access your on screen menus while another aircraft is talking.I think I raised this a while back and you were going to look into it.6.Sometimes there is confusion if ATC asks for a heading change.say if you're too high after the descent instruction to 12000.The reply options are sometimes as for a descent change like "Unable".ATC then says give me your best rate of descent.It usually gets sorted but it seems a bit odd.

A number of random thoughts on this topic1.Regarding level change requests en route.At the moment ATC says a.yes b.no. c.I have your request.If you get "c" you never hear from ATC again.Obviously I keep asking but in real life you get told what to expect but with "c" ATC usually get back to you without you asking again.
if you get a no, you can ask again, and you will almost always get approved.c - you're right. we'll try to fix that
2.ATIS is usually audible from further away than 60 odd miles if at high altitude.OK I have AS6.5 but that doesn't give you the runway.Can you increase the range?I know it's a height /VHF range thing
i could give you the weather for any airport in the world, there is no limitation. buti rely on seeing the ai at the arrival airport, or any airport, to determine which runway is in use. anything beyond 60 miles, there usually aren't any ai that i can see, so it's problematic.so it's not so much a bug/limitation, it is making sure the data i give you is accurate. and even at 60 miles, the ai may change runways, and it's all wrong.
3.ATC is pretty slick at getting departing aircraft away in a queue especially if there's 2 runway operation and the arrivals are on the other one.You get us lined up as soon as the preceeding aircraft is away.With single runway ops you don't seem to get us lined up after a landing aircraft until he's left the runway.Even with nothing else on approach.Can this be done?Like "after the landing 747,line up and wait.landing traffic 6 miles" or similar
i was going by the rule, no more that one aircraft on the runway at a time. have you noticed if this is different inside the united states vs every where else? it may be a faa, or a non-faa thing.
4."Field in sight"is a correct call.I'm not sure that"visual on the field"is.5.Sometimes the pilot cannot access your on screen menus while another aircraft is talking.I think I raised this a while back and you were going to look into it.
not a problem in v5
6.Sometimes there is confusion if ATC asks for a heading change.say if you're too high after the descent instruction to 12000.The reply options are sometimes as for a descent change like "Unable".ATC then says give me your best rate of descent.It usually gets sorted but it seems a bit odd.
not at all. if you aren't going to try to help the controller out by doing what he asks, he's going to do what needs to be done for seperation, and you have to take "plan b". makes "plan a" look better.jd

It's great to get such a speedy response to these qustions JD.Thank youI hear what you say on all points.On the subject of lining up on a runway after landing traffic, with others on the approach and the preceeding aircraft not vacated,it certainly used to be allowed here in the UK.Now I know I may be out of date and I'm sure you have others you can consult but we used to get "line up and hold on runway XXX,ready immediate" or "line up and hold,landing traffic 6 miles"The rules may have changed following some tragic runway incursions.Yes I noticed the USA operation in RC4.It works well.Understood about the ATIS problem.Actually I may have had that wrong as the airfield ATIS may not have the power and range of the regional ones here in UK.The latter do not give a runway, just the weather.At 60 miles it's fairly easy to plan for another approach if you guessed wrong.On Item 6 it's best to pay attention and get it right I agree.It's easy enough to go for plan B too but on some occasions when I fail to make it I don't get the option. If I can't make the level I get told to make a turn.All understood and quite right too.But the options for reply I get include an "unable" which if I choose it then tells me to go for the best rate of descent, nothing to do with heading.Maybe I've misunderstood something.I'll have a look at it again.It usually only happens after a high altitude trip and a descent from say FL370 and failure to acquire the assigned level by the fix point.I totally understand your thinking about separation.That's what ATC is for.It was the reply option that got me confused.Thanks again

Continuing this discussion, here in the UK there is great emphasis on runway utilisation and it is therefore acceptable to clear departing aircraft on to the runway to line up and hold if there is another still completing it's landing roll out.This applies even if there is another aircraft on approach.In fact the line up and hold instruction can be given as the landing aircraft is just touching down.On approach a conditional landing clearance will be given if the preceeding landing aircraft is seen to be half way down the runway and able to complete it's roll and turn off in time.On the question of RC4 asking you to be at an altitude at the 40 mile fix I guess that where I got confused was when there was a descent question waiting to be answered and I got the "unable "option.As you rightly say,this does not apply to the take up a new heading instruction when the aircraft fails to reach the required level..