Sign in to follow this  
Guest Concordeguy

Speed issue

Guest Concordeguy

Hello, I'm back...I just started using the 747 again but whenever I am climbing to my cruising altitude my speed decrease and wont return to the speed I want it to go. Any suggestions.?Christianp.s. I also am having trouble with my PFD and Navigatioinal Displays. Whenever I have it set up in the cold and dark mode, The maps and pfd don't showup, but after completing both the captain and FO chaecks, they remain that way. Once again, any suggestions?

Hey Christian:I don't fly the 747 very often -- but here's what I remember about it:1: You are probably too heavy to climb to your cruising altitude right from takeoff. In real life, most heavies "step climb" to some manageable flight level to burn off fuel, then climb to the cruising altitude once they are a little lighter. The FMS should help you out with the step climb stuff under the VNAV option (I think). 2: Sounds like you forgot to align the IRS. Basically, with your IRS alignment switch set to align (on the overhead panel), get your IRS position from the the FMS (I think it's on the INIT REF page). Plug that into the IRS alignment box (on the same screen I think), and then set your align switch (on the overhead panel) back to NAV. I'm not totally sure that that's the correct procedure, so you might have to fiddle with it a little.Hope that helps -- happy flying!

Guest Concordeguy

>Hey Christian:>>2: Sounds like you forgot to align the IRS. Basically, with>your IRS alignment switch set to align (on the overhead>panel), get your IRS position from the the FMS (I think it's>on the INIT REF page). Plug that into the IRS alignment box>(on the same screen I think), and then set your align switch>(on the overhead panel) back to NAV. I'm not totally sure that>that's the correct procedure, so you might have to fiddle with>it a little.>>Hope that helps -- happy flying! What?

Focus on the weight as the potential problem. You should be able to go to FL29-31 at MTOW, but above that depends on fuel burnoff. The FMC provides OPT/MAX FL as a guide. If the climb rate deceases below about 700 fpm it's time to level off for awhile.Another problem that affects cruise TAS is temperature, but this is usually a problem with long flights over areas with no wx reporting points and it has something to do with FS9 or weather simulation. I don't think this is your problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

>p.s. I also am having trouble with my PFD and Navigatioinal>Displays. Whenever I have it set up in the cold and dark>mode, The maps and pfd don't showup, but after completing both>the captain and FO chaecks, they remain that way. Once again,>any suggestions?The IRS alignment thing (#2) should fix this problem.

Guest Concordeguy

>>p.s. I also am having trouble with my PFD and Navigatioinal>>Displays. Whenever I have it set up in the cold and dark>>mode, The maps and pfd don't showup, but after completing>both>>the captain and FO chaecks, they remain that way. Once>again,>>any suggestions?>>The IRS alignment thing (#2) should fix this problem.>No Iknow what you mean I just dont understand the terminology. could give it to me in steps?:-zhelp

Step 1: Read the manualStep 2: Look in the PMDG menu for realism settings (select IRS full (10minute) alignment time (if you want realism))Step 2: Move all 3 IRS selectors on the overhead panel from OFF directly to NAV.Step 3: Find the POS INIT page on the FMC (look for the empty boxes). Using standard MCDU operating techniques (read the manual) move the GPS position into the scratchpad and then move the GPS position up to the empty boxes position.Step 4: Wait 10 minutes.Your displays should appear.If you are getting absolutely nothing on your Captain's displays, then you probably have a power problem (or a product registration problem). Make sure you have your Standby Power switch in AUTO on your overhead panel. Regarding registration problems... See previous 10,000 AVSIM PMDG forum messages on "blank displays" ;-)Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

Christian-Since most of your answers involve weight- I'm going to be the "heavy" and remind you that in the PMDG forum you are required to sign your posts with your name.(as per the forum guidelines at the top of the forum.)If you can't/won't- you'll wind up never getting any help- because I'll delete your posts.... So please stick to the forum guidelines so we can get you sorted out.You can get quite a bit of information on your weights and optimum altitudes by reviewing the flight planning data enclosed in the manuals. We put a LOT of information in there to help you!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest Concordeguy

>Step 1: Read the manual>Step 2: Look in the PMDG menu for realism settings (select IRS>full (10minute) alignment time (if you want realism))>Step 2: Move all 3 IRS selectors on the overhead panel from>OFF directly to NAV.>Step 3: Find the POS INIT page on the FMC (look for the empty>boxes). Using standard MCDU operating techniques (read the>manual) move the GPS position into the scratchpad and then>move the GPS position up to the empty boxes position.>Step 4: Wait 10 minutes.>>Your displays should appear.>>If you are getting absolutely nothing on your Captain's>displays, then you probably have a power problem (or a product>registration problem). Make sure you have your Standby Power>switch in AUTO on your overhead panel. >>Regarding registration problems... See previous 10,000 AVSIM>PMDG forum messages on "blank displays" ;-)>>Hope this helps.>Cheers.>Q>Well I did what you said and the displays still did not show up. Any ideas?

>>>Well I did what you said and the displays still did not show>up. Any ideas?>>Yes, SIGN YOUR POSTS or your displays will never show up !!!

Guest Concordeguy

Okay,Could anybody help me out with my displays?ThanksChristian

Christian...Would you be able to post a screenshot of the overhead panel and perhaps a shot of the FMC POS INIT page. If everything is set up correctly (electrically) and you've put in the right information in the FMC, then it must be a registration problem.Cheers.Q>

Christian:As far as the blank screens, I'd advise a reinstall after uninstall. Make sure that during the installation (from the executable) there is a validation request. You will need your email, order # and password as well as an active internet connection. Once validated, continue install- all should be well.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Concordeguy

Alright I got that problem figured out. (turns out i misinterpreted the manuals). But I have one problem. . . again. Whenever I am flying I will push LNAV. But do I also need to push LOC? Because my 744 will stray away from the flightplan, then come back, strayaway, comeback, etc... And I have read the manuals.All help is appreciated on this one guys.Thanks,Christian A.

"But do I also need to push LOC? Because my 744 will stray away from the flightplan, then come back, strayaway,"LOC is only used for approach. If the 744 is straying away from the flightplan, it may be a speed problem (flying too fast for the SID). The SID might not be programmed properly or.... it may be unsuitable for a 744.Cheers.Q>