Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

10 years of Microsoft Flight Simming for me... How abou...

Guest JimC1702

Even before SubLogic's "Flight Simulator" and "Air Transport Pilot", I had a flight simulator for a Timex Sinclair 1000, and then another one for the Commodore VIC-20. Since then I've had every version of MS Flight Simulator, plus "Fly!" and "Fly! II" and Sierra's "Pro Pilot" and "Pro Pilot 2".Jim

Another newbie here...started with FS2002 in June 2002

1992 for me. It was FS 4 that came on 5 1/4" floppy disks. Anyone remember the 747 expansion for it? :-) I ran it on a sleek new 286/12 with a whopping 30 MB (yes, MB) HDD. The case was enormous! Ah - I don't miss those days!!Best,Owen

1986 for me, same year I got my PPL. I had done some lessons on an ATC-510 back in 1975 and even sat in a LINK in 1979 when I officially first started logging student time. I remember how I would use the computer sim to test out my dead reckoning, no winds back then so you usually ended up where you were supposed to be. I just find it incredible the advancements in computer simulation of flight... I thought it couldn't get any better 10 years ago, then again 5 years ago but it just keeps gettin better and better ;).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

My real interest in this hobby started with Flight Simulator 2 by Sublogic... And I vaugely remember playing the first Microsoft release, in fact I think I still have it floating around somewhere. It only gets better with time, that is for sure!

I started in the mid 80's on my c-64 with soloflight. You could fly around Kansas, colorado, and one other state. You would do mail runs to different airports. Also had Flight Simulator 2 by sublogic. After that it was Airline transport pilot, then fs98, fs2002, and now fs2004, which I have only had for about six months.A few months ago I found soloflight on a c64 emulator, and had to laugh at the graphics. Computers and flight simulators sure have come a long way since then, and they are only getting better.Glenn

Guest Stryker

Well I'm 26, so, I guess 23 years for me? :(I'm not sure when I started playing it, but we had the SL FS2 for the Atari computer. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 years old. Of course I couldn't do much at the time other than take off. Touching the controls gave me about a 50/50 chance of survival.Later got FS4, then FS5, FS98, Fly!, and now 2004.

subLOGIC Flight Simulator for the Commodore 64 around 1983. I can't recall the one I had before that, other than it was for the C64, and there was a game within it to deliver mail to several cities. Here's a good link showing our hobby's history:http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htmRegards,Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Snap, John!Same here - got a C-64 and FS-II in 1984 and very quickly got hooked shooting approaches into KOAK - if memory serves it was the only airfield that had a textured runway ; all the rest were wireframe..CheersJames

I feel like such a nubie, only 4 years goin' on 40!Marcus Thompson

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Proudly simming since September 2003, with FS2002, then FS2004 in December! Only a few breaks now and then, but I'm definately in for the long haul! Love FS!!-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!BOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723HC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre, go aheadBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723 has a message for youHC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre is ready to copy messageBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, message is as follows: Mayday, Mayday, Mayday ....

Sublogic FS on C-64 in 1984 for me. After a few years I switched to Amiga and boy, was that thing good! Stereo sound, great graphics. I remember just sitting there and listening to the purr of the engine. :)I stayed with the Amiga (1200 with a 040 turbo board) as long as I could before switching to PC's. I hated it, the Amiga was such a lovely computer, but there really was not much choice. I never flew MSFS much until version 2002. I bought Pro Pilot, then a long spell with the still wonderful Flight Unlimited series and finally Fly! and Fly!II where I began to "do stuff", not only fly. Then FS2002 came and that was it. Been "faithful" ever since. ;)Regards,Jure

Guest thscholz

Looks like many of you guys remember those days when Flight Simulator came on one 5 1/4 inch floppy disk (which really WAS floppy:-lol ).BTW, I still have one of those floppys that says "Microsoft Windows Disk 1 of 5".:-) With the first versions of the sim when you pressed the right mouse button (provided that you actually had a mouse:-lol ) the cursor would disappear and you could control the aircraft with the mouse...can you imagine?CheersThomas

Guest Bell206freak

Been roughly 10 years for me.. My aunt had Flight Simulator 5, and I played it quite often whenever I visited her.. Then I ended up getting Flight Simulator for Windows 95, and then FS 98 shortly afterwards. I skipped FS2000 and FS2002, and bought FS2004 shortly after it was released.