Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Couple questions...

Hey guys - couple of q's on the 7441.) I know different airlines have different SOPs but i'd love to see some examples: What is the distance and/or altitude by which you have to be established on the glide slope/localizer before having execute a go around? By established I mean you are rock solid on the approach and not still fighting to get the aircraft configured and/or troubleshooting some issue.2.) I've been having some issues with VNAV when trying to climb to a new altitude during cruise. Here's what happens, I get clearance to climb to new cruise level, i then change the cruise altitude on the RTE page and execute the change. The FMC then gives me the check MCP altitude message, I then enter the new altitude on the MCP and then press the altitude button. Sometimes the aircraft will climb partially toward the new altitude and then stop, and at other times the aircraft will now bother to climb. I just found out the other night that the only way to ensure a climb was to press the already engaged VNAV button again. Any light that can be shed on the correct procedure would be most appreciated!!!Thanks for the help!!!

Regarding 2)...You probably should be dialling in the new altitude before you update the FMC... or, even easier... Just dial in the new altitude on the MCP and then push the Alt knob (This action will update the FMC automatically)Hope this helps.Cheers.Q.

Nameless-Please conform with forum polcy by signing your name to all posts in this forum.Stabilized approach criteria at most US air carriers are as follows:On glideslode/localizer, fully configured for landing and on speed:IMC: 1000' above DAVMC: 500' AGL.As for your VNAV question- it sounds to me like you are seeing the airplane level off at an intermediate altitude within your flight plan. I'd suggest reviewing the PMDG 747-400 Type Rating Course material for a greater understanding of what is happening.You can find lessons 1-3 at:http://www.ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/P..._Course_LessonsYou can find lessons 4 and 5 available for download on the PMDG downloads page....Lesson 6 will hopefully join that group in a few weeks, if I can find some free time. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert-Did you just say TRC 5 was available at the downloads page? Please confirm. I just checked and I only see TRC 1-3 on the downloads page and on the Wiki. As for TRC4, it seems to be only available via the link in the forum (and front page). But TRC5? This is new. --eric

Robert...Same here.... can only find TRCs 1-4.... no sign of TRC 5 anywhere in the PMDG site (unless I'm as blind as a bat - maybe that's why some of my landings are a bit on the heavy side!!!!).Cheers from Oz...Guy

I'd like to add a question if I may, what display is often used on the lower MFD during cruise?

Alaister Kay

Thanks a lot for the help gentlemen. I'll try your suggestion Q and I will review the type rating lessons Robert. I do have one more question though: typically my trim setting for takeoff per the FMC is 6, is there a rule of thumb to use when setting the trim for landing, (ie. is it half of takeoff trim?) or is it purely by trial and error? Again thanks for all the help!!!!Richard

Isn't it usually turned off?

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

>You can find lessons 4 and 5 available for download on the PMDG downloads page.Hi Robert,I went to the PMDG download page but I don't see lessons 4 and 5. I didn't even know that lesson 5 was out. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks, Ken.

>Thanks a lot for the help gentlemen. I'll try your>suggestion Q and I will review the type rating lessons Robert.> I do have one more question though: typically my trim setting>for takeoff per the FMC is 6, is there a rule of thumb to use>when setting the trim for landing, (ie. is it half of takeoff>trim?) or is it purely by trial and error? Again thanks for>all the help!!!!>>RichardRichard, As far as the trim to use for landing, I think the auto-pilot is constantly triming the airplane for the correct pitch, usually a 3 degree glide slope and makes only small changes. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve. Ken.

Guest AJ

The screens are very easily switched so it really does not matter which display is shown when the crew is not specifically checking something. Moreover, if something is not right, the EICAS will normally allert you with one of those little yellow messages and you can then easily switch to whateve screen needs attention. Thus, unless an individual airline has some picky SOP regarding this, I would presume that it is up to personal preference. The fuel display would seem a logical choice to me, since it is always changing, and does requires a certain amount of crew intervention (fuel pumps and crossfeed valves) depending on the length of the trip. Presumably, however, a crewmember should cycle through all of the screens every half hour or so, just to verify that all is in order.Hope this helps,Andrew

Pretty sure Robert mispoke on TRC 5, that isn't out yet to my knowlege...I'll get the missing ones up at Ops shortly too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Krister,I cant say if it is an industry wide practice but we fly with the screen blanked. We only bring it up when we need to ie. checking or changing the fuel configuration. The reason we do that is that if there is a system fault the lower EICAS screen will pop up with the fault highlighted. For example low oil pressure. The screen would activate with the appropriate eng oil pressure showing. The screen activating is an attention getting action. I havent tried it in the PMDG sim to see if this is modelled correctly.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall