Sign in to follow this  
tfm

Black/disappearing textures? Some bizarre news ...

The bufferpool adjustment may work for some, but as Skypirate reported earlier it does not work for all. I will have to try this as well to see how it goes.
It worked great for me when I used it, but even though "Eye candy" may not be important to some, it is to me and there is a noticable hit to distant terrain. I also ending up using a rather large buffer by the time I got the results I needed.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

After getting sick and tired of blackscreens and VC's disappearing on me, and airports disappearing after long flights, I jumped ship and went to XP 64. Now, no matter how many times I atl-tab I never get black screens anymore. However, I still cannot fly long haul flights on the PMDG 747 due to FSX flat out freezing up the entire system, making it completely unresponsive, and I have to shut down the machine. FSX runs just fine, but after three hours it seems, the machine freezes up. I have a i7 975 with 6gb of memory, overclocked to 4Ghz, temperatures are good, yet I still cannot fly the 747 on a long haul flight.Anybody with advice, divine inspiration, anything that could help, because I am just getting tired of messing around trying to get this game to work the way it should, and fly a route that is more than just 2 hours long.Thanks in advance.Scott

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

After getting sick and tired of blackscreens and VC's disappearing on me, and airports disappearing after long flights, I jumped ship and went to XP 64. Now, no matter how many times I atl-tab I never get black screens anymore. However, I still cannot fly long haul flights on the PMDG 747 due to FSX flat out freezing up the entire system, making it completely unresponsive, and I have to shut down the machine. FSX runs just fine, but after three hours it seems, the machine freezes up. I have a i7 975 with 6gb of memory, overclocked to 4Ghz, temperatures are good, yet I still cannot fly the 747 on a long haul flight.Anybody with advice, divine inspiration, anything that could help, because I am just getting tired of messing around trying to get this game to work the way it should, and fly a route that is more than just 2 hours long.Thanks in advance.Scott
Scott - This sounds to me like an unstable overclocking issue. What happens if you run at default settings?TimPS: It doesn't sound as if your "new" problem has anything to do with the black/disappearing textures issue so you might not attract help from the right quarters if you stick with this thread: you might want to start a fresh thread for that reason.

I too am victim to this phenomenon! I have tried pressing q before entering a menu, and it worked quite well for a day and now I can't even load fsx without the aircraft preview box being black!The big problem I have with this issue is, I can't even go into a menu to change fuel or pax/cargo loads with out it going to a black screen upont return to the sim! This has made my sim sim relatively unsuable for what I do. I am going to try to uninstall everything and re- install each program one by one to see if I can find the problem!Please don't laugh at me for this question, Where do I find the fsx cfg file? I have looked everywhere and cant find it! I would like to try the bufferpool trick to see if that helps! I use vista hp 64, and my spec are in my signature I fly in full screen and never alt-tab out of the sim. Only happens when I try to watch a replay or change weather,fuel,fltpln,aircraft ect!

Where do I find the fsx cfg file?
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Guest Wedge2566

I solved the AC becon/strobe/wingtip lights not working in DX10 by installing A2A 3D Lights Redux. It looks fantastic!![LIGHTS]//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logolight.0 = 1, 1.15, 0.51, 9.32, fx_shockwave_beaconh_lowl // Red beacon above fuselagelight.1 = 1, -11.10, -0.15, -2.57, fx_shockwave_beaconb_lowl // Red beacon below fuselagelight.2 = 2, -18.63, -51.75, 1.74, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm_2_nl // left wingtip strobe (leading edge)light.3 = 2, -17.93, 51.63, 1.74, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm_2_nl // right wingtip strobe (leading edge)light.4 = 2, -21.60, -51.97, 1.73, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm_2_nl // left wingtip strobe (trailing edge)light.5 = 2, -21.06, 51.84, 1.73, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm_2_nl // right wingtip strobe (trailing edge)light.6 = 3, -18.18, -51.75, 1.74, fx_shockwave_navred // left wingtip red navlight (leading edge)light.7 = 3, -18.08, 51.63, 1.74, fx_shockwave_navgre // right wingtip green navlight (leading edge)light.8 = 3, -21.30, -51.93, 1.73, fx_shockwave_navwhi // left wingtip white navlight (trailing edge)light.9 = 3, -21.06, 51.80, 1.73, fx_shockwave_navwhi // right wingtip white navlight (trailing edge)light.10 = 3, 27.60, -4.90, 0.49, fx_shockwave_navwhi_l_old // Left ext. flood lightlight.11 = 3, 27.20, 4.50, 0.51, fx_shockwave_navwhi_l_old // Right ext. flood lightlight.12 = 4, 60.00, -1.20, 4.00, fx_S80Provclite1 // Cockpit lighting (original)light.13 = 4, 60.00, 1.20, 4.00, fx_S80Provclite1 // Cockpit lighting (original)light.14 = 5, -18.25, -50.75, 0.90, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow // left wingtip landing lightlight.15 = 5, -18.25, 50.75, 0.90, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow // right wingtip landing lightlight.16 = 6, 65.00, 0.20, -2.90, fx_shockwave_landing_light_double_small // nosewheel taxi lightlight.17 = 9, -56.30, -3.30, 13.20, fx_S80Prologo // left logo lightlight.18 = 9, -56.30, 3.00, 13.20, fx_S80Prologo // right logo light

