Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Progressive taxi replacement...?

I use DX10 so I do not have progressive taxi. Now I remember reading somewhere some time ago about an addon that lets a little car show you the way around the airport. Anyone knows what I am talking about...? Or does anyone know about another addon that has the same function? Taxiing to the right assigned runway or parking spot is impossible without progressive taxi, so I somply don't do it anymore, but I would like to do it anyway...!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

its called followmehttp://secure.simmarket.com/disposition-followme.phtmli have tried it, but i will still say i prefer to use fscommander moving map for airport taxi, besides showing the way on the ground its also a flight planner and other many good uses.problem with followme is that you have to clear with fsx atc, but i use rc4 atc not fsx, also the followme car can get confused if you dont taxi its way so it just stops.With fscommander you have a moving map of the airport and your plane, find your way around airport easily using top down view. This is what i would recomend as good taxi guide especially if you dont use fsx atc.

An alternative is to press F12 and zoom in or out so that you can see where you are.You can also open a seperate window with this view in it if you want, so it works like an airport diagram.IAN

Thanks, Follow me was what I read about! (I suppose there isn't any freeware that sort of does the same...?)Using F12 to see where you are is nice, but not helpfull if you haven't got a clue where you have to go...

Jeroen,FS Flight Keeper by Thomas Molitor has a map mode which is very helpful when taxiing in FSX while running in DX10 Preview. You have to run in windowed mode to use it. Unless of course, you are running multiple monitors.Regards,Bob

I have follow me. it was something like 10 usd. it works very well and is especially handy taxing in to the gate

I have follow me. it was something like 10 usd. it works very well and is especially handy taxing in to the gate
two disadvantages of follow me are1 - Even if you dont use fsx atc (i use rc4) you still have to clear flight plan and taxi with fsx atc for foolowme to work2 -Sometimes the followme van gets confused if you dont taxi perfect and you have to reset it.However there is no such problem with airport taxi moving map tools like fscommander dbs taxi gpscause they just show you your a/c position as you move round the airport. they are even better thaN fsx progressive taxi cause sometimes even the fsx progressive taxi does not show.

1 - Even if you dont use fsx atc (i use rc4) you still have to clear flight plan and taxi with fsx atc for foolowme to work2 -Sometimes the followme van gets confused if you dont taxi perfect and you have to reset it.
FollowMe2 fixes those, but is still in Beta. I've been in touch with the author recently, though, and I think he's working on it again. It''ll be worth looking out for.RegardsPete

FollowMe2 fixes those, but is still in Beta. I've been in touch with the author recently, though, and I think he's working on it again. It''ll be worth looking out for.RegardsPete
Wow , if i no longer have to clear with fsx atc using followme, that will be great.i currently use fscommander for taxi, fscommander on second screen. Still taxi wouold be far easier and better following a vehicle.thanks for the update..hope existing owners of followme will not have to pay full price.

Wow , if i no longer have to clear with fsx atc using followme, that will be great.i currently use fscommander for taxi, fscommander on second screen. Still taxi wouold be far easier and better following a vehicle.thanks for the update..hope existing owners of followme will not have to pay full price.

We are talking about DBS Studio' Follow Me program?Cute program, sure better than the arrows. BUT it took me two weeks to get it active!!! Their procedures after you place your order are cumbersome and not well explained. I think there are four steps involved. I will be hesitant to order any more of their products. Have to admit they anwered my e-mails, althogh their answers were not clear.

There area couple of follow me programs, the DBS one and one other one, the name of which escapes me. I have the DBS one, and it's not bad, but it doesn't always work and can clash with some other programs on occasion. Not bad for the money (which is not a lot), but it's not perfect, although certainly more convincing than a coloured line on the taxiways.Al

Is the reason that the taxi guide isn't displayed down to the texture not being compatible with DX10?

I use Proflight Emulator Deluxe (PFE) which has a taxi guidance system included. It gives audio instructions and an arrow indicator. About as realistic as you can get.

If you open up a separate window with the top down view you can see the taxi arrows even in DX10.

Cant you just look at the chart when ATC reads out the taxi instructions and do it the old fashioned way, ie the way they do it in real life? I never understood the point of these taxi help gauges.

Cant you just look at the chart when ATC reads out the taxi instructions and do it the old fashioned way, ie the way they do it in real life? I never understood the point of these taxi help gauges.
In r/w aviation, taxying is one of the most difficult parts of a flight, especially if you are either new to an airport, or you get an unexpected tax instruction from ATC (such as they are working on a taxywy that you are used to using at a familiar airport). I can see why people use help gauges, especially if they do not have an airport diagram (you would be insane to fly in the r/w without some form of airport chart, but even with a plethora of charts I have often asked for "progressive taxi"instructions).To add to the post that I am replying to, if someone wants to be challenged (one would assume that we sim because we want to learn), try using FSX ATC as much as possible and use the charts for your airport. You can also get taxi instructions to a specific gate on landing, via a specific route, to give you specific taxi instructions for both landing and takeoff ( seen topic here with a keyword "VIP Airlines").Thanke, Bruce.

No FollowMe program, but don't forget AivlaSofts EFBThis Chart-Program has all charts based on FSX and Navigraph Datas all over the world and of course the airport layouts.You can manually select your taxiways for the current airport and see the guideline on the map.Beside this you see vectors to the runways and a marked vector for your assigned runway, so you can easily pushback to the right direction

No FollowMe program, but don't forget AivlaSofts EFBThis Chart-Program has all charts based on FSX and Navigraph Datas all over the world and of course the airport layouts.You can manually select your taxiways for the current airport and see the guideline on the map.Beside this you see vectors to the runways and a marked vector for your assigned runway, so you can easily pushback to the right direction
I like this very much! :( If they are using Navgraph they should have a good selection of Japanese airport nav charts. I had some from them, but they got deleted. Now i have to pay for them again. :( ...kinda silly I think ...but I guess I should of had a better back up :( I'm also going to looking to that top down extra window with the arrows as mentioned above.

PFE (Pro Flight Emulator) can be very useful for taxi.It has an (optional) addon gauge that provides both visual AND aural taxi instructions.I really like it.It can be a little 'cumbersome' to setup the gauge though.

There area couple of follow me programs, the DBS one and one other one, the name of which escapes me. I have the DBS one, and it's not bad, but it doesn't always work and can clash with some other programs on occasion. Not bad for the money (which is not a lot), but it's not perfect, although certainly more convincing than a coloured line on the taxiways.Al
In reality .. the colored line on the taxiways .. are just moved to a colored line on the taxiway in a windowed box.  Feels like the same convincing imho.   From my standpoint, the main reason to use these tools is when you are in DX10 and can no longer see the taxiway lines.

I like this very much! :( If they are using Navgraph they should have a good selection of Japanese airport nav charts. I had some from them, but they got deleted. Now i have to pay for them again. :( ...kinda silly I think ...but I guess I should of had a better back up :( I'm also going to looking to that top down extra window with the arrows as mentioned above.
Hi,AivlaSoft EFB uses Navigraph FMS data not NDAC data, nor Navigraph charts. The ground charts in EFB are taken from the BGL scenery files in your FSX installation. We feel that best represents the runways / taxiways / parking spots that you have available, rather than what might be "current in the real world."As a "wish I had more time" private pilot, this approach feels more natural to me. The few times I'm at an airport IRL I prefer to have a printed ground chart underneath a transparent overlay on which I mark my taxi path. With EFB, I mark the route that FSX ATC tells me to take... or when I'm using another ATC utility, I make my own path then follow it.