Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Samsung's DYNAMIC CONTRAST mode and ENBSERIES

I also turned off the dynamic contrast when I first got it and calibrated my monitor properly. But I guess I'll give this a shot in FS9. I dont have any software installed but it does come up in the monitor menu, thats the same thing right?
Yes, if you have a Samsung, and it has Dynamic Contrast Mode, that would be correct. What it does is to adjust your contrast setting on the monitor in real-time, and according to what is being displayed on the screen as light areas, vs. darker areas of render. This is why it might get confused with a night scene where the screen for the most part is already dark. There is not too much of an x/y contrast difference on the full render. For this, I do suggest (and I do not use it for full night flying either) that it be used for morning (sunrise REX2 is awesome with this turned on and ENBSeries!!!!) day, dusk (until the screen turns too dark for personal tastes/usage) and then merely turn off the D.C.M. It does not corrupt anything either on your monitor, system, or FSX (or for that matter any software you might wish to use...car racing, train sims, whatever).This finding does not blow you off your chair, lol..but merely enhances the ENBSeries effect and effort. Sunlight will gleam off of your wing struts for instance where it touches the air frame, yet below where there is no sun via cloud, it is a deep depth of color and shadow. It really adds to the perception of 'this is real life' for the old brain to give the thumb's up! :) Having the MAGIC TUNE (trademark of Samsung) software in place is great because it also gives you many other modes at the touch of a cursor mark and button press, and you can switch from them on the fly. I am using the Internet mode (great and easy on the eyes!) right now as I type. Then I use the CUSTOM mode for desktop op's. I then use the GAME mode for night time and the Dynamic Mode for FSX and FS9 at any other time frame of the day. There is a MOVIE mode that really does a nice job of setting up the Samsung to get it ready for that purpose movies, videos, youtube for exampe---so, there is a really good reason to have this MAGIC TUNE software app in place rather than the PITA of having to keep going to the on-board button/menus.Mitch

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 24" LCD P2450H.I'm using the enb mod and the dynamic contrast setting which are good.But. Flying at night tho is a pain because I get horizontal bandings and cartoonish clouds ! Any of you experienced the same and did you manage to improve things with magic tune ?ThanksVic

Are you guys talking about a monitor? or a television? I recently opted to go with a 32" Samsung LCD 1080p television cuz it was 600 bucks vs a 30" monitor that was 1400 bucks. It has the dynamic contrast built into the tv settings and it took me a bit to find a happy medium, but right now I've found that not using enb mod worked better. I get dark darks at night but I was able to adjust the tv's settings to find a happy medium where it looks the most realistic. I like it cuz it doesnt take any cpu/gpu cycles and it works good during the day and night without changing any settings. Using dynamic contrast with Movie settings gave the best results with perhaps a little tweak to the brightness for fine tuning. I also wanted to surf the webs without the whites blinding me.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 24" LCD P2450H.I'm using the enb mod and the dynamic contrast setting which are good.But. Flying at night tho is a pain because I get horizontal bandings and cartoonish clouds ! Any of you experienced the same and did you manage to improve things with magic tune ?ThanksVic
Vic, just use the regular GAMING mode for night flights. That works just great. Use Dynamic Mode for anything else.Mitch
Are you guys talking about a monitor? or a television? I recently opted to go with a 32" Samsung LCD 1080p television cuz it was 600 bucks vs a 30" monitor that was 1400 bucks. It has the dynamic contrast built into the tv settings and it took me a bit to find a happy medium, but right now I've found that not using enb mod worked better. I get dark darks at night but I was able to adjust the tv's settings to find a happy medium where it looks the most realistic. I like it cuz it doesnt take any cpu/gpu cycles and it works good during the day and night without changing any settings. Using dynamic contrast with Movie settings gave the best results with perhaps a little tweak to the brightness for fine tuning. I also wanted to surf the webs without the whites blinding me.
We're taking about Samsung monitors that have both analog and DIGITAL inputs. MAGIC TUNE uses the digital side of a Samsung monitor.

Mitch, would you be so kind and share your ENB .ini content? Would like to try your settings.

