Sign in to follow this  
Marniftarr

Adaptive lighting effect for FSX

Aha look... Those black objects are exactly my problem in full screen

Q: When activating the mod, image makes black (objects near the camera).A: Your videocard not support antialiasing of HDR textures, disable antialiasing in the game and in display driver control panel. Also try to set AllowAntialias=0, BugFixMode=1 or 5, AlternativeDepth=0, if not helps, disable ambient occlusions EnableOcclusion=0.
I give it one more chance. And try the older dll as well. But no way i disable AA...

Guest dswo
I give it one more chance. And try the older dll as well. But no way i disable AA...
A. I was losing antialiasing (AA) with the newer DLL. I tried the older DLL and framerates were noticeably reduced. So far, what's working for me:1. Back to the new DLL (higher framerates)2. Edit the .ini as following:AllowAntialias=0This is giving me close-to-normal framerates and I'm getting the normal antialiasing that I had before (using NickN's settings for Nhancer). My rig: Q6600 (stock speed), 4Gb RAM, WinXP Pro, Nvidia 8800 GT (512Mb) with 185.20 beta driver.EDIT: More experimentation shows that this works sometimes. The last time I reloaded the sim with these settings, I had lost antialiasing again. Sigh! I like the effect, but AA is better.B. How can we get the DLL to reread the .ini settings? To test a new tweak, do you have to load a new flight? Reload the sim? Is there a reload key?

B. How can we get the DLL to reread the .ini settings? To test a new tweak, do you have to load a new flight? Reload the sim? Is there a reload key?
I think you have to reload the sim. Luckily the addon already has effect on the plane you see in the Free flight tab (or whatever it is called), so some tweaks can be checked quicly. But to really see what a certain tweaks does, you have to do a complete restart of FSX and load a flight...

Using the older 0.074 dll I don't lose AA (see second of my shots above, ultralight cables and struts), but then again, I only run very low AA settings in nHancer (2X Multisampling) because I run at 1920x1200 resolution. I do get about a 4-5FPS performance hit with the older dll though. I have Anisotropic Filtering set to 'Application' in nHancer, perhaps try that?

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Guest 413X3

it makes the night way too light though. anyone have ini change tips?

it makes the night way too light though. anyone have ini change tips?
Play with this setting negative value makes things brighter and positive darker copy of mine below[colorCORRECTION]DarkeningAmountDay=20ScreenLevelDay=70ScreenLevelNight=1DarkeningAmountNight=15GammaCurveDay=0GammaCurveNight=1ColorSaturationDay=1ColorSaturationNight=1UsePaletteTexture=0

André

I have to say I like this thing but it seems I can't run it in full screen mode. I saw there's more people that can't do that but my symptoms are different: The screen goes black, not white as everyone else seems to see. My video card is a ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 and it's running on Vista Ultimate x64. Has anyone else seen this?Cheers/Jonas

This reply is directed at those shots posted by user "Orbx"Those shots are really nice, and by that I mean vivid colors and cool anglesBut I gotta say that they don't look realistic at all.... I'm a real pilot and if I look up in the bright blue sky (not at the sun hehe) and then quickly back at the ground, it's not extremely dark as per those screenshots. I know it can be tweaked but the effect in general is not really adding realism, it's adding an artistic effect. It makes the skies look like a soft glow filter was applied, and that's not at all what I see when I fly, even on hazy days.If I could quote Nick N "It’s a really wonderful little tool to play with and especially for screenshots. "I would agree with that statement...Just my two cents

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This reply is directed at those shots posted by user "Orbx"Those shots are really nice, and by that I mean vivid colors and cool anglesBut I gotta say that they don't look realistic at all.... I'm a real pilot and if I look up in the bright blue sky (not at the sun hehe) and then quickly back at the ground, it's not extremely dark as per those screenshots. I know it can be tweaked but the effect in general is not really adding realism, it's adding an effect. It makes the skies look like a soft glow filter was applied, and that's not at all what I see when I fly, even on hazy days.If I could quote Nick N "It

