Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jagsilverfox

Start locks... again!

Hi all! For some reason, when i try to hold the unfeather switch to left or right, it will not stay on any selected position. It will return to it's middle position (off) after about one second.That makes the task of unfeathering the props an impossible proposition. Any help will be appreciated. Tx, Al.

But You don't need to hold it that way, just switch it and wait few seconds.Cheers.biggrin.gifPS: We have some cool rule here wink.gif

But You don't need to hold it that way, just switch it and wait few seconds.Cheers.biggrin.gifPS: We have some cool rule here wink.gif
tried that, don't work and how the hell do i put a "signature"?

tried that, don't work and how the hell do i put a "signature"?
What you describe in your first post is how the switch is supposed to work (move back into the mid position after about one second). Do you have your power levers pulled all the way back when you use the switch?

Hi Al, thanks for adding signature! Are You sure that your props are not currently unfeathered? Here You'll find great tutorial on proper start-up procedure, You should also make sure to load Your J41 from default trike, or as I do it, by double clicking the saved flight file.

Oh, they are feathered for sure, power plants won't start. But i got the left prop unfeathered, finaly, but not the right one (?) and got the left power plant going. So; i'm suppose to unfeather one prop at a time or does selecting left and then right without waiting affects something? And yes, my throttles are at full reverse when i try to unfeather. And no i load a saved flight from st-marteen right after i start FSX. So you say i should load default fligfht and then my saved flight? I'll try that.Tx for all the quick help guys.Al.

Hi Al, thanks for adding signature! Are You sure that your props are not currently unfeathered? Here You'll find great tutorial on proper start-up procedure, You should also make sure to load Your J41 from default trike, or as I do it, by double clicking the saved flight file.[/qSorry Sir! I just saw your link. Tx It answers my questions!

Aaaaarrrgghhh! Don't work! Can't get the props to unfeather. I followed intructions to the letter. I mean, if can fly in real life, why can't i get the thing to work?Anybody else has the same problem? (so i feel less stupid)

Hey Al,here is what I do to avoid the need to use the unfeather switches. When the plane loads and I hear the engines spinning down, I put my throttles into reverse until the sound stops. This will give me the props in the right position.

Aaaaarrrgghhh! Don't work! Can't get the props to unfeather. I followed intructions to the letter. I mean, if can fly in real life, why can't i get the thing to work?
Are you loading the JS41 from a saved flight? If so, this may be worth a try:1) Load the default Trike at your departure airport and gate and shut it down2) Load the JS4100 from the menus ("Aircraft", "Select aircraft")3) Power up the plane4) Use your mouse to pull the power levers all the way back. Now try the unfeathering.

Be aware that once you have the blades flat (unfeathered) they won't stay there long unless they are on the locks. The hydraulic pressure used to move them to flat will drain off and the blades may feather again before you get the engine spun up. Therefore, if you have to use the pump then I suggest you work one side at a time.

I see a few pilots here!Ok, so, the thing is, when i try to unfeather, nothing moves. I go to outside view and wait, and wait, and wait... nothing. beside that, if i use the cold and dark situation or whatever else, the plane works perfectly. It just peeves me that i can't do that simple procedure in case the power plants were not shut down properly (wich is the case for that saved flight).Anyway, i'll try the other tricks you guys wrote. Tx for all the quick answers.

Al, I feel your pain. With about 1500 hours in real a/c, all recips., I bought this sim thinking there couldn't be much difference between recips an turbo-props. Was I surprised, and not pleasantly. It took me about a week and plenty of hours to get the engines fired up (without catching fire:mad:). I refused to even taxi until I mastered that one thing.OThere are a couple of really good engine start checklists posted on this forum. The Pilot Tutorial and Pilot's Operating Manual are not linear enough for me.The best thing I've found for Cold and Dark is a LUA script on the FSUIPC support forum. You might give it a look.Good luck

