Sign in to follow this  
BobP

MD11 banks left - right constantly..

I'm a rookie MD11 pilot (just downloaded) and assume I have set something up incorrectly. The plane banks left, then right, then left along the flight plan. It is waaay more than normal for any aircraft I have flown. I was using ASA and tried it with FSX default weather. Same thing but not as pronounced. I used the load manager to setup the planes weights and balance. I then followed the tutorial for my first few flights. Two flights a row and I need a Dramamine. :) Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.Bob..

You need a registered copy of FSUIPC and you need to enable the wind smoothing options included with it, also tick the turbulence and variance check boxes and your MD-11 s-turns will pretty much disappear completely.

Cheers, Andy.

You need a registered copy of FSUIPC and you need to enable the wind smoothing options included with it, also tick the turbulence and variance check boxes and your MD-11 s-turns will pretty much disappear completely.
Bit weird you need a 25 dollar program in order to be able to fly the MD-11 without problems...

You need FSUIPC to fix a broken FSX. FSUIPC is THE most important and most useful add-on/utility you will EVER buy for FSX period. $25 is an absolute steal in my opinion.

Cheers, Andy.

Bit weird you need a 25 dollar program in order to be able to fly the MD-11 without problems...
Only if you insist on flying with the "real" weather - which is broken in FSX.

Only if you insist on flying with the "real" weather - which is broken in FSX.
Thanks everyone. I will set the wind smoothing thingy in FSUIPC and see that if helps. I haven't been able to land the plane yet as I keep getting a hard crash to the BSOD. Usually occurs a few minutes after takeoff. The video starts to break up with horizontal lines then a complete freeze. I have seen this before occasionally, but never this consistent.

I have a similiar problem in FS9 though with either ASky weather or FS weather but it only occurs when I'm over areas that are void of nav aids (ie North Atlantic etc.) I have FSUIPC with wind smoothing etc installed but the wind is not changing as it banks it steady in one direction.It will fly wings level for about 2 or 3 minutes then do about a 5-9 degree bank either left or right like its trying to recapture the flight path then bank 5-9 the other way then level out for another 2 or 3 minutes.The important thing to remember here is that this is only in areas with no nav aids. I flew EGLL to KSFO the other day in real time and was at the computer the entire 12 hour flight monitoring and it will make you dizzy sometimes. This occurs with the PMDG 737,747,MD11. I'm going to test the FS default 747 on the same flight path to see if its the same.Sean Green

Sean Green

Are you sure this is a FSX problem. Without the autopilot engaged, only cws mode, the problem disappears, and thats still the autopilot handling banks, right?

You will only see it when the Autopilot is trying to follow a course line in a GPS,Nav aid or FMS, wing levelling is not affected.

Cheers, Andy.

I see, I own the ASA program, and your hifi banner is not hard to miss, could i fix the issue with this program?

You will only see it when the Autopilot is trying to follow a course line in a GPS,Nav aid or FMS, wing levelling is not affected.
I'm seeing it with FSUIPC smoothing selected and default real time weather. The plane banks as much as 15% in response to wind speed changes. There must be a solution as this un-commanded course searching is ludicrous. Plus all of the banking is moot as I'm getting a consistent BSOD some time during the flight. I'm starting to get an $80 knot in my stomach that I'm the only MD11 captain who can't complete a flight. Arrrrg...Bob..

The FSUIPC settings need to be "aggressive." I use 1 deg/kt per 8 sec and one half the default values for press/temp variations and get rid of turbulence everywhere. Although it is not the majic bullet (that would be a complete redo on that horrible MSFS wx engine) it really helps in most cases. Don't blame this on PMDG, it is definitely a microslop problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Don't blame this on PMDG, it is definitely a microslop problem.
But how come that i have no problem flying the plane manually, but the autopilot keeps the plane banking left and right all the time?

Create one with clear weather and no winds aloft to see if it continues to bank left and right. In my testing it still does bank left and right with no weather or winds.Sean

Sean Green