Having used the dynamic contrast for a few days, I decided to go back to my normal settings. A properly configured monitor looks more true to life in my opinion, at least on my set up. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mitch, would you be so kind and share your ENB .ini content? Would like to try your settings.
Here it is, Word Not Allowed;----------------------------------------------------------------[PROXY]EnableProxyLibrary=0InitProxyFunctions=1ProxyLibrary=[GLOBAL]UseEffect=1AlternativeDepth=1AllowAntialias=0BugFixMode=0SkipShaderOptimization=0QuadVertexBuffer=0EnableShaders_3_0=1AdditionalConfigFile=enbseries2.ini[EFFECT]EnableBloom=1EnableOcclusion=0EnableReflection=0EnableMotionBlur=0EnableWater=0EnableShadow=1DepthBias=1EnableDepthOfField=0[iNPUT]KeyUseEffect=123KeyBloom=120KeyOcclusion=121KeyReflection=122KeyCombination=16KeyShadow=119KeyWater=118KeyScreenshot=44KeyShowFPS=106[REFLECTION]ReflectionPower=60ChromePower=60UseCurrentFrameReflection=1ReflectionQuality=1ReflectionSourceSpecular=50ReflectionSourceTFactor=50UseAdditiveReflection=1ReflectionDepthBias=0UseLowResReflection=1ReflectionSinglePass=1UseEnvBump=0EnvBumpAmount=100EnvBumpOffset=100ReflectionFlip=0[bLOOM]BloomPowerDay=18BloomFadeTime=600BloomConstantDay=3BloomQuality=0BloomScreenLevelDay=50BloomCurveDay=7BloomPowerNight=2BloomConstantNight=0 BloomCurveNight=9BloomScreenLevelNight=12BloomAdaptationScreenLevel=80BloomAdaptationMultiplier=45BloomAllowOversaturation=1BloomMaxLimit=57[sSAO]UseFilter=1OcclusionQuality=2FilterQuality=1DarkeningLevel=15BrighteningLevel=20 IlluminationLevel=20 AdditiveIlluminationLevel=18UseAmbientOcclusion=1UseIndirectLighting=1FadeDistance=50UseForAlphaTest=0UseForAlphaBlend=0[colorCORRECTION]DarkeningAmountDay=33ScreenLevelDay=60ScreenLevelNight=14DarkeningAmountNight=-10GammaCurveDay=-2GammaCurveNight=6ColorSaturationDay=2ColorSaturationNight=-1UsePaletteTexture=0[WATER]UseWaterDeep=0WaterDeepness=20WaterQuality=0[sHADOW]ShadowFadeStart=40ShadowFadeEnd=80ShadowAmountDay=50ShadowAmountNight=40ShadowScreenLevelDay=40ShadowScreenLevelNight=30ShadowQuality=1UseShadowFilter=0FilterQuality=2ShadowBlurRange=30[ENGINE]ForceAnisotropicFiltering=1MaxAnisotropy=16ForceDisplayRefreshRate=0DisplayRefreshRateHz=60[MOTIONBLUR]MotionBlurQuality=0MotionBlurVelocity=0MotionBlurRotation=0[PERPIXELLIGHTING]SpecularColorMin=0SpecularColorMax=100SpecularColorMultiplier=100SpecularGlossinessMin=0SpecularGlossinessMax=100SpecularGlossinessMultiplier=100[DEPTHOFFIELD]DOFQuality=2DOFNumberOfPasses=1DOFFocusRange=50DOFBlurinessRange=10

Mitch,I just noticed this thread and went to the Samsung site and saw my monitor wasn't on the list as ones that the software is compatible with, so upon further reading I noticed on my monitor that it already has Dynamic Contast settings built in. I never noticed it before you posted about it. I guess thats the reason the software isn't needed since the monitor already has it, I just got the monitor new a few months ago an am guessing its a standard feautre now.Like you I was using the ENB bloom but with dynamic contrast turned on it really looks even better in the day. I also turn on MagicColor Intelligent for day use along with MagicBright Dynanic Contrast.However in the middle of this I tested at night and it was no good, even with the ENB turned off, but that lead me to discover an even better setting for me at night, which was to turn off ENB, Dynamic Contrast, and Magic Bright Intelligent and turn on the MagicBright Text setting for night use. Now the nights look even better than they did with ENB on and Dynamic Contrast off.Thanks for bringing these setting to my attention. Funny thing about monitors is that when I get them I usually just plug in, adjust the main basic settings like color, contrast, and brightness, then move on. Not once did I even notice these settings on my monitor.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator