Sign in to follow this  

Not again feelthere!

I have no affiliation with Feeltyhere or Wilco but, IMHO, you are being paranoid. Asking for your real name is NOT unusual. Now if they asked for a SS# or somethaing that IS sensitive, that's different.You will find that many, if not most, support forums require a real name.Vic
Are you sure about that or maybe you don't quite understand what I said?Most forums, including this one don't require that the users real identity be displayed in their signature or avatar. They only require the users real name to be held privatley. Of course, if the user wishes to air this information, a lot forums wouldn't stop it, though a lot would advise the user of the risks attached in doing so, some would prohibit it completely for safety reasons.This is a world of difference when compared to what I was told on FeelTheres forum; that "we talk with our real names on this forum, not handles". First time I've encountered a forum that makes such a demand in nearly 10 years of surfing the web.Infact a well known software company, Blizzard Entertainment recently caused a huge backlash about the same thing, to which they soon changed the policy after a barrage of negativity and threats of Data Protection breeches swarmed them. i'm in the UK and there has been previous mention of Section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 which may be considered in breech with users being forced to air sensitive data in this fashion.So, I would ask again, is this a requirement that is built into the FeelThere EULA (or equivelant), that to obtain support by posting on a semi open forum, the user must have his real name on display?And no, in reply to your sarcastic comment about me, or anybody else who has reservations about airing sensitive data in this fashion on full display on the internet, I'm not paranoid, I just protect sensitive information when I can. I see no logical reason why such a requirement would be made, in a a Flight Simulation Forum which is moderated by the developement team, a forum where the level of trolling, flaming etc would be minimal anyway given the very niche area the forum would occupy (when compared to somewhere like Blizzard Entertainment (World of Warcraft) and nearly 11 million subscribers, where even they changed the policy fast because the userbase did not agree with it).Thanks,

I'm sorry "ceem" but welcome to the Internet! It's the twenty first century and I could find out a lot more information about you then just your name. I don't see anything unreasonable about asking for you to use your name, or maybe to prevent piracy. It's their way of trying to remain professional and address a person. I do agree you are being a bit paranoid but what can I say.I'm a bit confused as to how your name could be classified as "sensitive information".

Fort Lauderdale Executive (FXE) - PPL ASEL

i9 12900k @ 5.2 - 32 GB DDR5 @ 6000 - 3080TI - W11

Hi, I made a post on your support forum and was quickly told I had to include my real name in the signature of my avatar etc. I am not a paid customer i was looking for pre sales advice.Can you explain why users are forced to broadcast private inormation in this manner just to be able to post on a semi open forum, where sensitive data and data protection should be paramount?Is this odd rule carried foward when a purchase is made? Thanks,
Well, basically cause I like to know who I am dealing with. Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to open my reply with 'Hello <insert name here>' and not with Hello AirbusA320-FO-EFFAH-BlTcH3ZZ' or what ever your incognito name is. I don't ask for your social security number, your creditcard number or whatever, not even your full name ; simply your first name, so I can address you properly. I ask the same from the people that work for McPhat, so our users, customers can address US in a real, grown up manner. For all I care you say your name is John, there's no way of checking anyways but at least let me call you by a normal name, instead of some nickname...Call it courtesy and since you're coming to my 'house', I ask you to live by my 'rules' , as I will live by your 'rules' when I come to your 'house'.Don't worry about your privacy by the way, people may still like to believe they can be anonymous, but that ship has sailed long, long time ago...;) Those who really want to know who you are, already know or have simple ways of finding out. I don't care what you look like or what you do, or who you hang out with, what you buy, how much you earn, what shady things you might be up to, I just want to address you and communicate with you as two grown up people...

Anyway, I only tried to say that no addon for FSX is perfect, but that doesn't stop me from buying and greatly enjoying them :(
Agreed! As a person with a mild case of OCD (ask any developer I have beta tested for), I can attest that "searching for perfection" will ruin this hobby for somebody. It almost did for me. In fact, it got to a point to where if I found one small issue with an aircraft, I would refuse to fly it, no matter how much it cost me. I would flat out not use it. Only when I came to terms with the fact that "nothing is perfect" did I start to enjoy FSX again.
Are you sure about that or maybe you don't quite understand what I said?Most forums, including this one don't require that the users real identity be displayed in their signature or avatar. They only require the users real name to be held privatley. Of course, if the user wishes to air this information, a lot forums wouldn't stop it, though a lot would advise the user of the risks attached in doing so, some would prohibit it completely for safety reasons.This is a world of difference when compared to what I was told on FeelTheres forum; that "we talk with our real names on this forum, not handles". First time I've encountered a forum that makes such a demand in nearly 10 years of surfing the web.Infact a well known software company, Blizzard Entertainment recently caused a huge backlash about the same thing, to which they soon changed the policy after a barrage of negativity and threats of Data Protection breeches swarmed them. i'm in the UK and there has been previous mention of Section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 which may be considered in breech with users being forced to air sensitive data in this fashion.So, I would ask again, is this a requirement that is built into the FeelThere EULA (or equivelant), that to obtain support by posting on a semi open forum, the user must have his real name on display?And no, in reply to your sarcastic comment about me, or anybody else who has reservations about airing sensitive data in this fashion on full display on the internet, I'm not paranoid, I just protect sensitive information when I can. I see no logical reason why such a requirement would be made, in a a Flight Simulation Forum which is moderated by the developement team, a forum where the level of trolling, flaming etc would be minimal anyway given the very niche area the forum would occupy (when compared to somewhere like Blizzard Entertainment (World of Warcraft) and nearly 11 million subscribers, where even they changed the policy fast because the userbase did not agree with it).Thanks,
Your name does not fall under the classification of "sensitive information". On a side note, other developers require you to use your name as well, PMDG, IIRC, being one of them.I, personally, like it when a developer addresses me by my name. It shows professionalism, and in a way, comes across as more personal service.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I bought some of their products, and received top notch help with my queries ( Including some very silly questions on my behalf).It may not always be what you want to hear, but they do try their best in assisting people.I have used the original Embraer on w7 64 bit with no issues, and do not see why this would be different.I enjoy it thoroughly, and will get this one in a few weeks time.As far as privacy is concerned, your first name is not that big of a deal. Terrence has always mentioned the fact that he likes to address people by their first names.As far as anonymity is concerned, you lost that the minute you were introduced into this world (in this day and age).

Waleed N

Hey Waleed,Funny story : First thing I thought when we were composing the livery listing for the base package was : With the two Royal Jordanian liveries (175 and 195) in the base pack and not in one of the World Airliners boxes, we lost Waleed as a customer... Hahahaha.When you get it, enjoy!

Hey Waleed,Funny story : First thing I thought when we were composing the livery listing for the base package was : With the two Royal Jordanian liveries (175 and 195) in the base pack and not in one of the World Airliners boxes, we lost Waleed as a customer... Hahahaha.When you get it, enjoy!
I will, as soon as I get my fsx up and running fully again.I figured they were in the base package (Tail, and wing view shots).

Waleed N

Agreed! As a person with a mild case of OCD (ask any developer I have beta tested for), I can attest that "searching for perfection" will ruin this hobby for somebody. It almost did for me. In fact, it got to a point to where if I found one small issue with an aircraft, I would refuse to fly it, no matter how much it cost me. I would flat out not use it. Only when I came to terms with the fact that "nothing is perfect" did I start to enjoy FSX again.Your name does not fall under the classification of "sensitive information". On a side note, other developers require you to use your name as well, PMDG, IIRC, being one of them.I, personally, like it when a developer addresses me by my name. It shows professionalism, and in a way, comes across as more personal service.
That's fine in a private mode of communication, this is a public forum, you don't know who is reading what you post. You would be surprised at what information can be garnered with just a name! Especially if some general location info can be obtained. General rule of thumb on the internet from a security stand point is you don't give any personal information about yourself in public. Chief among those is Name, Address, tel# number and of course no financial info. You may trust PMDG with this info, but they may not be the only ones interested. I don't have a problem with first names, but asking for full names in a public forum is not a good idea. I know why PMDG does it. By having their support forum here they don't have access to posters full names internally like they would if they had their own forum. So they have to make sure they are not giving support to pirates.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Calling for boycott and attempting to hurt Wilco/FT in the marketplace because you are not satisfied is BS.Who made you the consumer protection agent for flight simmers? Get a grip on reality. Yes I have reported you to the mods. :(
Why would you "report him to the mods?" First, if he feels strongly about something he is well within his right AND well within Avsim policy to express them. He used no profanity and he made no personal attacks...so what are you reporting to the mods about? Secondly, it is up to each individual person to decide what one does with the information at hand and with their own hard earned dollars. You don't have to agree with him and you don't even have to respect his opinion, but you DO have to respect his right to express an opinion even if it is contrary to yours. A person who calls for a boycott is irrelevant if no one shows up to it. Please point me to the "No Boycotting" regulations on the Avsim forums that prompted YOU to notify the moderator.People are passionate about this hobby. Passion swings both ways. So is it now the policy that we can only be passionately positive about something but not passionately negative as long as its within the confines of civility? I don't think its your place to decide if HIS FEELINGS about something are over the top or not because your reaction then becomes as equally "absurd" as his. If you recall...Avsim was so passionate about our hobby that they called for a BOYCOTT for FS98.

