Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

So how does the PMDG 737NGX compare to...

A few pointers for the PMDG crew :)1. Wimps wait. Revolutionaries release early.2. Failing to scale is excusable. Failing to release is not.3. Don’t hug your software too hard. If you love it, set it free.4. You will more often regret when you were reluctant than when you released.5. At the end of the day…just ship it!6. You don’t get a first chance to make a second impression.6. It’s better to release early, and irritate some users than not release, and not have users at all.7. If it helps you release earlier, know that my software sucks more than yours. 8. Ship it now. Why wait until tomorrow to learn what you can today?9. There are always 10 pretty good reasons not to release. But, they’re not that good — so just release.10. Software in the wild always trumps software in waiting.11. You’re overestimating the degree to which people give a flying flip. Get over yourself and just freakin’ ship it already.12. To succeed, you need to be remarkable. To be remarkable, you actually have to release something.13. Better to release early and be ridiculed than just ridiculed.14. No heroes and legends are created by software that almost shipped.Original source: Revolutionaries Release EarlyOn a more serious note, loving what you guys are doing with the 737NGX (not quite as impressed with the PR posts of late though).Geoff

All very well Geoff but the final comment is, in my opinion, more in the line of thinking of PMDG

If you release early, your will ALWAYS pay a price later...in many cases, the extra bugs, lack of scaling, planned architecure, Q/A, etc will mean more bugs, more support, and more time later cleaning up and fixing software flaws. And those flaws I have found increase with both speed of development and any corners being cut. I have found the opposite...the more love and care and carful attention to architecture, modularization, bug testing, customer attention, reviews and quality of programming translates directly to nearly bug-free and lower cost support. It also translates to higher customer approval and retention and long term branding, based on reputation. If you have a reputation for early releases that carry some errors and issues, that reputation could cut the legs out from under any gains in speed.

Did anyone else notice that some of the titles of the PMDG NGX threads have been changed so now "PMDG 737NGX" can easily be seen in the titles of the threads on the top 5 most viewed list? Just something I thought worth noting! :(

Did anyone else notice that some of the titles of the PMDG NGX threads have been changed so now "PMDG 737NGX" can easily be seen in the titles of the threads on the top 5 most viewed list? Just something I thought worth noting! :(
LOL I never knew what list people were talking about but your post got me searching now and I also found it. Apparently I created the no. 4 most viewed thread (guess I hadn't planned that originally), which actually can't be quite true... since I really can't remember that I had ever written this at all haha...! Then again it's dated back 2003... Again learnt something new. Am I famous now? Big%20Grin.gif (j/k)sig.gif

6. You don’t get a first chance to make a second impression.Geoff
Paradox's! Gotta love 'em.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

I'm looking forward to the release when ever it happens. The amount of work going into this plane is amazing and I'm thankful that it will be finished properly.Soon, we'll be pushing back and flying off to great destinations.

LOL I never knew what list people were talking about but your post got me searching now and I also found it. Apparently I created the no. 4 most viewed thread (guess I hadn't planned that originally), which actually can't be quite true... since I really can't remember that I had ever written this at all haha...! Then again it's dated back 2003... Again learnt something new. Am I famous now? Big%20Grin.gif (j/k)sig.gif
Wow, that dates more than seven years back and contains only 2 pages. Impressive, i will remember you! :(

Of those of you who claim that people should release programs earlier rather than later, what is your opinion on Microsoft?

Kyle Rodgers

Of those of you who claim that people should release programs earlier rather than later, what is your opinion on Microsoft?
If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have a hobby and PMDG wouldn't have a business so yes they release with bugs but in the big scheme of things they delivered FSX and im glad they did because its allowed PMDG to produce some awesome add ons so I wouldnt be too harsh on them.Mike Kendall

I'm hoping William, Kyle and others have realised that the above list of pro-release slogans is just a lighthearted joke about the software development process. Eric seems to have got the gist of it :)Please take your time PMDG!Geoff

I'm hoping William, Kyle and others have realised that the above list of pro-release slogans is just a lighthearted joke about the software development process. Eric seems to have got the gist of it :)Please take your time PMDG!Geoff
I was aware of the intention. The comment was intended to be nothing more or less than the antithesis of any reason for rushing a release.

Gents-(And a few of you who haven't been... tsk tsk...)Just a thought on the debate about release dates (and my apparently ill received humor in posting a "when it is completed" release update! LOL)Now and then, users will ask if we would a ) announce a release date and/or b ) consider pre-selling the NGX and allowing folks to have access to beta versions.From our standpoint- there is one very solid reason for never doing either: Keeping the entire process to ourselves, and under our own control without artificial responsibilities to announced dates or financially invested customers allows us the freedom to work on the project until we feel it is finished.We have had this policy in place for a decade, and it has been a successful one- as our initial release day product quality has improved with each successive major release.To give you an idea- full time development on the NGX started in mid 2008... We anticipated release would take place in late 2009... then early 2010... then April...May...July... You get the picture.I realize that some folks can hardly bear to wait for release day- and this flatters us tremendously- but I promise you that the product will exceed your expectations only if we stick to our own requirements for quality and completeness.The airplane is currently exceeding our own expectations- and we are accelerating toward release... But we wont give her to you one minute before we think she is ready.Sorry it takes so long- but given that we decided to clean-sheet our entire development process- it is just taking a bit longer.This will pay dividends with subsequent releases however- so we are looking forward to having this one under our belt as well!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Wow, that dates more than seven years back and contains only 2 pages. Impressive, i will remember you! :(
Haha thanks bro! Big%20Grin.gif Yeah some smart dude seems to have made it a sticky, which most likely is the only reason for it to have become viewed more than a dozen times... :(Big%20Grin.gifsig.gif

Gents-(And a few of you who haven't been... tsk tsk...)Just a thought on the debate about release dates (and my apparently ill received humor in posting a "when it is completed" release update! LOL)Now and then, users will ask if we would a ) announce a release date and/or b ) consider pre-selling the NGX and allowing folks to have access to beta versions.From our standpoint- there is one very solid reason for never doing either: Keeping the entire process to ourselves, and under our own control without artificial responsibilities to announced dates or financially invested customers allows us the freedom to work on the project until we feel it is finished.We have had this policy in place for a decade, and it has been a successful one- as our initial release day product quality has improved with each successive major release.To give you an idea- full time development on the NGX started in mid 2008... We anticipated release would take place in late 2009... then early 2010... then April...May...July... You get the picture.I realize that some folks can hardly bear to wait for release day- and this flatters us tremendously- but I promise you that the product will exceed your expectations only if we stick to our own requirements for quality and completeness.The airplane is currently exceeding our own expectations- and we are accelerating toward release... But we wont give her to you one minute before we think she is ready.Sorry it takes so long- but given that we decided to clean-sheet our entire development process- it is just taking a bit longer.This will pay dividends with subsequent releases however- so we are looking forward to having this one under our belt as well!
Thank you Robert, that may quieten the haters on here! :),I think the only thing we ask, well certainly for me, is to be kept updated on the progress.. We are in november and i am dying to see the outside of the aircraft, seeing a VC and parts of a VC for 11months is hard work :), I know you wont show us exterior shots until your ready to, but, it would be nice for another sticky "forth" in the series :)Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK