Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Captain Sim 727

Given how long it's been out, is it worth my money to purchase it? I've heard about bugs, has the latest update fixed them? I'm definitely interested, but need to be sure I'm not going to be wasting my money on it.... Thanks!

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

It's awesome, IMO.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I really love it. Have about 30 hours in it already. It is the most detailed model for FS that I have seen. It is very resource intensive. I'm running it on XP Pro SP3 and I'm not finding bugs, with one exception. Sometimes when I have finished a flight, and hit ESC to exit the flight, FSX just blinks out. I guess this is what some people call a "crash to desktop." It doesn't happen very often and it never happens during a flight, but it has happened on rare occasions when exiting. Aside from that it has been flawless. The cockpit and flight deck of the CS 727 Pro Pack is amazing. Every switch works. Even the flight engineer's panel is fully functional. You can walk through the plane and open doors and overhead storage. I just love it.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I really love it. Have about 30 hours in it already. It is the most detailed model for FS that I have seen. It is very resource intensive. I'm running it on XP Pro SP3 and I'm not finding bugs, with one exception. Sometimes when I have finished a flight, and hit ESC to exit the flight, FSX just blinks out. I guess this is what some people call a "crash to desktop." It doesn't happen very often and it never happens during a flight, but it has happened on rare occasions when exiting. Aside from that it has been flawless. The cockpit and flight deck of the CS 727 Pro Pack is amazing. Every switch works. Even the flight engineer's panel is fully functional. You can walk through the plane and open doors and overhead storage. I just love it.
Yes, that would be called a Crash To Desktop when a game just abruptly quits of its own accord. :)Sounds like it's a green light for me to buy it, then.... :)

I would say so. I think the key to it is in having a very capable computer and video card because it is very demanding on the system. Captain Sim is not known for being very responsive on trouble-shooting, so you are pretty much on your own if you have trouble. There is a help forum for registered users and it can be useful. I think the documentation could be better, but on the other hand, I don't expect a complete course in 727 operations for $35.The other caveat I would offer is that, the plane is a 727. It's state of the art for 1964. The instruments function the way they did on the real plane, and most important of those is the autopilot. It takes some getting used to and learning how it functions. It's not like the standard Bendix/King radio and autopilot stack that appears in so many FS planes. There is no FMC or glass cockpit. There is a GPS pop-up and the plane will respond to a NAV/GPS toggle keystroke if you set one up, but this is a "steam gauge" kind of bird that was designed for radio navigation.

It is a lot of fun. Couple of tips I learned: when you're using the autopilot control, drag up and down relative to your screen, not the orientation of the control in the VC. Also, keep on the throttles coming in and avoid the last flap setting. She will drop like a rock if you are not careful. Set up your VOR to VOR routes in FSX and get ready to fly it old school.

Guest 413X3

But how does it compare to the dreamfleet 727? I wish they updated theirs for FSX. I'd buy it in a heartbeat

I got mine about a month ago. I haven't had much time to fly it because of school and work, but when I did, I enjoyed every minute. The FPS aren't great, but they obliterate the CS757's FPS. I'd put it about where the LDS767's fps are, maybe marginally higher. At least that's how it is on my machine.Some people say it's the best looking VC yet for FSX. I wouldn't agree with that, but it is certainly one of the nicer looking ones. If you're interested in the 727 and you have a decent machine (fast dual or quad core, nice graphics card), go for it. You won't be disappointed.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

The Dreamfleet 727 is a very nice plane. Overall, I'd say the detailing and textures are better on the CS model. The overhead panel in the DF plane is much easier to read. There is no 2D panel in the CS model. The DF model has somewhat more modern instrumentation, like the TCAS and EFIS options. You can literally walk through the entire plane in the CS model, open the lavatory door, emergency doors, engine cowlings, open the "D.B. Cooper stairs," have stewardesses stand at the bottom of the air stairs -- lots of eye candy like that. It isn't necessary but it is kind of cool.

The Dreamfleet 727 is a very nice plane. Overall, I'd say the detailing and textures are better on the CS model. The overhead panel in the DF plane is much easier to read. There is no 2D panel in the CS model. The DF model has somewhat more modern instrumentation, like the TCAS and EFIS options. You can literally walk through the entire plane in the CS model, open the lavatory door, emergency doors, engine cowlings, open the "D.B. Cooper stairs," have stewardesses stand at the bottom of the air stairs -- lots of eye candy like that. It isn't necessary but it is kind of cool.
It's hard to compare DreamFleet with CS, unless you are comparing FS9 versions. DreamFleet does have a good 727, but it needs to be remade for FSX, which I'm pretty sure they don't intend to do.I love Captain Sim's 727 for FSX. CS adds a lot of entertaining eyecandy, but doesn't skimp on realistic functionality.For me with FS9 versions, they are both good, but I prefer DreamFleet's 727.Bob

Yes, I was basically comparing the DF for FS9 to the CS for FSX. Not fair, or course, but that was the question asked and I wanted to point out where the differences were. I agree with you on the the FS9 to FS9 comparison.

The other caveat I would offer is that, the plane is a 727. It's state of the art for 1964. The instruments function the way they did on the real plane, and most important of those is the autopilot. It takes some getting used to and learning how it functions. It's not like the standard Bendix/King radio and autopilot stack that appears in so many FS planes. There is no FMC or glass cockpit. There is a GPS pop-up and the plane will respond to a NAV/GPS toggle keystroke if you set one up, but this is a "steam gauge" kind of bird that was designed for radio navigation.
Yeah, I own both the original CaptainSim 727 for FS9 (or FS2002 updated for FS9, whichever the case may be) and the Dreamfleet 727 for FS9... The original CS727 was good for its day, however the Dreamfleet one did instantly replace it once it became available. The Dreamfleet was, and still is, an awesome plane that I will likely continue to use when flying in FS9 (I'm splitting my FS time between FS9 and FSX at this point since so much of my addons are FS9-only still)..I have yet to try it out, but I went ahead and made the purchase yesterday... :) Only problem was that the online activation didn't work, had to do the offline method...

I really love the CS 727, I am so exited about the cargo version :-)I love to fly not "fully" automated and its more entertaining, but I use also the "cheat" mode with the NAV/GPS switch and the FSX GPS :-)Get it! But be aware you need good hardware....oh I see you got it :-)McDan out

Guest waka172rg

Nice product has anyone put the CS radar in this FSX?CheersBlake