Al, I feel your pain. With about 1500 hours in real a/c, all recips., I bought this sim thinking there couldn't be much difference between recips an turbo-props. Was I surprised, and not pleasantly. It took me about a week and plenty of hours to get the engines fired up (without catching fire:mad:). I refused to even taxi until I mastered that one thing.OThere are a couple of really good engine start checklists posted on this forum. The Pilot Tutorial and Pilot's Operating Manual are not linear enough for me.The best thing I've found for Cold and Dark is a LUA script on the FSUIPC support forum. You might give it a look.Good luck
Yeah, but all i ever did in the Air Force was turbine! But guess what: i found out i have this problem only with my St-Marteen saved flight! I tried the PMDG cold and dark situation and i can feather and unfeather at will!?!?! So, i guess i will dump my st-Marteen flight and start from scratch and see what happen. So i was doing it right after all!What a strrange bug...Tx again every one for your kind (and fast!) help!

I have been following this thread and one of the first things I thought of was a corrupt saved flight but also am not as familiar as the others are on this particular bird and thought it must be something else, Oh well glad you got it resolved and yes, complex aircraft saved flights get corrupt easily, but mainly when they are set as your saved default flight (never do that,,, ever :().Glad you found the problem Al.

I have been following this thread and one of the first things I thought of was a corrupt saved flight but also am not as familiar as the others are on this particular bird and thought it must be something else, Oh well glad you got it resolved and yes, complex aircraft saved flights get corrupt easily, but mainly when they are set as your saved default flight (never do that,,, ever :().Glad you found the problem Al.
Dan, you were right! It IS a corrupt saved flight. Wanna know why? Because i'm lazy, that's why! here's what i think happened : I saved a flight with my J41 at St-Marteen. Both are add ons. I unistalled all my add ons and FSX, and re-installed evrything on my new hard drive (1000 gigs!) but... i copied my saved flight to save time and put them on the freshly installed FSX, thinking nothing of it. Guess it doesn't work that way with addons, as you said!Sooooo, mistery solved! My bad!Al.

Hi Al, Just to add some info I've learned about saved defaults. One thing about a saved default is FSX tries to load it as FSX starts up and with addons such as PMDG's aircraft, there are lots to load and FSX fails to load everything sometimes. One thing I also noticed is sometimes the aircraft appears to be loaded fine, but then something stupid will happen like none of the lights work. Another problem is what some people have seen with the 747's smoking engines or stretched fuselage in spot view. This happens a lot when someone has say a PW model as their saved flight, then after FSX loads up, change the aircraft to another PW model.Saved defaults also have wreaked havoc to the weather engine (default and addons). I have saved many flights in the past as default and had the weather clash with what I changed it to. For instance, I was practicing crosswind landings a while back and had a saved flight with severre thunderstorms with about 10 knots of crosswind for my airport of choice. I of course didn't fly that saved default every time and normally after FSX loaded went into each category and changed each thing. Since most of the time I flew with RW weather, I started to notice that although the weather changed with each flight, I still had distant thunder and lightning. At first I thought it wasn't a glitch and there were just storms in the distance but soon saw it was allll the time no matter where I went and what conditions.So what I've learned is, A.- Never have a complex aircraft as your default.B.- Always have Clear weather set for the weather option in a saved default (if not, you should clear all weather with FSUIPC, then load your weather addon of choice).Anywho, just thought I would share some more info on the matters that can be expected with saved defaults.It's an enigma all wrapped up in a conundrum!

I see a few pilots here!Ok, so, the thing is, when i try to unfeather, nothing moves. I go to outside view and wait, and wait, and wait... nothing. beside that, if i use the cold and dark situation or whatever else, the plane works perfectly. It just peeves me that i can't do that simple procedure in case the power plants were not shut down properly (wich is the case for that saved flight).Anyway, i'll try the other tricks you guys wrote. Tx for all the quick answers.
Do you hear some engine sound. Sometimes my plane starts cold and dark, but I hear engines running. Try do push the two stop switches at the overhead. (the the sound stops and I can start.Maybe that helps.Ericedit. Whoops too late. Problems solved. I should havr read first to the end.....:(