Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG 737 NGX: PMDG's attitude toward realism

<BR>I agree with Doug on the manuals in that I did not buy them for the MD11 but will be buying them for the NGX. I'm glad to see they'll be available and also cheaper is always good. ... I still prefer pdf's since it searches for things much faster than I ever will be able to but looking forward to designating a shelf just for these babies.<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>I'm not suggesting, btw, that the manuals pdfs aren't still of value. But, I think there is some value in a nicely bound manual where you can flip to, say, an emergency checklist, when the engine catches on fire or something. The PDF/searching is useful if you are looking for something specific, like say, how to tune the radios.

That pic looks sweet! That had to be a 3DS max or similar render shot I'm guessing. If not then I really need to tweak my FSX.cfg!But I agree, having them available as wallpapers would be pretty cool to run as a slide show screensaver or something.
if i remember correctly, they put them on the MD11 store page before release, and i think they were taken down at the latest website update (J41 release time? :s). Would be sweet to have them plus some NGX ones ;)

Just a quicky. Will it have a module like the FS9 737 to use airline prefences? Like white digits and not the old orange one? :)
Did you even notice that the newer style Collins MCP is in the screenshot we posted? That's the default now, but yes the old orange one is there too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Can't wait to see the new features of this failure module. Also glad to hear that the printed manuals are in the works, and that they will be cheaper than the MD-11's. Can't wait to see the final turn out on those. Hopefully they are put up on the site early before release so we have time for them to come in the mail like with the MD-11. Hopefully you had a good sleep before the final testing push begins.

1) 2D panels: The product is currently planned to have some form of 2D panel, but we haven't yet decided on the depth. The 2D panels will be built by rendering out of the VC model, as this is the most effective way to ensure we match the 2D/VC.
This got me extremely worried since I exclusively use 2D panels when I fly. Some questions running through my head are: Will the NGX 2D panel support widescreen? Will the NGX 2D panels be as good as the PMDG 744 2D panels? Will it be high quality 2d panels, so we can use them to fly instead of using the VC?Would appreciate it if PMDG could shed some light on this topic in the next update, or whenever possible. Thanks,Rob Belach

Guest Caines737

Hello fellowsI really love this work. I am following the progress and looking very forward to the release. I hope it will be released in november, and suppose that. I really like what I am seeing.I like details like different colors in FMC, actual font size and type on the screens, all the complex behaviour from the real 737. I fly regulary the 737 NG on the flight deck because I am producing a cockpit DVD for the Norwegian 737-based company, Norwegian. It will be avail on www.flightsim.no<http://www.flightsim.no/> in november, so I hope you guys will check it out.I am extremely happy to see small details like the new type of fuel indicator, small FMC messages like the one we often see IRL; TAI ON BELOW 10* C :) Be aware of remembering small details as I got for few days ago when we experimented with diff views on the ND (nav display); "EXCESS DATA" in red font. For a few years ago it stood "DATA OVERFLOW" in yellow. Some small things changes over time, and could even be differnt from 737 to 737. I have visited flight deck under the whole flight at many differnt NG`s like LN-TUF, LN-NOE, LN-NOP, LN-TUB, LN-TUA, LN-TUM, LN-RRL, LN-RRE and many more. The last one were LN-NOE and LN-NOP and they had in example the new type of fuel indicators. I could post an image later this evening if it is unclear what I mean with "new type of fuel indicator". But the three round dials are gone, and replayed with three numbers horizontally. I saw that you are showing this type of fuel indiacation. Very nice. Also the vertical profile in the ND you have implementated. Very nice to see features like this. I am sure it is many more sim-pilots out there who have extended 737 NG knowledge from watching cockpit DVD`s or maybe even work inside aviation and has acess to visit the flight deck from time to time.Developers, remember also to implement features in FMS like; Runway SHIFT (shortening), NEAREST AIRPORTS, DES FORECAST (maybe connected to ASV?), possibility to add runway SLOPE for getting exact V speeds and thrust setting. I also see slightly difference at calculated N1 when setting up the machine. RW 19R ESSA ISA DEFAULT CONDITIONS, DRY RUNWAY , 62,5T TOW, 22K DERATE 40TASS gave me 86,5 %N1 when the real airplane gots 88,5% N1 for a few days ago. I am sure you did the NG in 2003 very exactly at that time, but when it doesn`t calc rw length, slope or wind the N1 for sure is calculated with only R-TO and TASS (assumed) taken into consideration.I also the TERR disp function is modelated as the terr is drawed like a rotating radar beam. I really do not know why it is so IRL but it is.I even hope that the engines are slightly different in behaviuor. Some times one engine acellerates a bit faster than the other. (Important to stabilize at 40% when runway is slippery, and the procedures says that you always should let them stabilize before TO thrust is set). They also tend to differ in EGT, VIB and FF, not very much but it is unrealistic to se identical numbers at each side (in a perfect world it would have been so). Older engines tend to vibrate more, use more fuel and become higher EGT than newer). An easy editor could have been set as a stand alone, there user could have set engine parameter for each engine. 0h-200h-400h-800h-1000h opereting time in example to make then differ slightly from each other.¨Remember to have slightly variation in the signal recieved by VOR, LLZ og GS. Mainly thinking about the VOR you can easily see drifting along the scale (compass rose) many times when aircraft stands on ground. RMI needles are often seen turning their own dance. This really gives life to the panel.I am very happy to soon have the possibility to buy a brand new NG for my FSX. It will be the only airliner at my machine, in addition to 737 MELs, SOPs, CBTs and more.

Captains-Since we've been having a conversation about "diving deep into the details" I thought it might be rewarding for those of you who "dive deep into the threads" if we tossed a few full cockpit images down here...We have a full Virtual Cockpit preview thread in the works- but here is just a sample of what you'll be getting in the NGX.Notice the depth of color and texture detail in this VC. With the resources we have throughout the industry- we've been able to gain an unprecedented level of support to help make this simulation as visually appealing as it is deep.Some of my favorite details- (things that make this "feel" like an airplane) are the fingertip oil and surface wearing that is visible on the "six pack" annunciators next to the Caution/Fire lights. You can tell that other crews have been flying and working this cockpit, because traces of the use and wear are evident all over the flight deck....Here is a close-up view of the control stand. Almost looks like you can reach in an touch those levers, doesn't it? Looks at the edges of the seat cushions... the corners of the displays, the FMS keypads... We are pretty happy with the level of detail you are getting- and we haven't put nearly the dent in FPS performance that we had feared. It is still running significantly better than the MD-11...DISCLAIMER: These images are taken from an in-development product. Some things displayed on the screen are incorrect because they aren't complete, or because we have things turned on for trouble-shooting and completion... (Okay- that makes 3 updates in 6 weeks... so I'm averaging once every other week... Big Grin.gif )
Wow, Amazing screenshots ! :( :( :( B) The exit is for October ???

I fly pretty much 100% using the VC (and Track IR) however, having tested the Ariane 737 which doesn't have 2D screens, it was so difficult to use the overhead column (esp the IRS alignment buttons) plus anything else. I'm assuming you guys will be replicating the overhead panel and radio panels in 2D just like in the B744X?

I am extremely happy to see small details like the new type of fuel indicator, small FMC messages like the one we often see IRL; TAI ON BELOW 10* C :)
I think ya mean TAI ON ABOVE 10*C!Jack C

Thanks for the update PMDG staff! I admit I am anxious for the release, but I'd rather know about what progress is made (even if there are delays) than be kept in the dark (i.e. LevelD 757)
What he said. I think PMDG and all the fans here are doing a great job keeping the NGX in people's minds which is the first requirement of marketing - if you hadn't mentioned what you just did I wouldnt have even known the 757 was still coming !Gary

Gary Lowndes

Did you even notice that the newer style Collins MCP is in the screenshot we posted? That's the default now, but yes the old orange one is there too.
I noticed it, I had that shot in the video I made about your awesome aircraft. This is why I love you guys. You think of everything. Will there be an ACARS thing in the FMC like before? I think it would be pretty cool to set up my DVA flights through the fmc. Also, since we are talking about FMC's, how do you insert a Company Route? I can't wait till the next update!!!!!

I have bought every pair of 3D goggles in the past and they were neat but gave me headaches and eye straing. I looked into it again with the much faster refresh rates and think it will be a lot better but how about the density? Meaning that it always looked insanely faded in the past and in a sim type thing, very transparent. I would imagine the 120hz would help this and make it look better but do you have experience with the older (much older actually) models, and could compare?
Dan,I have nothing to compare it to since I have never used any of the older items you mentioned. I can tell you that I am also prone to headaches and found that at the beginning I did get mild headaches after use. After extended use it seems that my eyes got used to it and I no longer have headaches. As for fading I can only say that from my perspective everything is crystal clear. It should be noted that there are some issues with this technology. I don't want to be unbalanced so I should mention it to for others to consider. I do experience a bit of ghosting or what I perceive to be a residual image that is left when switching views from spot to VC or looking around quickly. I noticed that the longer I sit the less this effect gets so extended simming lessens the effect. It is similar to watching a TV and then shutting your eyes and looking at the wall and you still see the image. This is not a fault of the technology, I think. There is also issues with the lighting and landing at night is very uncomfortable . From what I have read the current drivers have no way of rendering the lighting in 3d so you get a very offset view of the lights which is actually quite frustrating. I am hoping that someone will be able to come up with a solution at this point. All in all I am quite impressed with this technology. It makes flying very immersive.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Developers, remember also to implement features in FMS like; Runway SHIFT (shortening), NEAREST AIRPORTS, DES FORECAST (maybe connected to ASV?),
I would love to see the NGX have the DES FORECAST, and even an enroute waypoint "request winds" by the FMC. Which brings up a question I have been pondering....in FSX we can reference an external weather program to find the current waypoint and destination winds/temps and manually type them in the FMC to obtain accurate fuel predictions/ETA at destination. In real life, what do the pilots do? Are they given these figures by radio or ACARS? Or if the FMC is sophisticated, does it request the winds and automatically populate the entries?In the interest of realism, I now tend to populate the wind entries myself, something I used to ignore, and I learned it helps not only for accurate arrival time/fuel predictions, but also makes VNAV perform better if it knows the forecasted weather at the descent phase. It makes quite a difference on long hauls, and sure does break up the monotony!

Damage model for the J-41?? Did I miss something? Except the burning engines I've never got a clue how to break anything on that plane in random order (well there's the FSX menu which sucks).. I hope the random malfunctions option will be there, sure it would be more exciting to depart without really knowing what might go wrong.And regarding the cockpit textures, well an option for the Low-res VC to select for those with slower systems might do. I'm personally putting the preference for ALL-High. Anyway we are changing computers more often than PMDG is releasing new airplanes, so I guess the hardware will make it up to the demands pretty soon.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

The J-41 was going to have a failure system modeled, but they decided to release a "lite" product if you will.. Absent of the failure model due in the interest of getting it to us sooner than if they had of developed the failure model. I imagine that was a pretty intense decision within PMDG, but one I think worked well. The price point of the product was excellent, and I still get a lot of enjoyment out of it even without the failure module like the 744X/MD-11X have. He was just trying to convey that this was the failure system they had hoped to develop for the J-41, but rather got refined further for incorporation into the NGX product.