Guest jaskanFactor

no matter how much better this tool makes things look in FSX, and i have to admit i like being able to see more at FSX night. But none the less the fact that i have to switch the tool back on everytime you go to fsx menus or even change views means i am parting ways with this tool.I think it goes off when you go to menus or chnage views. And sometimes the effect is so suttle that you might not notice the tool is off till youre parked at arrival airport. And then thier is the flashing i get when the tool is starting its self sometimes. All bad for my eyes, too much bright white in some cases.If not for the tool going off when i change views or go fsx menus, i might have been willing to keep it , just for brighter night effects.Nice idea, but not a home run for me.Can someone please confirm for me that as long as i remove the files from FSX folder my fsx returns to default.

Yes, simply delete the two files. :(

But I gotta say that they don't look realistic at all.... the effect in general is not really adding realism, it's adding an artistic effect.
True. But what is 'real'...? In most driving games you can see the 'spikes' of wheels turn in various directions... not because they do so in real life, but because they do so... on tv and in films...! This bloom/HDR addon belongs to the same category as lense flare! These are all artificial artistic effects that simulate the reality... of movies! Not of real life! Our generation (and a few before us too) know a lot of the world and what's happening in it only through tv and movies. THAT is how we imagine or want things to be! HDR is something that happens in real life but our eyes and brains are too quick and good to really see it. Filmlenses aren't that quick and good and so we see HDR in films and on tv... and it looks good. Just like lens flare can look good... Or bloom...We watch tv and movies on screens. So when we fly on screen, we want and expect and hope to see a similar 'reality'... I love it. I won't fly without it anymore. FSX looks so FLAT and DULL without it...! Even though it is an artistic effect: it makes everything look more real... just like in the movies... :(
If not for the tool going off when i change views or go fsx menus, i might have been willing to keep it , just for brighter night effects.
Pity, I don't have that at all. The effect is always on unless I turn it of myself... This dll really does work different on every computer it seems...

......We watch tv and movies on screens. So when we fly on screen, we want and expect and hope to see a similar 'reality'.......
Not really.. at least not all of us. Why try to recreate flaws in photography such as lens flare etc when we are supppse to be seeing things with the naked eye in most game and FSX?Perhaps these things might be apropriate for a replay but, not when something is supposed to be viewed in real time by the naked eye. :(

Not really.. at least not all of us. Why try to recreate flaws in photography such as lens flare etc when we are supppse to be seeing things with the naked eye in most game and FSX?Perhaps these things might be apropriate for a replay but, not when something is supposed to be viewed in real time by the naked eye. :(
What I was trying to say is that most effects you see in games are not created to make games look realistic (as we see them with the naked eye) but to make them just as shiny and smooth and awesome as the movies. Because for a lot of people that IS realism... or at least that is how things should look like to them. Specially things they only know from movies...! Unlike what you seem to think, I think most games are NOT made to make us see what we see with the naked eye. On the contrary. Next-gen is all about things looking 'better' as in the movies. Lens flare, bloom and HDR are artistic effects inspired by movies and indeed caused by flaws in lenses etc. In real life there is no bloom, HDR or lense flare as there is in nowadays next-gen games. In films there is. And most game developers and videocard developers want everything to look as shiny and cool as it does in the movies, not as it does in real life. When a game looks just as good or as real as a movie, we think it IS real because a movie IS real... or at least, so we think... Don't forget that most movies don't look real either...! Most movies have processed colors etc. and look NOTHING like the real thing. Ever watched a 'making of' documentary of a movie where they used regular video camera shots from behind the scenes? Did you notice how 'normal' these shots look unlike the shots we see in the movie of the same scene? More often than not the filmscenes look totally different than what the naked eye sees. But this is what we have grown accustomed to. And this is what the gamers want to see in their games because to them that IS real.

This is not only an improvement on sky and ground lighting, it has helped tremendously with the VC lighting in my addon aircraft. The Maddog 2008 has never looked so good; I'll never remove this effect from my system. My .dll never shuts off either, so I can't explain why it happens to others just by changing views.Curt