Its probably not an optimal place to ask this, but since I was reading the thread and Terrence is lurking....What's the deal with the "32 bit only" support, I was primed to buy this, then I noticedthat, and I've been running x64 for ages. In fact, I have no problem with the originalE-Jets, or 737 PIC, or the ERJ 145 v2 on 64bit, so I just don't understand why you guyskeep saying its not supported?Oh, and your products are all great in my book! Cheers!!

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

Why would you "report him to the mods?" First, if he feels strongly about something he is well within his right AND well within Avsim policy to express them. He used no profanity and he made no personal attacks...so what are you reporting to the mods about? Secondly, it is up to each individual person to decide what one does with the information at hand and with their own hard earned dollars. You don't have to agree with him and you don't even have to respect his opinion, but you DO have to respect his right to express an opinion even if it is contrary to yours. A person who calls for a boycott is irrelevant if no one shows up to it. Please point me to the "No Boycotting" regulations on the Avsim forums that prompted YOU to notify the moderator.People are passionate about this hobby. Passion swings both ways. So is it now the policy that we can only be passionately positive about something but not passionately negative as long as its within the confines of civility? I don't think its your place to decide if HIS FEELINGS about something are over the top or not because your reaction then becomes as equally "absurd" as his. If you recall...Avsim was so passionate about our hobby that they called for a BOYCOTT for FS98.
Bravo! At last somebody has made a sane statement instead.Well stated Mike T.

Terrence is lurking....
just to be clear so folks undersand areas of 'responsiblity': terrence is with McPhat Studios. the systems modeling of the ejets is not 'mcphat's thing'. the external/internal model and panel systems are feelThere. McPhat does the 'skin' for the model/aircraft.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

That's fine in a private mode of communication, this is a public forum, you don't know who is reading what you post. You would be surprised at what information can be garnered with just a name! Especially if some general location info can be obtained. General rule of thumb on the internet from a security stand point is you don't give any personal information about yourself in public. Chief among those is Name, Address, tel# number and of course no financial info. You may trust PMDG with this info, but they may not be the only ones interested. I don't have a problem with first names, but asking for full names in a public forum is not a good idea. I know why PMDG does it. By having their support forum here they don't have access to posters full names internally like they would if they had their own forum. So they have to make sure they are not giving support to pirates.
I don't know of any FS development group that requires your first and last name on their forum. FT sure doesn't, at least not that I have ever seen. All they have ever said is you must sign in with your real name. As you already know, first name alone does not qualify as sensitive information. I would think most people would not post their first and last name randomly on the internet. With regards to the whole boycotting discussion, the only difference between whining and activism is the size of your audience. Think I heard that on an AM radio show a few weeks back. lol

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

That's fine in a private mode of communication, this is a public forum, you don't know who is reading what you post. You would be surprised at what information can be garnered with just a name! Especially if some general location info can be obtained. General rule of thumb on the internet from a security stand point is you don't give any personal information about yourself in public. Chief among those is Name, Address, tel# number and of course no financial info. You may trust PMDG with this info, but they may not be the only ones interested. I don't have a problem with first names, but asking for full names in a public forum is not a good idea.
And that is EXACTLY my point Thomas...I found your fill name, your address, and a picture of you all within 1 minute. Just by googlin' your nickname, finding your .com website, and slammin' that into whois.com. Imagine what someone could do with some real 'power', I'm just a guy that likes photoshoppin'. And that is exactly my point, and what I stated earlier : It doesn't matter how icognitio 007 you THINK you are, those who REALLY want to know who you are, already know... And if not, they have their means of finding out in a whiff, probably without too much effort. And they sure don't even need your first name for that. So you (people in general) might as well get off it (i.e. the whole I-want-to-be-anonymous-and-therefore-guard-my-privacy), cause there's no darn use anyway...That ship has sailed, came back into port and sailed out again....Besides, what is it that people want to hide anyways? You can google me, find a gazillion of hits, things I said, how I look, you can see where I am, where I go to (thanks Foursquare), how long I am there, I don't care, I have nothing to hide. People may read what I post, they may link it to a digital personality, they may make up their minds about me, as I say nothing stupid (or at least, I try not to :()Like I said in my previous post : It's my house, you live by my rules. So if I want you to use your 'real' FIRST name on our forums, that is what will happen. If not : You are not welcome in 'my house', you don't get support, or you don't get your pre-sales question answered. Money does not make me change my ethics about wanting to address people in a polite manner..By the way, support you can always get, if you don't want to use our forum because you don't want to use your first name, there's email, there's a chat functionality, there's private messages, you can tweet me, skype me, facebook me. Hell, if beepers and faxes weren't such a drag....:wink:So people, just sign your your posts with your name when being asked. Those who ask, probably don't care who you are or what you do, and those who don't ask, probably already know who you are and what you do...