Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

How to edit the Shift+Z display line?

I was wondering if there is a way to edit the red line that appears at the top the the screen when Shift+Z is pressed? What I want to be able to do is get the Lat and Long coordinates to display 4 or 5 decimal points at the end instead of just 2 like is does now.Example how it reads now.N32*14.51 W110*56.76What is want to do is get:N32*14.51XXX W110*56.76XXXSo that when I am using AFCAD to place a runway under a chopper pad I can get is more precisly aligned rather that having to postion and start FS and check, then shut down FS, open AFCAD reposition and repeat.I greatly appreciate any help.Regards,Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is all what I've read about. Don't know if may help.http://dev.fsinsider.com/freeflight/Pages/...ingShift-Z.aspx

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.60GHz | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) | ASUSTeK P8P67 DELUXE | EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ | Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB | Crucial CT1000MX500 1TB | 2 x Western Digital WDC WD40EZRX 4TB | Creative X-Fi Audio Processor | NEC 24WMGX3 MultiSync | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Sean, I made myself a gauge for exactly that purpose. I installed it on it's own window on the default Skyhawk panel. It can be opened in any view with Shift+4. The lat/lon readout is in decimal format which I've been using for raw XML compiled with bglcomp. Unfortunately afcad won't accept the decimal format, but it can be converted just by multiplying the decimal part of the number *60. With 7 decimal places it's accurate to within an inch or so in the sim. If you're interested I'll package it up for you and post it.http://www.cat-tamer.com/attach/lat-lon_gauge.gifDon't ask me what elevator trim is doing on there, I just had room and got tired of guessing is all :) .Jim

You can display the extended coordinates with a little program called FSValues - available here at Avsim.Look for fs-values.zip in the library

Sounds like a useful gauge to have.Hope you will upload it to the library so we all can have a look.

Hi David. Off topic, but will you consider bring back your "Tips N Tricks" issues for FSX? They were great for FS9 and have them all.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

I slightly modified my scenery gauge, replacing MAGVAR with True Heading which is probably a bit more useful for placing objects.http://www.cat-tamer.com/attach/lat-lon_gauge2.gifI wrote a readme.txt with instructions for installing it on the default Skyhawk panel as well as some info on using the gauge. Anyone interested can download the gauge here:lat-lon_gauge.zip][/bI probably won't put this in the file library just yet. I think I'll do a "version 2" in the near future though that will be a complete "scenery-placing aircraft" where the model is actually a T-square affair with crosshairs and foot/meter graduations that you can slew about to place your objects. It will use an enhanced version of this gauge as a panel.Jim

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Tips and Tricks for FS2004 series Kendall.Even though I now have a fairy decent machine (thanks in part to the generosity of a few of my readers) which runs FS2004 extremely well, and I have FSX installed also (a gift), I have no plans to do a Tips and Tricks series for FSX.I am finally able to use clouds, AI traffic and have the sliders maxed while maintaining good frame rates - a whole new world of FS2004 is at my fingertips!Frankly FSX - even with the service pack - does not impress me and I plan to enjoy FS2004 for long time to come.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. Jim, I just downloaded your gauge and will begin using it tonight. I can't wait for the version #2 with a t-square for the aircraft. Any chance in the new version you can make the altitude in feet rather than meters and the lat and long display in the fs9 format nXX*XX.XXXXXX WXXX.XXXXXXX just to avoid having to use the calc? Thanks so much for your help. This will greatly make persision AFCAD and scenery placement much easier.Regards,Sean

Sean,I actually found a "scenery placement aircraft" in the library, "chplus.zip". There may be others too, I didn't spend much time looking. I tried this one out and liked it a lot, especially the "jet pack" flight dynamics. Doesn't have a panel of any kind, however. It's a perfect candidate for my scenery gauge v2.0, so rather than re-invent the wheel, I'm just going to build a panel for this "aircraft" instead.I worked out the code last night to convert lat/lon to dd* mm.mm, the new gauge will have both formats. Altitude in feet is a no-brainer, the new gauge will have both meters and feet. Is there anything else that may come in handy for scenery placement?Should be ready to upload in a day or so.Jim

Jim, thats really cool what your doing. I love this tool and am sure many others will appreciate it a lot. I don't think anything is missing. How will you notify us when you upload it? Will you attach it to this thread?Thanks again,Sean

New gauge is working and on the "panel", still needs a few adjustments, a readme, and then I'll zip everything up. Yeah Sean, I'll bump this thread when I upload it.Tried out TCalc this AM Holger. Probably the best bet really, because you can copy & paste the coords. Why does it give me a .bmp filename for "CUSTOM ( photoreal ) texture" when I have no custom textures installed? The filename must be derived from the coordinates somehow?Jim

Guest CapHavoc

Just add the following entry into the (Main)(that's square brackets) section of your fs.cfg.Display_Fractional_Minutes=0That should do the trick.