Guest Wedge2566

So what is the conclusion/possible solution?Bufferpools to 0?nHancer vs Nvidia control?system Memory vs GPU?Locking frame rates at 26?

So what is the conclusion/possible solution?Bufferpools to 0?nHancer vs Nvidia control?system Memory vs GPU?Locking frame rates at 26?
There are many different solutions such as tweaking bufferppols, changing sound frequency, and so on. Locking the frame rate is not a solution, and locking frames is not a solution. He was saying that is how he got his sim to be stable and smooth. The post was to show why the problem was happening not how. We already know the how part. :(

Guest Wedge2566

Rgr that gman.So far so good for me on my end. I just finished another flight without any issues. I am finally sitting down and enjoying these wonderful highly detailed aircraft without any "roadblocks."1. Im using DX10 preview.2. "Fixing" airport flickers if I notice them on any frequent airports I visit.3. I'm using A2A 3D Lights - all strobe, wing, nose, nav, becon lights show in all views while in DX10 preview now because of this awesome addon.4. All other settings are set to NickN standards found here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041I did not modify the cfg with any bufferpool setting and my sound is set to DVD quality.I have yet to "fix" the rain and snow issue while in DX10 preview, but I do not plan on flying in any adverse weather conditions until I am fully comfortable with the 747-400X and the Super 80 Pro. Needless to say it will be awhile...lol.

I'm surprised that with all these great developers we have, no one has a sure way to fix this problem. I can cause corrupted textures and black screens with FSDreamteam KJFK, UT 2 and all my add on aircraft. S80 Pro, Level D, CS 757 and Ariane 737. This only happens in dusk and dawn. Its frustrating because in my standard aircraft it i cant cause it to happen. Could their be something with the sound of add on aircraft??? Using DX10 doesn't always work due to the flickering textures, especially with add on airports. I just hope that one of the developers takes time to solve this problem. Granted i don't have a PMDG plane but i will buy the 737 as well as the 777 so i hope they take time to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Nick Running

1. Im using DX10 preview.2. "Fixing" airport flickers if I notice them on any frequent airports I visit.3. I'm using A2A 3D Lights - all strobe, wing, nose, nav, becon lights show in all views while in DX10 preview now because of this awesome addon.4. All other settings are set to NickN standards found here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041
The flickering airports can be fixed and the rain/snow is fixed very elegant...But David, have you figured a way to control the AA in DX10 preview? Turns out with DX10 the nHancer looses the Anti Aliasting control over the FSX and this makes some of the scenery objects to look silly (like the trees for example). For me that is the major drawback of the DX10. The other is the odd looking shallow waters (e.g. coral reefs)... In DX10 preview they look so bright and UFO blue I can't stand them. The REX2 texture update did not fix that. Any ideas?

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Guest Wedge2566

SkyPirate,I havent noticed the tree issue just yet because I have been doing flights at dusk and into the night trying to reproduce the black screen/texture issue. Also, All my flights are either on the Pacific coast to south eastern US - I have not flown in any tropical waters that show coral reefs. Even if the trees do not look right I really do not have a choice when it comes to using PMDG/Super 80 Pro AC. If I know I will be doing some VFR flights in a C172 or the Kodiac Quest then I will just uncheck the DX10 Preview.